Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2009 Training Camp - Day 4 (FINAL)

bredskin

ES Coverage: 2009 Training Camp - Day 4

08/02/09

TC084.JPG

:helmet:

Hello and welcome to ES coverage for Day 4, at Redskins training camp from Ashburn. I’m Bredskin, back on site with Murf. We will be bringing you coverage live from the park. There are two scheduled sessions today, 8:30AM (open to the public) and at 3:00PM (Closed to the public).

We will be updating throughout the day. It is going to be in the high 70s to lower 80s today, with possible heavy to severe storms later on this morning. Let’s hope not!!

AUDIO

MORNING

To listen to comments from Fred Davis listen HERE

To listen to comments from Albert Haynesworth listen HERE

To listen to comments from LaRon Landry listen HERE

To listen to comments from Rocky McIntosh listen HERE

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo listen HERE

To listen to comments from Chris Samuels listen HERE

AFTERNOON

To listen to comments from Lorenzo Alexander listen HERE

To listen to comments from Kevin Barnes listen HERE

To listen to comments from London Fletcher listen HERE

PHOTOS

MORNING

Photos 1

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=293106

Photos 2

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=293107

AFTERNOON

Photos 3

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=293145

Photos 4

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=293146

TWITTER UPDATES

Eastern Motors fan club:

http://twitpic.com/ci3fh

Fred "Sleepy" Davis:

http://twitpic.com/cih6k

Andre Carter:

http://twitpic.com/cih9x

REFFKIN'S RAMBLINGS - MORNING SESSION

The Redskins just wrapped up the morning practice. There were a couple of bouts of steady rain, but for the most part, it was light. Carlos Rogers was held out due to the sore calf. He told us that it was precautionary due to the wet turf. Cornelius Griffin was caught in a pile-up with Randy Thomas, and was slow to get up. He got back into the action after sitting out a couple of plays. The practice seemed more spirited and physical this morning, than yesterday.

After a poor showing yesterday, the offensive line seemed to make some progress. It was not obvious improvement; I had to look for it.

Clinton Portis opened the scrimmage with a nice run to the left side. But, for the most part the defensive line still ruled the day, especially the first team. Haynesworth, Orakpo, and Carter were consistently in the QBs laps throughout the 11 on 11s and the 9 on 9s. I will say that the second team offensive line fared better than the first. Mike Williams showed some signs of life in some physical battles with Supplemental Third Round Pick Jeremy Jarmon. I would say that it was an even matchup, both getting the better of each other on a few occasions. It is still safe to say, Williams is a work in progress.

The young receiving corps looked good again with Devin Thomas running with the starting unit in three wide receiver sets. He made a couple of catches and ran very crisp routes. Malcolm Kelly also shined with a spectacular first down catch. Fred Davis also had a nice grab, but subsequently dropped a wide open pass a couple of plays later.

The quarterback play was very shaky this morning. Jason Campbell was under constant pressure, even in the 9 on 9s, when the defense was only rushing two. For the most part, he still appears to be holding on to the ball too long, which led to two interceptions, one by Chris Horton, one by Byron Westbrook. Todd Collins did not perform any better, getting picked off by Michael Grant. Colt performed relatively well against the third and fourth teams, and the fans love him for it.

The defensive line looked menacing again this morning. Hopefully they are that good, and the offensive line isn’t that bad. In nickel situations, the lineup was Orakpo at right defensive end, Carter at left defensive end, and Daniels and Haynesworth at defensive tackles. They were creating a ridiculous amount of pressure. If you are wondering how Brian Orakpo looks at defensive end, he is very impressive. He is quick and strong and appears to be a natural right defensive end. He continues to look good at linebacker as well. It looks like he is going to be everything he is being built up to be. He is a player.

Stay tuned, the closed, afternoon practice will gear up at 3:00PM (barring weather). We’ll keep you posted.

Just shorts and shells this afternoon...

REFFKIN'S RAMBLINGS – EVENING SESSION

The afternoon practice just wrapped up at Redskins Park. The skies turned sunny and the heat rolled in. It was a spirited practice highlighted by some pushing and shoving between Kedric Golston and Mike Sellers. But, for the most part, it went at a leisurely pace.

Much of the defense had the afternoon off, including Albert Haynesworth, Carlos Rogers, and Anthony Montgomery. It is difficult to critique a practice when there is little to no contact. I was surprised how little running went on today and how little contact there actually was. The days of having 120 players to bang against each other are over, I suppose.

Much of my focus was on the receivers, as I grew tired of watching the defensive and offensive lines stand around. I was impressed with the crisp routes the receiving corps ran. I particularly focused in on Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, and Marques Hagans. All three showed excellent footwork going into their cuts. All three finished off all of their repetitions without letting a ball hit the grass. If any of you are wondering about Kelly’s knee, he looked strong and fluid. He is moving very well and wearing no type of covering or brace. If he can stay healthy, he will contribute this season. At 6-5 and 225 lbs., he is the procession receiver the Redskin offense has been lacking for some time. The quarterbacks also looked relatively sharp as well. With that being said, there was no offensive line or defensive line involved.

The afternoon practice wrapped up with some light 11 on 11 drills. For the most part, things looked similar to the last couple of practices, defense ruled the day. Stephon Heyer and Mike Williams had their hands full with guys like Renaldo Wynn and Jeremy Jarmon. Kevin Barnes made a touchdown-saving breakup, knocking the ball away from Devin Thomas. Justin Tryon also continued his solid play as well. But, if the defense was actually allowed to hit the quarterback, it would have been a sack-fest. All in all, it was a slow and forgettable practice session.

I would like to thank those of you for your kind words so far. It has been a pleasure to keep the ExtremeSkins faithful informed. Murf will be back on site tomorrow afternoon with another newbie, NoLeafClover. I will be back at Redskins Park Thursday.

MURF'S TAKE

Today was the tale of two practices. This morning, with fans in attendance, had a business-like feel to it. Even with the less-than-perfect weather, the pace and tempo of the session was solid and steady. This afternoon? Not so much.

With practice closed to the general public, things were completely different right from the moment the players exited the building and trotted down the steps. I couldn’t help but crack up listening to Chris Cooley and Colt Brennan take turns butchering the words to “I’m on a Boat” as they headed onto the field. If the “Hard Knocks” series wasn’t such a joke, I’d put in a call tomorrow ordering them NFL Films to put a camera on Cooley and Brennan at all times.

One concern I had this morning was that the team was pushing on a little more than I probably cared to see. As previously stated, the weather sucked and the field was damp. Several times during nine-on-nines an offensive or defensive lineman would lose their footing and hit the deck hard. Guys like Cornelius Griffin, Randy Thomas and Casey Rabach each ate it, but thankfully no one was seriously hurt. My biggest fear this morning was a Phillip Daniels type of injury because the team was pushing too hard on a soggy field.

Otherwise, there wasn’t much else to report. As has been the case for much of the week, guys like Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly looked good on offense. The one other player I’d add to that list from today was Todd Yoder. He’s not flashy, but he’s dependable. If someone threw it his way, Yoder caught it.

Someone who had issues catching the ball this morning was Roydell Williams. He dropped back-to-back “gimmies,” but we later learned he banged up his pinkie finger, and he even wore a splint for practice #2.

The morning practice ended with the offense getting three cracks at their two-minute drill. Well, technically it was a 1:30 drill, but that doesn’t sound as catchy. Unfortunately, the offense did nothing to inspire confidence during any of these three “drives.”

The first one, which was run by the starters, would have ended with a 47-yard field goal attempt by Shaun Suisham in mucky conditions. The second attempt, which was run by Todd Collins and the second stringers, was even worse. They would have left Suisham with a 53-yard attempt. The final effort was by far the worse. On the second play my man Chris “The Predator” Horton picked off Jason Campbell and that was that. Let’s just say points might be tough to come by this year.

Onto the afternoon session, which was drastically different from the morning. We already mentioned Cooley and Colt singing SNL skits to each other, but that wasn’t the only difference. In all, the guys wore shells and the practice had a lackadaisical feel to it. Going through the motion would be a fair and accurate way to describe things.

I mentioned some of the offensive performers earlier, so let me take a moment to highlight some defensive guys. Everyone out here is raving about Brian Orakpo, and deservedly so. But fellow rookie and defensive end Jeremy Jarmon has consistently caught my attention. After reading around on the internet, I came into camp convinced he’d be nothing more than a practice squad guy standing around learning the system so he could begin to play next season. That’s not been the case at all. Jarmon is getting regular reps and doesn’t look out of place, which is way more than a reasonable person could have expected at this point.

I’d give shout out to some of the other guys, but here’s a list of most of the guys who sat out at one point or another this afternoon: Anthony Montgomery, Roydell Williams, J.D. Skolnitsky (who shockingly, is still here), Carlos Rogers, Albert Haynesworth, Phillip Daniels and Cornelius Griffin. Like I said, it was much more laid back the second time around.

The coolest part of the afternoon practice for me was seeing Antwaan Randle El go out of his way to work with “Daredevil” Keith Eloi while the receivers were working on route running. The coaches were letting Eloi know he wasn’t performing up to the standard and without hesitation Randle El pulled him aside and made sure the youngster understood what was expected of him. It was a very cool moment, and completely different from 24 hours earlier when guys like Griffin were verbally abusing Skolnitsky for being slow to catch on.

And finally, I close with the annual “Kedric Golston gets into a physical altercation with (insert name here) during training camp.” Chris Samuels and I joked that camp deosn’t officially start until Golston gets into it with someone. With Jon Jansen gone, we all wondered who would step in to fill the void. Well, the answer was Mike Sellers.

It looked like Golston initially got into it with someone else (possibly even center Edwin Williams), but the next thing you know, Sellers took off his helmet and had plenty to say to Golston. He threw his helmet down, in the general direction of Golston, while screaming, “I’m trying to break up a fight.” Of course, it was over in a flash and everyone is fine, but it at least gave folks around here something to remember from an otherwise mundane afternoon session.

That’s all from me, folks. Tomorrow’s practice is at 3 p.m. and I’ll be back then.

Hail.

can you confirm if there is practice this morning? Heard it rained hard last night and the field was still soaked

We are in the media room now and fans are lined up around the block...it would be news to us if practice was cancelled.....

looks like practice is on.

I know that our offensive line isnt that great ... but I think our d-line is that good. Carter and Griffin are two guys who shouldnt be the stars on the d-line, but as pieces to the puzzle, they are nasty. Carter has been a monster at times with the Skins, he just gets no help.

Adding Haynesworth, Orakpo and even Jarmon is going to make our d-line fierce.

In nickel situations, the lineup was Orakpo at right defensive end, Carter at left defensive end, and Daniels and Haynesworth at defensive tackles. They were creating a ridiculous amount of pressure. If you are wondering how Brian Orakpo looks at defensive end, he is very impressive. He is quick and strong and appears to be a natural right defensive end. He continues to look good at linebacker as well. It looks like he is going to be everything he is being built up to be. He is a player.

This little blurb excited me the most. If they play the way they're practicing, the defense is going to be absolutely lights out this season! :D

I'm really starting to get worried about Campbell.

Well by all accounts, he's clearly been the best QB in camp. Everbody's mancrush Colt isn't outplaying anyone, and Todd is Todd. Then again, with Todd you at least know he's going to make quick smart decisions in a game situation.

Don't stress on Campbell. If you're going to worry about anything on just the fourth day of training camp, then you should worry about the offensive line not being able to give any QB more than a three-step drop to release the ball.

really starting? That is the understatement of the month, and it is

only Aug. 2nd. You don't like Campbell, it is well documented.

Why don't you mention that your temp. for Tebow, Colt has looked, eh meh. From all accounts Campbell has not looked bad, the OL on the other hand has looked horrid, or is it the DL looks like the FO finally knows what it is doing. Oh, but that could never be eh Greg?

Archived