Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best DC Date Ideas

Thinking Skins

Yesterday I went out with some of my friends (mostly ladies), and as always the topic of relationships came up. Well, they started telling some stories about their best dates and I was kinda impressed. Given, I could hold my own in the conversation, but I did learn a few ideas.

Anyway, I figured I'd see if I could learn any more if I started a discussion here and asked for ideas.

Some of the stuff thats been on my mind lately to try out are

- the FDR Memorial and maybe a picnic along the shore next to it.

- the Smithsonian Jazz Cafe

- some spots in Georgetown and Dupont Circle

- a water taxi on the National Harbor.

- The Botanical Gardens.

Anyway I'd be curious to hear of other ideas.

I kinda get the feeling that some of your female friends see you as one of the girls, not a potential suitor.

Anyway, DC is filled with wonderful places to have dates. Georgetown waterfront is cool, but other than that it is tourists. There are a few good restaurants over there too, but there are good restaurants throughout the city.

A good date is a date where you plan it out but leave room for spontaneous potential.

I kinda get the feeling that some of your female friends see you as one of the girls, not a potential suitor.

Anyway, DC is filled with wonderful places to have dates. Georgetown waterfront is cool, but other than that it is tourists. There are a few good restaurants over there too, but there are good restaurants throughout the city.

A good date is a date where you plan it out but leave room for spontaneous potential.

I'm a big fan of this. Just walk around a bit somewhere. If it sucks, you can bail out, if it doesn't, then chances are you will end up somewhere interesting for dinner or some nice event.

I'd need to know the city better. In Knoxville, I know of nice little places that are quiet and great to get to know someone. One of my ideas was to get some light take-out food (like sushi if they are into it) and go to a nearby park bench that most people wouldn't know existed, right by a creek and all.

Brookside Gardens in Wheaton has worked for me. It's laid out a bit like a Japanese Garden with Pagodas, but you have a nice open space for picnicing, geese and ducks, some easy walking trails, and nice botanical stuff... it's generally a quiet place too.

There is a book called "on this spot in history", which gives the locations of famous episodes in US history which occured in DC. Were Lincoln saw the largest troop review in US history. Put on by General McClellan after the Unions disasterous defeat at first Manasas. Where Elenor Roosevelts favorite spot was to get away and be by herself. Where Bob Woodward used to meet Deep throat. The walking path which Booth took out of DC after he shot Lincoln. If your date is into the city or History, going to some of those spots is a great date idea....

Heck if you are into History, taking a tour of Gettysburg, or Manassas is a great idea too. although maybe not for most dates. Seeing little round top and knowing what the men of Maine did there, or Picket's Charge, or seeing the tree and plackard marking "the high mark of the confederacy" are all very interesting special things.

I also like the Segway tours and Duck Tours of DC depending upon how young, athletic or risk taker that you are dating.

The Smithsonian hosts weekly talks on different subjects. Among the folks I've heard speak at smithsonian events of 30-40 people are Steve Martin, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and Richard Branson.. The popular folks fill up quick, but most weeks/months you can find a really interesting gathering and the cost is very reasonable. You can schedule the entire thing online.

The Loudin county vinards. I don't know if anybody knows it. It's one of the best secrets of the area. but we are sitting on a wine revival going on out in Laudin County 45 minutes outside of DC. It's like visiting NAPA in the 1970's.

There are about 20-30 vinards just outside of DC area where you can go on wine tastings/tours, eat fresh baked French bread and Brie cheese or trouffle pate. You can even hire a limo and go to three or four vinards at a time, a lot of folks get a group together to do this. If you go to one vinard. like the Breux vinard I went to last weekend, get yourself a loudin county vinard passport. Collect a few different stamps in your passport from the different vinards and they give you a prize.

The embassy circuit. There are regular parties at the embassies in the DC areas where the different countries publisize their goods. Open to the public. Drink German, New Zeland, Spanish, French or Austrialian wine etc. You have to get dressed up for these, but chicks did that. It's a fun, cheap way to pass the time. They have an email list anouncing the parties, inquire at any embassy.

The Anapolis boat show is coming in October... That's always a fun couple of weeks. They have the power boat show one weekend and then next weekend is the sail boat show. I always go to the sail boat show.

Speaking of Sailing, if you are a sailor rather than a power boat type of person, we have one of the finest sailing schools in the world down in Anapolis. The Annapolis Sailing School. Sign up for a class with your sweetie and learn how to sail over a weekend. Or better yet take the two weekend class and get your bare boat charter certificate which allows you to go down the Caribean and charter boats yourself. It's a great way to see the Caribean sailing two or three hours a day and grilling out under the stars going from free US park service moorings to free British park service moorings for a week to ten days.

Go down to the old post office pavilian on thursday night and listen to them ring the bells. Their is a food court there, also a few nice restaurants. It's a quick fine evening for folks who live in the city. Visit the pavilian other than thursday to go up in the tower and see the view from the second highest spot in the city.

Get a book of the memorials in DC and visit statues of the famous generals, figure out the secret of the Einsteen memorial infront of the Institute of Science on constitution avenue (hint has to do with elipses). Go down to 14th and F and check out the picture which is on the 10$ bill. Go to the willard hotel wine bar and have a glass overlooking the white house.

Thats definitely true. Some don't though, and some try to blur the lines. I just take it for what its worth. I can sit and deny it all I want, but all that leads to is me wishing I had more guy friends. I still get to go out on dates and stuff - sometimes with some of them, but hanging out is a relief from spending a day on research.

Archived