Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Former Cleveland Browns QB Kosar files for bankruptcy

tr1

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2009/06/19/kosar0619.html?sid=101

Friday, June 19, 2009 6:38 PM

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Former Cleveland Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar has filed for bankruptcy protection in Miami, Fla.

Kosar's Chapter 11 filing Friday lists assets between $1 million and $10 million and liabilities of between $10 million and $50 million.

Kosar owes almost $1.5 million to the Cleveland Browns, the team he quarterbacked from 1985 to 1993. Kosar owes his ex-wife Babette $3 million and $725,000 to the owner of the Cleveland Gladiators team in the Arena Football League. Kosar had served as president of that team.

He also owes a bank more than $9 million for bad real estate deals.

The 45-year-old Kosar got divorced in 2007 and last year saw his steakhouse go out of business.

A youngstown native, Kosar was a star player at suburban Boardman High School and then at the University of Miami. The Browns drafted Kosar in 1985 and soon made him the cornerstone of the team. He led the Browns to the AFC championship threee time in four years.

Kosar also played for the Dallas Cowboys and the Miami Dolphins before retiring from the NFL in 1996.

damn..what a shame.

My sentiments exactly.

Outside of the B&G, he was the one man I always wanted to see get a ring back in the '80's when the Browns always came up short in those Championship games. The two Bronco one's were absolute killer's. First Elway and the "drive", and then the year after when he led them back from being dead and buried at h/t with 4 TD's I think it was, only for Earnest Byner to fumble away the win down by the Broncos goal line in the dying seconds.

Loved his unconventional style and 100% effort, and he always seamed a genuinely nice guy whenever I heard him speak.

I sincerely hope he has an upturn in fortunes.

That read was a darn shame.

Hail.

damn..what a shame.

Agreed.

Not that you can really stereotype these things, but I wouldn't expect that from him. He just didn't seem to have the flashy type of personality that I would typically associate with poor financial management. Perhaps I'm ignorant about what it takes to lose tons of money...

I wish him well.

Kosar, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, is one of my favorite NFL QB's ever.

You got the feeling watching him play that he worked his ass off to get where he was. Very little to no natural ability

I always rooted for the Browns against the Broncos back then. I just did not ever like Elway. Everybody always talked him up like he was the greatest thing. Kosar and Byner are the two standout players from the Browns back then that come to mind right away. Loved his sidearm ball-slingin style. Fun to watch.

I feel bad for the guy, but hey, at some point, homie was a millionaire and played in the NFL as a starting QB. I can't feel too bad for him.

I always rooted for the Browns against the Broncos back then. I just did not ever like Elway. Everybody always talked him up like he was the greatest thing. Kosar and Byner are the two standout players from the Browns back then that come to mind right away. Loved his sidearm ball-slingin style. Fun to watch.

I feel bad for the guy, but hey, at some point, homie was a millionaire and played in the NFL as a starting QB. I can't feel too bad for him.

And...he EARNED a ring. He came in and did a great job in the NFC Championship game.

I went to a golf tournament in Cleveland with a bunch of NFL quarterbacks and stuff back about 15-20 years ago, and Kosar was the host of the thing. His wife seemed like the bubble headed barbie doll type. He seemed like a nice guy to me. The only real jerk QB I met on that day was Bubbly Brister. He was too hung over to play golf.

Archived