Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Professional Sports Coach/Manager

MattFancy

Should teams be punished for fans rioting?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should teams be punished for fans rioting?

• Yes
    • No

Maybe Red Auerbach? He definately belongs in the mix. For a decade, especially if you include the scab games Gibbs was way up there. He may not have been the best of all time, but he was in the top category. More, so far no other coach has been able to be as successful as him with the Redskins.

Maybe Red Auerbach? He definately belongs in the mix. For a decade, especially if you include the scab games Gibbs was way up there. He may not have been the best of all time, but he was in the top category. More, so far no other coach has been able to be as successful as him with the Redskins.

I think Gibbs has probably done more with less than any other coach in history. Winning a SB with 3 different QBs and not having many HoFers (even though more should be in!). Is Gibbs the best NFL coach ever? I don't think he's the best, but like you said, he is definitely worth mentioning and is top 5 in my book.

I can't give it to Phil Jackson. He's had the luxury of coaching two of the greatest players in history.

Maybe if he took over Phoenix and got them a ring, I'd consider him.

every coach wins with great players

i hate when people use that to somehow detract from what Phil did

make a note, Jordan/Pippen/Shaq/Kobe had a combined 0 titles before they met Phil Jackson

I can't give it to Phil Jackson. He's had the luxury of coaching two of the greatest players in history.

Maybe if he took over Phoenix and got them a ring, I'd consider him.

Auerbach has Bill Rusell and coached 9 HoFers. The only HoFer/future HoFers Phil has coached are Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe. And Shaq is the only one to win a title without him.

Scotty Bowman. I'm probably hockey biased though but Phil had such overwhelming talent before this last one.

yes every great team has great talent but Bowman simple was a cut above all the other coaches in the NHL.

I dont think numbers, aka a 10th title, automatically puts Phil at the top.

who knows who the best actually is. a lot of very good arguments could be made for any of those guys.

but HOLY **** - i knew jackson was a tremendously/alltime successful coach - but i nearly spit my drink out when they put up his stats last night:

18 seasons, 10 championships, .705 win percentage.

you have absolutely got to be kidding me. i know he has been pretty lucky to have some alltimers on his teams, but winning 70% of the time for 18 seasons? that is absolutely silly...ridiculous...unfair. just stunning. and that is not even to touch upon the fact that the guy wins, on average, a title every other year. i dont care who is on your team - that is ridiculous.

who knows who the best actually is. a lot of very good arguments could be made for any of those guys.

but HOLY **** - i knew jackson was a tremendously/alltime successful coach - but i nearly spit my drink out when they put up his stats last night:

18 seasons, 10 championships, .705 win percentage.

you have absolutely got to be kidding me. i know he has been pretty lucky to have some alltimers on his teams, but winning 70% of the time for 18 seasons? that is absolutely silly...ridiculous...unfair. just stunning. and that is not even to touch upon the fact that the guy wins, on average, a title every other year. i dont care who is on your team - that is ridiculous.

He's also been to the playoffs every year as a coach. 18 for 18

He's also been to the playoffs every year as a coach. 18 for 18

another good point. and while making the NBA playoffs every year is not the same landmark achievement it would be in the NFL, it is pretty unreal to think that Jackson has never had a team that has just simply had a "down" year due to injury/players leaving, etc.

he might never pass Red in the eyes of many. no way to compare. but i do believe that getting another ring last night ended the Riley vs. Jackson argument for good if it wasnt over already.

I gotta say, of all the coaches you left out of that list you leave out the one the Super Bowl trophy's named after? I was going to go with Walsh, Bowman or Red off the list you have but it's gotta be Lombardi.

Damn it! :chair: Don't know how I managed that one

another good point. and while making the NBA playoffs every year is not the same landmark achievement it would be in the NFL, it is pretty unreal to think that Jackson has never had a team that has just simply had a "down" year due to injury/players leaving, etc.

he might never pass Red in the eyes of many. no way to compare. but i do believe that getting another ring last night ended the Riley vs. Jackson argument for good if it wasnt over already.

He also always had arguably the greatest player on his team at all times. I know all great times have great players. But in a sport like basketball that a single player can dominant unlike team focused sports such as football or NHL where you cannot have a weak link. I think it does diminish the stats a little.

I can't vote on this poll b/c I can't vote against Gibbs (and it wouldn't truly be right to vote for him)

Why? The man coached scrubs to championships. The Skins during Gibbs I were good teams, under any other coach the team probably doesn't make the playoffs. Under Gibbs though, they are superbowl cahmps and contenders EVERY YEAR. Threee different QB's, 3 different RB's, Different Olines, different defenses, three championships.

Why? The man coached scrubs to championships. The Skins during Gibbs I were good teams, under any other coach the team probably doesn't make the playoffs. Under Gibbs though, they are superbowl cahmps and contenders EVERY YEAR. Threee different QB's, 3 different RB's, Different Olines, different defenses, three championships.

I'll give you the first 2 rings, but that 1991 squad had talent that could rival the top Pats teams. The only reason they didn't win more is because they were old.

I just think that he was one of... but not the best. And I have to include what he did in his second go around which was above average, but not equal to his first round.

For the same reason, I would never include Belichick in this conversation. His first stint was so lousy that he can't be the best. Additionally, with Bellichick he has clouds of cheating and other issues that will diminish has achievements with the Pats in my eyes.

Archived