Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo! Sports: Best/Worst Offseaon

MattFancy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-2009_ross_tucker_07_01_offseason&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

The Bad … The Skins salivated over both Cutler and Mark Sanchez(notes) and came up empty twice, alienating presumptive starting quarterback Jason Campbell(notes) in the process. So much for instilling confidence in your signal caller. They also gave $41 million guaranteed to Albert Haynesworth(notes), who had significant issues playing hard earlier in his career. What exactly is Haynesworth’s motivation now? They also overpaid for DeAngelo Hall(notes), considering there was not a large market, given his subpar performance in Oakland. Their top draft choice, Brian Orakpo(notes), has a questionable motor and moving him to the strong-side linebacker position makes him a project with the 13th overall pick.

But … Derrick Dockery(notes) helps inject some relative youth on the offensive line and could return to previous levels of performance now that he is back under the tutelage of Joe Bugel. If you overlook the high percentage that is guaranteed, Washington was able to secure the services of the most dominant interior defense force in the league for a reasonable $12 million a year for the next four seasons should Haynesworth play at the level of 2007-08. Orakpo has as much upside as any player taken in the draft, and now it is up to defensive coordinator Greg Blache to convert potential into production.

Orakpo a questionable motor? That's honestly the first time I have heard of that

Was thinking the same thing.

So we had a bad offseason because addressed needs but paid alot of money for them? Since when has money really been an issue for this team?

And the whole QB thing needs to stop. Campbell hasn't cried about anything and seems to be using it all as motivation.

Orakpo a questionable motor? That's honestly the first time I have heard of that

This idiot is stereotyping. Since most Texas U players are lazy he is just assuming that Orakpo is one of them. It is poor journalism and he should be ashamed that he even said that because all I hear from coaches and players from the interviews is how hard Orakpo works. Plus ESPN did an interview on him about how hard he works when he was at Texas. Idiot :doh:

Same here. I also don't think we overpayed D-Hall. The man was our top DB and only played have the season.

Me either. He led the team in ints last season in half the games. His coverage might be shaky at times,but I will give up a couple of first downs a game if I know that I might get one interception.

Even if we did over pay for him it don't matter because we have cap gurus.

Me either. He led the team in ints last season in half the games. His coverage might be shaky at times,but I will give up a couple of first downs a game if I know that I might get one interception.

Even if we did over pay for him it don't matter because we have cap gurus.

Plus Hall might show Carlos Rogers how to catch a friggin football that hits you in the hands. :doh:

Was thinking the same thing.

So we had a bad offseason because addressed needs but paid alot of money for them? Since when has money really been an issue for this team?

And the whole QB thing needs to stop. Campbell hasn't cried about anything and seems to be using it all as motivation.

I agree with everything said here.

Also, why does everyone always site DeAngelo Hall's ****ty year in Oakland, but never his above average performance as a Redskin? Why does no one mention that he got two INTs in just four starts (which was just as many as or more than every other CB on our team in ALL of 2008)? We have the potential to have the #1 D in the league in 2009 because of guys like Hall, Orakpo and Haynesworth (not to mention our returning 2008 defensive starters).

I agree with everything said here.

Also, why does everyone always site DeAngelo Hall's ****ty year in Oakland, but never his above average performance as a Redskin? Why does no one mention that he got two INTs in just four starts (which was just as many as or more than every other CB on our team in ALL of 2008)? We have the potential to have the #1 D in the league in 2009 because of guys like Hall, Orakpo and Haynesworth (not to mention our returning 2008 defensive starters).

And they also never mention how Deangelo was one of the top corners in the league when he was in Atlanta.

And they also never mention how Deangelo was one of the top corners in the league when he was in Atlanta.

Nope. They tried to pull this with Randy Moss. He was awful in Oakland. Then what happens? He goes and breaks the record for most TD receptions in a season in his first year out of there.

Moral of the story: Oakland is, quite appropriately, a black hole of talent.

Well, he wasn't one of the top corners in the league in Atlanta. He was probably the flashiest, and he had some pretty good games, but he was also known for getting abused in more than a few games as well. He was awful in Oakland because he quit on the team, sure, but let's not paint it like he was a great corner for the Falcons before that.

Hopefully, at only 25 years old, he can become a more consistent player.

No, I remember hearing how Orakpo sometimes took plays off, but nobody seemed concerned enough about it to pass him over on that alone. I'm sure once he's playing, coached up and hanging with the veterans he'll get a better work ethic. Plus, everything I heard has him being one of the more mature and hardworking guys this offseason, so articles like this seem to look more at older assessments than new ones.

Didnt you guys know this?

Trying to upgrade a weak position with a young pro-bowler, who are rarely available, is a bad thing

Upgrading a position of need by getting the BPA, and in this case, the best player at that position in the league, is a bad thing.

Locking up a player who played great for us, even though he played some bad games in the beginning of the season for a different team, is a bad thing.

You can find the bad and good in anything. This article seems to be negatively written with bias.

The quality of journalism must be decreasing, due to huge layoffs in the Newspapers Industries.

Trust me.. I work at a Newspaper and have seen it first hand. I heard a rumor, just before BIG layoffs last year, that there was a x10 drop in revenue in just a single year.

Just because of that line I am completely disregarding the article. That and because I have a hard time feeling sorry for ourselves after getting two guys like Big Al and Orakpo locked up. Sounds okay to me.

Can't say I agree with a lot of this. Seems to contradict himself re Haynesworth, we will have to wait and see. I have never heard Orakpo having a "motor" issue. D Hall is nice, but we did pay a premium for his services. This is just the beginning of the DC microscope...Haynesworth and Hall both got big money and they know it is time to prove they are worth the cash. The haters will be quick to jump on anyting but pro bowl years from both of them. Lets just win the division, beat the crap out of Dallas and have the D finish ranked #1...

Once again, anyone who depends upon the performance of players in Oakland as a guide to what they are going to do elsewhere are looking at a false trail.

Oakland does a good job of identifying talented players, signing them to outrageously large contracts (even by Washington and Dallas standards), and then putting them in systems that ILL FIT their talents.

I really expect better from Ross Tucker, he's been a quality writer for SI.com for the last couple of months. However, it appears that Peter King has turned him over to the dark side, before we know it we'll have another Mark Schlereth on our hands.

Once again, anyone who depends upon the performance of players in Oakland as a guide to what they are going to do elsewhere are looking at a false trail.

Oakland does a good job of identifying talented players, signing them to outrageously large contracts (even by Washington and Dallas standards), and then putting them in systems that ILL FIT their talents.

This is exactly the point I was going to make Oakland's defensive scheme is the complete opposite from what Hall played in Atlanta

Poor scouting by the Raiders doesn't make Hall a bad player

Archived