Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5yr old daughter Abby..scary night on Thursday

RabidFan

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that Abby got hurt bad yesterday. We got a call from her Daycare around 3:45 saying that she fell on the playground monkey bars and might have broken her arm. We went to pick her up and it was swollen so we took her to Prince William Hospital where they took some Xrays and confirmed a break. She also was throwing up a lot so they did a Head CT scan and luckily that was all clear so no concussion or other damage. They think the vomiting stemmed from a combination of pain, duress, and the morphine they gave her. The Xrays show a significant break which would require surgery, so they set up an ambulance ride for me and her to be transported to Fairfax Inova hospital around 8pm last night as they have one of the best children’s Orthopedic Surgeons in the area. They immolized her arm in a splint for transport and we headed to INova.

We go there and were admitted to their ER and took two more Xrays for their surgeon so he could see them from home and they scheduled us for surgery at 745am this morning. Kristen and I both stayed with her in the hospital last night and Kristen went into the OR with her until she fell asleep. The break was right about the elbow in the upper arm humerus bone. They were able to avoid an incision and put three diagonal pins using and Xray to reconnect her elbow to the humerus bone and put her in a splint with a sling. She came out of her operation and for two hours we were in Post Op until she woke up and was doing better from being put under during the procedure. She is now back in her room from last night and the Dr. should be checking on her this afternoon and if all is well(her pain is ok and manageable, circulation is good in her fingers(which it is now), they determine that her bone is set in place without any shifting(this is important due to her growth plate is in that same area and she will need follow ups to make sure it is growing/extending/hanging/pointing in line with her other arm(this will take several follow ups over some time), she will be discharged this afternoon and home with us tonite. We will go back on Wed of next week to get the pins removed and have a hard cast put on for the next four weeks….she gets her choice of color which of course is pi nk but the Dr. told her of Tie Dye and Glow in the Dark as being available too.

I came home just now to shower then go back and relieve Kristen as Abby is sleeping after such a long night and stressful event. She has been so brave and strong during this and I can’t tell you how proud we are of her and happy that she is seeming to come out of this healthy and with her usual great attitude. I just wanted to let you all know so if you heard from one person or another you’d get the whole scoop at once.

*Note to parents, every damn nurse and Dr we have met have said that they see these same elbow and arm breaks ALL coming from monkey bar incidents….the Dr actually worked on 3 kids last night alone and the ambulance driver had transported 2 others to other hospitals that day. I told Abby no more for now and she isn’t fighting me..LOL

A very stressful day and night yesterday as well as this morning but our brave lil girl seems to be more than up to the task and I hope we can let you know that she is home with us tonite.

***She came home with us yesterday...scary predicament...but all seems well and she is braver than I ever was as a kid with broken bones(2 arms and a kneecap at diff times).

We watched Redskins Nation weekend together today. :)

Broke my arm on the monkey bars when I was 8. It didn't set right and they had to re-break it. I was in a cast for 8 months.

Now you would never know by looking. Broke my wrist, both bones in my lower arm, fractured my elbow, and broke the humerus. I didn't cry which freaked my Dad out even more.

I wish her a speedy recovery and you and Kristen will probably need to have a couple glasses of wine tonight to settle down.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Kids heal so fast, I'm sure she'll heal up before you know it.

We purchased one of those Rainbow playgrounds for our kids (5 and 2 at the time) and they STRONGLY advised us to not add the monkey bars until they get older, at least 8 if I recall correctly. I'm surprised a daycare would allow 5 year olds to play on the monkey bars at all.

It always sucks to see your kid in pain. My daughter just had surgery last Wednesday, and it's not alot of fun for anyone concerned. Kids are surprisingly strong and resilient however. She hasn't needed any kind of pain medication Since Thursday and is back to her normal self for the most part.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm sure she'll be fine in no time.

It always sucks to see your kid in pain. My daughter just had surgery last Wednesday, and it's not alot of fun for anyone concerned. Kids are surprisingly strong and resilient however. She hasn't needed any kind of pain medication Since Thursday and is back to her normal self for the most part.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm sure she'll be fine in no time.

best wishes for your little one too China!

Broke my arm on the monkey bars when I was 8. It didn't set right and they had to re-break it. I was in a cast for 8 months.

Now you would never know by looking. Broke my wrist, both bones in my lower arm, fractured my elbow, and broke the humerus. I didn't cry which freaked my Dad out even more.

I wish her a speedy recovery and you and Kristen will probably need to have a couple glasses of wine tonight to settle down.

That same thing happened to me at 10....our Dr wasn't avail so we used the one at the hospital(FYI my wrist was so broken that my palm was lying flat on my underarm....yikes)....he didn't set it right and i was in pain so my mom called our Dr. the next day and he came by, chewed out the hospital then re-broke and reset my wrist and i was gold.

Daughter is doing great, her attitude is amazing and we actually played with PlayDoh today so she is coming along....Thanks for the encouraging words here, you can always count on ES'ers.

Glad she's doing okay.

Do they no longer have the Redskins cast? I remember when I was younger they had those as an option.

First off, I wish your little one a speedy recovery. Lil Kaos (my daughter) is famous for banging her self up (from mild sprains to vision losing concussions) and it never gets any easier. The feeling of helplessness is gut wrenching but their ability to put it all behind them and get on with being a kid is amazing. I wish I could bottle it.

As for the casts, I havent seen a redskins cast persay but when I banged up my ankle a few months back the Dr. was gonna wrap it in B&G but was out of gold so i got all burgundy.

Sorry to hear your little one suffered a relatively severe break. Sounds like she received top notch treatment and will pull through this in great shape!! Good luck!

Sidenote: Yes, the monkey bars are the devil. Snowboards suck too. I can't even count all the number casts I put on kids from these two activities. At my dad's ortho practice, we always saw a spike in arm injuries at the start of each school year due to monkey bars. Same spike in wrist/arm injuries at the start of ski season with all the snowboarders. It's like clockwork. The good news is that since these have become such common injuries, the orthos have made treatment a fine science and have lots of practice treating these injuries. :)

First off I'm glad your little one is doing well, as a somewhat new Dad "my daughter is 3", I can't imagine how terrifying it is having your child go through anything tramatic.

I've heard many stories about kids getting bad breaks on the monkey bars. I'd like to think we could do something to make them safer, or replace it with something else. Just something I'm going to worry about as my lil one plays.

*UPDATE*....My daughter went to get her cast this morning with my wife and she told me she was going to get tie dye color but when the guy showed her the colors she said something to effect of "I see Redskins colors" pointing at the burgundy and yellow. The guy casting her thus gave her a combo of burgundy and yellow and was happy and my wife told him I'd be happy since I'm a lifelong fan and even a member of ES...he said he was too and he is the ES member "LightAgent"...small world.

I got home and she said "Look, I got a Redskins cast and did it cause I'd knew you'd like it Daddy"....warms me heart I tells ya.

I have a pic but don't have an account and never have posted a pic but my wife said Life Agent also took a pic so could you post it bro? Thanks for being so cool with my daughter...at her age its all about how people treat them. You're the best!!

Archived