Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC : Pilot dies on Continental flight to Newark

Mickalino

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6871701

Pilot dies on commercial flight to Newark Thursday, | June 18, 2009 | 11:35 AM

NEWARK (WABC) -- The captain on a Continental Airlines flight died as the plane headed from Belgium to Newark Airport.

Authorities say the death occurred as Flight 61 traveled from Brussels to Newark Thursday morning. The pilot reportedly died in his seat.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090618/ap_on_re_us/us_pilot_dies

Continental pilot dies on trans-Atlantic flight

NEWARK, N.J. – A Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman has confirmed that a Continental Airlines pilot has died in mid-flight.

Spokeswoman Arlene Salac says the airline alerted the FAA around 10:30 Thursday morning that Flight 61 from Brussels to Newark was being flown by two co-pilots.

Salac says the plane, a Boeing 777, will receive priority handling when it lands around noon.

I know it's terrible, but the scene from Airplane when the stewardess asks, "By the way, does anybody on board know how to fly a plane?" and everyone goes nuts comes to mind.

On a serious note, prayers to the family of the pilot and to those on board for a safe landing.

What a scary story. This does nothing to help with my fear of flying......

If this wasn't an international flight, I think the passengers would be in a little more trouble. I'm under the assumption that most international flights, have 2 co-pilots, where domestic usually have only 1.

other scene from airplane:

"Just a bit of light turbulence, everything is under control now. Please remain calm."

[as stewardesses drag bodies of pilots down the aisle]

On a serious note, God Bless him and his family.

other scene from airplane:

"Just a bit of light turbulence, everything is under control now. Please remain calm."

[as stewardesses drag bodies of pilots down the aisle]

On a serious note, God Bless him and his family.

agreed..

BUT YOU TELL YOUR DAD TO TRY AND DRAG WALTON UP AND DOWN THE COURT FOR 48 MINUTES A GAME!!

"No, the white phone".

On a serious note, that has got to be a scary situation for the guys in the ****pit. I would totally be freaking out if I was one of those co-pilots. Bless the pilot and his family in this awful situation.

The plane has landed safely, which is very good.....

That is good news. I wonder what the protocol is for something like this. I wouldn't think that the passengers would be alerted to what happened because it might start a panic. But who knows.

I find it strange that they are already saying he died of natural causes, before the plane even lands - before a medical examiner can see his body - and before an autopsy is performed.

Just what do you expect them to say?:silly:

He OD ?

How about the co-pilots knifed him?

Died of a accidental discharge of a firearm?

Remembering a long time ago, National Lampoon used to (still may, AFAIK) have a fake newspaper inside their magazine. Remembering the following "news" story:

Ugandan President Idi Amin announced today that 4,000 Ugandan dissidents had died in a four month long bus crash.

When asked about reports from anonymous witnesses who claim that the bodies were riddled with bullets, the President observed that is was dangerous to be cleaning loaded automatic weapons in a moving vehicle.

International watchdog organization, Amnesty International, has announced their intention to investigate. President Amin has been quoted as saying "The **** they will."

Just what do you expect them to say?:silly:

He OD ?

How about the co-pilots knifed him?

I think it's safe to say there are a lot of health conditions or internal bodily issues, as opposed to external, that could cause a person to die, other than natural causes, that would not be obvious or evident to your average non-medical Joe.

I think it's safe to say there are a lot of health conditions or internal bodily issues, as opposed to external, that could cause a person to die, other than natural causes, that would not be obvious or evident to your average non-medical Joe.

Not sure, but I think they classify health issues as natual causes before they get into specifics....

I think in this case they just mean, no external forces caused his death...

:secret:"health conditions or internal bodily issues" are natural causes.

Archived