Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2009 Redskins are once again UNDER THE RADAR!!

TheShredder

Where are the "drastic improvements" on the offensive line that you speak of?

Last I checked, Samuels and Thomas are a year older.

Heyer continues to be a question mark. Williams is an even bigger one as he's been out of football for a few years.

Oh wait...I forgot about Dockery. He played on a bad Buffalo o-line, and management there was willing to let him walk and plug in two rookies to help correct their problems. I think that gives us some sense of indication in regards to what he brings to the table. While not horrid, he's certainly not the "missing link" so to speak.

Last but not least, depth is still a concern on the offensive line.

Personally, I see this team as having a ceiling in terms of it's success. That ceiling being approximately 9 wins if everything goes right. However, I do see this team as having a chance of bottoming out and pulling off a 4 or 5 win season.

Don't be surprised if you see the bottom fall out as early as '09.

No denying that but when I see the current trends of the two divisions I still think that's changing. Last year the South was amazing, just wait until Carolina, Atlanta, and New Orleans all get in the playoffs and were all scratching for the divison crown to get it, that's what I see happening soon, probably starting this year

carolina will not repeat with delhomme at QB. saints still have no defense and hopefully that changes for them, and the falcons hinge on ryan and their defense. tampa bay is in total rebuild mode.

our division is still the most dominant. it may shift somewhat but i highly doubt it, especially with the marketability of the 4 huge markets that our division features.

Maybe, but the past only plays a part in this arguement and your placing too much importance on it in my eyes

What else can you go on? After all, last season is the past as well and you are using last sesaon to back your argument. So why wouldn't you go back at least a few years to see the trend.

I agree that Atlanta will get better, the Saints will get better...heck, the whole freaking league will get better. Don't you think EVERY team is going to be better every year? Its not like the East isn't going to get better as well.

carolina will not repeat with delhomme at QB. saints still have no defense and hopefully that changes for them, and the falcons hinge on ryan and their defense. tampa bay is in total rebuild mode.

our division is still the most dominant. it may shift somewhat but i highly doubt it, especially with the marketability of the 4 huge markets that our division features.

Exactly. Delhomme is not that good. They have several question marks. How much longer is Steve Smith going to be a threat?

The Bucs have a TON of question marks.

Lets wait for Ryan to be in the league more than one year to make a fair assessment.

The Saints need to get better on defense before they can go any further.

Simple really, the NFC isn't as good as the AFC. Couple that with a devision like the NFC South where they beat the crap out of one another every year basically canceling each other out of the equation. Put any NFC East team in the NFC South and they would have a hell of a hard time in there. And last year the NFC South had just as many teams in the playoffs that the NFC East did and you have a swing of power. Brees and Ryan tipped the scales to the NFC South as the power house devision last year and it's just the beginning.

Just don't see it that way. The East is better top to bottom than the South. NFC East Record vs. NFC South Last Year (4-0)

Dallas beats Tampa Bay

Philly beats Atlanta

NYG beat Carolina

Wash beat N.O.

We will see this year as we are head to head vs NFC South this year. I still think you are wrong...the NFC East has more complete teams than the south, by far. We are talking the 3rd, 4th, and 5th and 8th ranked defenses in the NFL all in the same division. If it isn't #1, it's a very close #2

it still doesnt matter about how good our teams are. this division will dominate football forever now matter how bad any of the teams get. its philly, new york, dallas, and washington, four ENORMOUS markets with decades of history, and rabid fan bases that have been going for decades as well.

its like the yankees, red sox, dodgers, phillies, mets. no matter how bad they play, theyre always gonna get media coverage cause of their location. the royals could win 122 games, and itd probably be a blurb on espn right under the latest Arod book signing, and a diagram of josh becketts thumb blister.

it still doesnt matter about how good our teams are. this division will dominate football forever now matter how bad any of the teams get. its philly, new york, dallas, and washington, four ENORMOUS markets with decades of history, and rabid fan bases that have been going for decades as well.

its like the yankees, red sox, dodgers, phillies, mets. no matter how bad they play, theyre always gonna get media coverage cause of their location. the royals could win 122 games, and itd probably be a blurb on espn right under the latest Arod book signing, and a diagram of josh becketts thumb blister.

:hysterical:@ beckett coment

well put...

I love how the crux of the OP was "Who's going to catch the ball?"

Championships are not won by teams with the best WRs, they are won by the teams with the best lines and best QBs. We are at best 3rd-best in our own division in either category. Until that improves, bragging about our (still unproven) WR core is like bragging about rims on Yugo.

Definition: verifiable truth; reality.

None of your post is based in reality....

Steve Smith, Hixon, and the new rookie. They have plenty of ball catchers. As well as having a great RB. And we lost to them twice last year.

The Eagles WR's as a whole are better then ours. There QB is much better then ours. They got a lot better this offseason

Dallas will rely more on the run then the pass, they have possibily three starting NFL RB's on the team. There Defense is great and they lost no one worth sweating. They've got a major chip on there shoulders and as much as I'd love to see them go sub .500 I'd bet against that in a heartbeat

Ummm no. It makes perfect sense to me. The Giants won the SB two seasons ago, Dallas was 13-3 two years ago, the Eagles went to the NFC Championship game last year. Those sir are what is known as facts. I don't like saying this because I'm arguing with a blind homer but the truth is WE SHOULD BE PICKED LAST. I like it much better that way as should you. Forget the stupid offseason rankings, the only thing that matters is what happens on the field.

Yup, Giants won two years ago. Dallas was 13-3 two years ago. Eagles finished strong last year. But that's all in the past.

The Giants don't have the pass catchers you say they have. Steve Smith isn't a #1. Dallas doesn't have a #1. Philly doesn't have a #1 and they lost their D guru. Although pass first offenses (like Philly) don't win SB's (unless you count NE) then it's easy to look at the run defense for superiority. I think the Skins are ahead of all 3 with the additions to that same D that was just dropped picks or a couple of tricky bounces away from finishing at the top.

Threads are great for difference of opinions, so thanks or responding :cool2:

My premise for being under the radar is that media that won't give the Skins a look until they are 6-0 or in the NFC Championship game. It's biased and maybe rightfully so. I'm an optimist and just like every year, I keep my thoughts going in the right direction. I like the moves and think the 2nd year guys will find a way to get in the game and make a difference. I am fueled by the fact that JC has to let loose and is in the right position to take that step right here and right now.

HTTR !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

If by "flying under the radar" you mean that you believe we are being underestimated and most aren't picking us to do much, then yes.

If you mean "flying under the radar" as in nobody is aware of us or paying attention to what we've done in the offseason, then I disagree.

However, I believe this team has the potential to win the division this season, and have a deep playoff run. A lot has to come together for them to realize that potential, and I'm hopeful it all will.

Lets be serious, until Kelly, Davis, and Thomas prove them selves on the field, how you can count them and discount the Cowboys, Roy Williams, Jason Witten, and Patrick Crayton. Thats a better combo than Moss, ARE, and Cooley.

----------------------------

I don't disagree with the first part of that sentence but the second part is highly debatable. I call a draw at the min.

Definition: verifiable truth; reality.

None of your post is based in reality....

Steve Smith, Hixon, and the new rookie. They have plenty of ball catchers. As well as having a great RB. And we lost to them twice last year.

The Eagles WR's as a whole are better then ours. There QB is much better then ours. They got a lot better this offseason

Dallas will rely more on the run then the pass, they have possibily three starting NFL RB's on the team. There Defense is great and they lost no one worth sweating. They've got a major chip on there shoulders and as much as I'd love to see them go sub .500 I'd bet against that in a heartbeat

Ummm no. It makes perfect sense to me. The Giants won the SB two seasons ago, Dallas was 13-3 two years ago, the Eagles went to the NFC Championship game last year. Those sir are what is known as facts. I don't like saying this because I'm arguing with a blind homer but the truth is WE SHOULD BE PICKED LAST. I like it much better that way as should you. Forget the stupid offseason rankings, the only thing that matters is what happens on the field.

Quoted for truth. Also, Cerrato has made little to no changes to our offensive line. Our defense has been beefed up, everything else is still pretty much the same.

Quoted for truth. Also, Cerrato has made little to no changes to our offensive line. Our defense has been beefed up, everything else is still pretty much the same.

I'd say little to some changes, don't be surprised if a new center is not snapping the ball by season or during the season. Thomas is healthy,sorta. Dock is an upgrade over Kendall, hopefully. And Jansen is gone, RT is a question mark but hope for the best.

predictions are pretty much determined by who everyone finished last season or in other words, EXTENSIONS of last seasons standings. with that said,if most of these "experts" who predict and rank were to bet their life savings on their predictions, they would be broke by the end of the season.

although i will say that more teams than not will live up to or live down to the predictions. and lately the redskins seem to live down to these predictions. we just take these things too personal here as fans.

We've replaced 2 againg starters in Kendall and Jansen with younger guys, Dockery and Heyer.

Rinehart is playing in place of Randy Thomas right now. This offseason we re-tooled the DL. How do you next offseason we don't bring in a new C and RT (if needed, depends on Heyer)? You can't fix everything in just 1 offseason.

And you really need to wait until after preseason, when the starters have been assigned, before you can claim "everything else is still pretty much the same." An offense with 2 younger OL starting, maybe 3, with Devin Thomas maybe at WR2 instead of ARE, ARE maybe at WR3 instead of Thrash, and maybe a younger, quicker RB in the mix as well, and maybe Davis seeing more action, all adds up to a much younger, potentially much more explosive offense, then the unit that ended the '08 season.

Archived