Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Best TV Character Of All Time (Group 7) CLOSED

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ain't that the truth :applause:

I know The Jeffersons love him. And that too was a very important show. Race relations, inter-racial couple, foreign guy with no concept of racism in America, a black man trying to make it as a businessman.

It was a great show and as funny as it was I could see the lessons as well.

The interesting thing about the Jeffersons was after a while George stopped using the term Honky. Mainly becuase Sherman Hemsley hated the term and everytime the writers wrote for him he would intentionally mispronounce it.

that was the first time i ever heard the term. i still dont get how honky fits with white people..lol

and zebra..i never knew that it was "wrong" for white and black people to be together. i just hadnt ever seen it in my young age.

The interesting thing about the Jeffersons was after a while George stopped using the term Honky. Mainly becuase Sherman Hemsley hated the term and everytime the writers wrote for him he would intentionally mispronounce it.

What's the correct pronunciation ?

I wonder if I've been mis-pronouncing it all this time, without knowing it :paranoid:

that was the first time i ever heard the term. i still dont get how honky fits with white people..lol

and zebra..i never knew that it was "wrong" for white and black people to be together. i just hadnt ever seen it in my young age.

According to the ever-knowledgeable Dietrich from Barney Miller, it had something to do with the nasaly tones in which blacks felt white people spoke...like a "goose honking" or something like that...thus, the term lol... :thumbsup:

archie bunker might be one of the most important characters ever on television

I can agree.

I think a case can be made that Archie Bunker did more positive for race relations than MLK did.

Archie Bunker made racism embarrassing.

According to the ever-knowledgeable Dietrich from Barney Miller, it had something to do with the nasaly tones in which blacks felt white people spoke...like a "goose honking" or something like that...thus, the term lol... :thumbsup:

That's funny, because whenever I hear a black comedian try to impersonate a white person, it's always that high-pitched nasal, nerdy sound. That stereotype is so innaccurate, it only represent's about .00000000001 percent of the white population. I can hardly remember meeting a white person who talks like that. Not even most nerds.

That's funny, because whenever I hear a black comedian try to impersonate a white person, it's always that high-pitched nasal, nerdy sound. That stereotype is so innaccurate, it only represent's about .00000000001 percent of the white population. I can hardly remember meeting a white person who talks like that. Not even most nerds.

besides, the most famous nerd with that high nasally voice wasn't even white:

urkel.jpg

I love that the man playing Archi Bunker was a liberal. He tried to make it embarassing to hold those views, and he was darn good at it.

I was more impressed with the fact that Jean Stapleton had been a professional singer on Broadway.

Well, blacks got the base in our voices, so it's all relative lol :cool:...

I love that the man playing Archi Bunker was a liberal. He tried to make it embarassing to hold those views, and he was darn good at it.

I also love the fact that when he was on "In The Heat of the Night" his character dated an African-American.

Archived