Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are You For/Against a Mid-Season Extension?

NoVaSkins21

Against. Against. Against. Against.

He has not shows the ability to perform over a full season, and should not be given the benefit of the doubt at all.

I still am grateful for the fact that we didn't lock him up midseason last year like Aaron Rodgers.

Your comments are a direct reason why we have been in search of a QB for so long. We had Trent Green here and failed to lock him up when we saw his worth, then he bolted for St Louis. Green would have solidified our QB situation for years, and allowed us to draft other valued positions. I say if we start of 4-1, we lock him up. Our issue is protection, it is very hard to make an accurate pass on you back.

Bengal224ord

:dallasuck

Ok, lets say Jason Campbell is lighting it up by the middle of the season. Lets say he has 12 Td's, 3 int's, and we are sitting at 6-2 or better. Do you want us to extend his contract so we can lock him up, or do you want to wait the whole season and take a risk at him signing with another team?

I think if he is playing that well, that we should extend him and make him our Franchise quarterback.

He has not shows the ability to perform over a full season, and should not be given the benefit of the doubt at all.

I still am grateful for the fact that we didn't lock him up midseason last year like Aaron Rodgers.

A. Couldn't you have put these thoughts in the thread that was just made about Campbell's shaky position?

B. I think that if he's playing that well, maybe you wait to see what he looks like in the game after the bye, or even a couple after that, and then offer an extension. There's no rush. Its not like he's going to be further insulted if he doesn't get an offer by X time, if he wants to stay then he will, and offering it after week 8 or after (hopefully) the playoffs isn't going to change anything, except how smart the offer is.

I personally say wait, and if he's played so well the second half, to go along with those first half stats, that the amount we need to offer him to keep him skyrockets, so be it, he deserves it and we've got our franchise QB.

Being convinced that the second half slide was not Campbell's fault anymore than a lot of other factors, I'd definitely extend him. I think the odds of another second half collapse after a hot start is small, and if it happens, it won't be Campbell's fault. On top of that, I don't think Colt or Todd can be starters, there's no other 2010 free agent QBs I'd want more than JC, and any decent rookie will probably be out of reach. JC is the best bet, and if he does stink it up next year, we're in big trouble.

I think you have to start negociations, if you havent already started to show him even if you cant get a deal worked out, that you want him.

That way, if you get thru the season and youre happy with his performance you got the basis of a deal. If not, you can franchise and trade, or part ways, or whatver you want

Is this a serious question? :doh:

Because re-signing a guy half-way through a season with way more questions than answers against him thus far in his career, however well he might be playing at that point, would be totally asinine and to our detriment.

How would you feel if, situations reversed, last year had been a contract year, and we'd of given him a big, fat, juicy contract at half way, only to see him capitulate with the rest of the O from there on out?

Contracts should have to be earned, not given out "just because", and if he lasts through 16 games or more next year, then the chances are he'll of earned one. Until then, he deserves nothing.

Hail.

This.

Performing half the season well won't be enough. He MUST be lights out for the 16 game season. Why extend a guy who only does good for half the year?

This.

Performing half the season well won't be enough. He MUST be lights out for the 16 game season. Why extend a guy who only does good for half the year?

Exactly. Then you've got another Tony Romo sits to pee on your hands long-term. :D

How would you feel if, situations reversed, last year had been a contract year, and we'd of given him a big, fat, juicy contract at half way, only to see him capitulate with the rest of the O from there on out?

I disagree.

I think that last season the fact that he had so few TDs mid-season would have been a limitation ni the negotiations. Given the year he was having mid-season though, I would think that talks would have started, but I don't think we'd try to sign him to a Romo sits to pee style contract.

I mean, just like the people here mention, things like the fact that it took him four (five) years to get to wherever he gets to will come up in contract negotiations. There will be questions of whether this is a one year wonder or "the new JC". There will be questions of how much better he can continue to get.

I see the negotiations with JC getting pretty messy. And I'd like to see them start earlier, but only if he's having a year that shows that he deserves a new contract.

I also don't doubt that Snyder will be able to sign him after the season before Campbell hits free agency though (if Campbell has a mediocre first half and a real good second half of the season).

Threads like these are really hypothetical jokes, why on earth would we extend JC after 8 games? A player who has done nothing in 4 years needs to be locked up for 6 more after 8 games? What exactly should we be worried about? Someone dumber than us giving him a long term contract, and then waiting who knows how long for him to get accustom to new players, and a new system? As if JC couldn't be replaced in a heart beat even if he did have a good year, Todd Collins out performed JC and he's a nobody, I think we could live if big time JC some how slips through our finger tips and signs else where.

If you want to make sure that JC stays with the Skins just destroy his pass port so he can't go to Canada, because that would be about the only league that would give him a contract after this season.

Ok, lets say Jason Campbell is lighting it up by the middle of the season. Lets say he has 12 Td's, 3 int's, and we are sitting at 6-2 or better. Do you want us to extend his contract so we can lock him up, or do you want to wait the whole season and take a risk at him signing with another team?

I think if he is playing that well, that we should extend him and make him our Franchise quarterback.

I'd base it more on his individual stats than the team's record. If he's taking more shots downfield and seems to have a better control of the offense - basically, if the offense is moving due to Jason and not due to Clinton - then I'd be in favor of a mid-season extension.

If we're just getting by on Clinton's runs and JC's checkdowns, but still get off to a 7-0 or 8-0 start, then I'd still have reservations about extending him mid-season.

I would at least begin negotiations at some point in the second half of the season. The team needs to have a feel for what its going to take to resign him and if he has a moster year is his value of himself in line with the value the team has of him or not.

Lets face it, the FO has shown little confidence in him and this FO is very arrogant. Even if he has a monster year the FO may still want to "up grade" at the position and not realize or admit to his value just as many on here will do no matter how well he plays.

I would at least begin negotiations at some point in the second half of the season. The team needs to have a feel for what its going to take to resign him and if he has a moster year is his value of himself in line with the value the team has of him or not.

Lets face it, the FO has shown little confidence in him and this FO is very arrogant. Even if he has a monster year the FO may still want to "up grade" at the position and not realize or admit to his value just as many on here will do no matter how well he plays.

Or how bad!

Threads like these are really hypothetical jokes' date=' why on earth would we extend JC after 8 games? A player who has done nothing in 4 years needs to be locked up for 6 more after 8 games? What exactly should we be worried about? Someone dumber than us giving him a long term contract, and then waiting who knows how long for him to get accustom to new players, and a new system? As if JC couldn't be replaced in a heart beat even if he did have a good year, Todd Collins out performed JC and he's a nobody, I think we could live if big time JC some how slips through our finger tips and signs else where.

If you want to make sure that JC stays with the Skins just destroy his pass port so he can't go to Canada, because that would be about the only league that would give him a contract after this season.[/quote']

Wow, why are you so bitter against JC? It seems that even if he's successful you would rather see him gone. I think anyone who is a Skins fan would hope for the success of any QB who lead the Skins. So what's with the personal vendetta? He didn't sign an autograph for you?

I don't see anything wrong with a mid-season extension. 1) Its one less thing to worry about in the offseason and 2) maybe the players will play better knowing that they don't have to worry about their contract all season and where they will be playing next year.

I hope we can re-sign Carlos soon because he is a very solid CB and I'm sure we could be able to get him cheaper now than waiting until after the season. We should wait to see what JC does before we worry about re-signing him.

Archived