Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are You For/Against a Mid-Season Extension?

NoVaSkins21

Everybody involved would seem to be against a mid-season extension, I would think...Campbell would rather test the free agency market if only to drive up his price for remaining on the Skins (and he would be an absolute fool to tell himself "I may start sucking for the remainder of the season, so I better take the extension!" lol)...Snyder and Cerrato would rather see if JC can play consistently for an entire season, and Snyder has ZERO problem dishing out the money...

Ok, lets say Jason Campbell is lighting it up by the middle of the season. Lets say he has 12 Td's, 3 int's, and we are sitting at 6-2 or better. Do you want us to extend his contract so we can lock him up, or do you want to wait the whole season and take a risk at him signing with another team?

I think if he is playing that well, that we should extend him and make him our Franchise quarterback.

I vote for end-of-the-season. He was playing great when we were 6-2 last year but the wheels came off. We need to see a full season of great play from him IMO.

Wow, why are you so bitter against JC? It seems that even if he's successful you would rather see him gone. I think anyone who is a Skins fan would hope for the success of any QB who lead the Skins. So what's with the personal vendetta? He didn't sign an autograph for you?

I do hope for success, that's why I want him gone.

What's with all the love for a QB who's done absolutly nothing in 4 years? You sleeping with him?

Threads like these are really hypothetical jokes' date=' why on earth would we extend JC after 8 games? A player who has done nothing in 4 years needs to be locked up for 6 more after 8 games? What exactly should we be worried about? Someone dumber than us giving him a long term contract, and then waiting who knows how long for him to get accustom to new players, and a new system? As if JC couldn't be replaced in a heart beat even if he did have a good year, Todd Collins out performed JC and he's a nobody, I think we could live if big time JC some how slips through our finger tips and signs else where.

If you want to make sure that JC stays with the Skins just destroy his pass port so he can't go to Canada, because that would be about the only league that would give him a contract after this season.[/quote']

amen! my brother

I think a lot of people on this site are just too thick to get it.

-Campbell drummed up NO interested in the open market this last offseason.

-Lets say he does well the first 8 games - that still doesn't mean anything. Plus the first half of our schedule is the easy part. i want to see him perform though the tough part.

Why the rush to extend him early... to save a few million? its not your money. You really think that even if campbell does well teams are going to be fighting to break the bank on this guy after one good year?

4 bad years and 1 good year does not make him an elite QB... if anything the one good year can be considered an anomaly.

I hope he lights it up and leaves us with no doubts about resigning him.. but thats highly doubtful.

Why extend him now? It makes no sense.

He has done nothing to earn an extension. The team tried to get rid of him all off-season. Nothing has changed. He still hasn't earned an extension or loyalty.

There is no upside to extending him.

Apparently some of you think that by signing him early we get a bargain. No you don't. We could probably extend JC right now for the league minimum given the prospects he has elsewhere. But if he blows up, that contract will be worthless. It will be renegotiated.

Teams do not get deals on players. If the player is worth more than his contract, then through various pressure points, the teams is forced to renegotiate and pay more. Y

So there are a couple of options:

1. Don't sign, let him walk.

2. Sign cheap, when he sucks, you are stuck with a cheap sucky player.

3. Sign cheap, when he becomes all world, you are forced to renegotiate and pay him what he is wroth.

4. Sign a franchise QB contract, when he sucks, you are stuck with an expensive sucky player.

5. Sign a franchise QB contract, when he becomes all world, he is paid what he is worth.

Those are the only options. Nowhere is the option to sign cheap and then have a franchise caliber player for cheap. It doesn't happen.

That being the case, there is no upside to signing early. You won't get a bargain. There is a downside to signing early if he sucks it up: you can get stuck with an expensive or cheap sucky player.

Archived