Michael Bradley

Charlie Davies

Clint Dempsey

Landon Donovan

Own goal

Andrea Dossena (for Brazil)

Haha, poor Dossena!

BEST HEADLINE EVER!!!!----

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/06/confederations-cup-23-americans-advance-one-goes-home.html

"Confederations Cup: 23 Americans advance, one goes home"

When Sunday began it had been assumed that the 23 members of the U.S. national team would be the ones heading home from the Confederations Cup disappointed. After the United States rousing 3-0 win vs. Egypt, and Brazil's 3-0 win over Italy, the results meant that only one American player would be heading home to the United States.

That player is Giuseppe Rossi.

Ever since he left New Jersey a decade ago, Rossi has made it a tradition to return to the United States for part of his off-season vacation. That vacation will begin on Monday.

Okay, so perhaps gloating in Italy's failure may seem like a bit much, but considering the anguish Rossi's two goals against the United States put U.S. fans through, you can't really blame American fans for gloating a bit. So when they celebrate the fact that it was Rossi who was stripped on the play that led to Brazil's vital third goal, and revel in Italy's elimination, you can't really blame them, can you?

sort of related to rossi getting knocked off the ball...

but how fast is kaka on the pitch...jesus

No doubt, and he probably isnt one of the fastest 5 on Brazil.

I really hope the US beats Spain, but I dont expect it. But the soccer fan in me REALLY wants to see Brazil v Spain.

Are all the Rossi haters just as pissed that Jones is coming to play for the US?

Different situation.

Jones was born on a US base in Germany, his dad was a soldier stationed there. So he was born on US soil. Just like Rossi. Both are Americans. I would, however, have no problem with him choosing to stay with Germany because he was ALSO a German citizen at birth.

Rossi was NOT an Italian citizen at birth.

Id also like to say a hearty **** YOU to the refs from all over the world that CONTINUE to screw the US. It happens too often to not be purposeful.

Luckily, we were good enough to overcome it yesterday. Eerily, 7 years ago to the DAY, the exact same thing happened, and the ref swallowed his whistle in that game as well. Germany 1- US 0.

Id also like to say a hearty **** YOU to the refs from all over the world that CONTINUE to screw the US. It happens too often to not be purposeful.

Luckily, we were good enough to overcome it yesterday. Eerily, 7 years ago to the DAY, the exact same thing happened, and the ref swallowed his whistle in that game as well. Germany 1- US 0.

i doubt that the getting screwed over by the refs is the main reason why US soccer isnt where we all want it to be...

every country feels like they are getting screwed by the refs... when it gets to international soccer, its just such a high stakes game that if you come out at the end as a loser.. everyone is trying to come up with an excuse...

anyways the US soccer was suppose to get to the next level when Donovan and Beasley hit the scene almost 7 years back... who are the next generations of US soccer players that we can cheers for?

Different situation.

Jones was born on a US base in Germany, his dad was a soldier stationed there. So he was born on US soil. Just like Rossi. Both are Americans. I would, however, have no problem with him choosing to stay with Germany because he was ALSO a German citizen at birth.

I guess Freddy Adu should play for the Ghana team.

I guess Freddy Adu should play for the Ghana team.

Might as well, Bob isnt playing him for the US.

sj, Ive now watched the US have balls batted away on the goal line by opponents hands TWICE in games that mattered internationally. In this same tournament, Brazil was given the call in the same situation, we were not.

Add to that the takedowns our players endure without calls and the ticky tack fouls we get carded for (again going back numerous international tournaments) and it's not hard to see what's happening.

Also, Adu became a US citizen at 8. He then went through US schools and US Soccer funded camps, just like Rossi. Unlike Rossi, he didnt become Benadict Arnold. And unlike Rossi, his team is still playing today.

**** Rossi. I hope someone finds out where he's vacationing and taunts him.

hmmmmmm

Might as well, Bob isnt playing him for the US.

sj, Ive now watched the US have balls batted away on the goal line by opponents hands TWICE in games that mattered internationally. In this same tournament, Brazil was given the call in the same situation, we were not.

Add to that the takedowns our players endure without calls and the ticky tack fouls we get carded for (again going back numerous international tournaments) and it's not hard to see what's happening.

well i am not saying those were not bad officiating..

although I do not follow the club games much but I do watch as much of international games I can regardless of if the US or South Korea (nations I cheer for) plays in the match or not...

I can assure you there are ALOT of games where the refs botched the call or there were definitely a close call that could be argued changed the game. The bad calls happen to every country out there... its not really country specific...

one more thing to add... I am really praying for US to some how beat Spain then to beat Brazil for the Cup... US soccers needs some more boost so people can enjoy better soccer coverage here in the states.. its much better than 8 years ago but it could definitely improve.

Different situation.

He probably was. If one of his parents wasn't naturalized after moving to the US, then he would have inherited Italian citizenship jure sanguinis.

FIFA rules allow you to play for the birth country of your parents and grandparents (maybe even great grandparents). Which is why many Brazilians play for Portugal. Camoranesi, born in Argentina, plays for Italy.

lol i wiki'd him to see which parent was argentine and came across this funny quote

He also chooses not to sing Italy's national anthem before their matches because he doesn't know the words, although he can be seen singing (at least a part of) the anthem during the World Cup celebrations in Circus Maximus on 10 July 2006. Camoranesi was not the first Juventus player born in Argentina to play for Italy, Omar Sivori before him did also.

lmao

There was a French guy that played for the US some years ago. Can't remember his name now. This kind of thing happens a lot as far as I can tell. As long as you become a citizen of a country and haven't played any international games for any other nation, you can pretty much play anywhere that accepts you.

Archived