Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 5 Redskins That Shouldn't Be Speaking to the Media

Dead Money

I guess whoever posted above about the softball questions is right, I don't really wanna here about what Mike Williams had for dinner, I wanna know why he's out of football on his couch a few months ago and what we should expect to be different this time and why. Not some sly grin from a man who made millions to be nothing.

That's just a bit harsh. If MW was just a lazy slacker, would he be working himself so hard to get back into the league? He owns an oilfield services business in Texas, so he's not desperate for cash. It's been reported that the herniated disk he suffered in Buffalo was the reason he didn't pan out there more so than that he ate himself out of the league as some have assumed.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/draft/stories/042309dnspowilliams.3738cd0.html

"I have a new love for the game," Williams said, pausing to make sure he would be heard. "I know I have a lot more than people think or what they saw."

That's just one article I happened to come across, there are tons more about him and his reasons for coming back as well as why he washed out the first time.

Listening to Portis talk is painful at times. Sometimes it's annoying trying to figure out what the Hell he's trying to say.

"My pockets are straight"

What? Speak proper English, man. This doesn't just apply to Portis, but to everybody. It's just a peeve of mine.

This is because you, like I, are educated. Which of course is our own fault, we should have never tried to better ourselves in a society that praises those for speaking in broken English while condemning those who study it and learn how to use it correctly.

I love the plantation mentality fans have. 'Just shut your mouth and do your job.' These are grown ass men who can say what they want, when they want. If you don't want to hear it, exercise your choice to change the station.

I love the plantation mentality fans have. 'Just shut your mouth and do your job.' These are grown ass men who can say what they want, when they want. If you don't want to hear it, exercise your choice to change the station.

Plantation mentality? Please bro. I take it you're a big T.O. fan. :rolleyes:

Plantation mentality? Please bro. I take it you're a big T.O. fan. :rolleyes:

Not at all, but it annoys me to hear fans try to dictate what grown men should or shouldn't be able to do because they wear the jersey of their favorite team. 'Just shut up and play' is a plantation mentality.

Nobody is talking about plantations or about being a master, perhaps you should get over yourself and learn to make an argument w/o pulling the race card.

Raciest

Nobody is talking about plantations or about being a master, perhaps you should get over yourself and learn to make an argument w/o pulling the race card.

Raciest

What is a raciest?

And don't call someone a racist out of opinion. Come on.

Not at all, but it annoys me to hear fans try to dictate what grown men should or shouldn't be able to do because they wear the jersey of their favorite team. 'Just shut up and play' is a plantation mentality.

It's a free country indeed and players can say whatever they want. However, sometimes it creates a distraction and/or is detrimental to the team. When it becomes a problem the best thing to do is avoid said problem if possible. Hence "shut up and play".

It has to do with character and putting yourself and your opinions/feelings above the overall good of the team. Owens is the perfect example of this... i.e. someone who would be better off if they would just "shut up and play".

How it has anything to do with the way plantations were run is beyond me so we’ll have to agree to disagree. If I spoke out about my boss, coworkers, or employer the way some professional athletes do I'd be out of a job in a heartbeat.

That said “shut up and play” is a pretty blunt way to put things and not the most polite tone to take.

What is a raciest?

And don't call someone a racist out of opinion. Come on.

When someone says that it is plantation, to think that certain players/people should be kept away from the cameras/media, that is racist. It's not an opinion it's pretty much a fact.

Raciest

Hilarity at it's finest. If you're going to attempt to insult me by calling me a racist, at least spell it correctly, lol.

It's not 'pulling the race card' because Colts fans were saying 'just shut up and play' to Manning a couple of weeks ago for complaining about the coaching changes. It's a mentality of players are just there to entertain and work for 'us' as fans because 'we pay your salaries' and therefore we own you and can dictate your actions to suit our will. It's got nothing to do with race and everything to do with the fan mentality.

My point simply is, these guys are grown men doing their jobs in the full public eye. They have the right to say what they want, when they want, to whom they want just like it's my right to listen or not to listen however I see fit. If you don't like it, don't listen.

It's a free country indeed and players can say whatever they want. However, sometimes it creates a distraction and/or is detrimental to the team. When it becomes a problem the best thing to do is avoid said problem if possible. Hence "shut up and play".

It has to do with character and putting yourself and your opinions/feelings above the overall good of the team. Owens is the perfect example of this... i.e. someone who would be better off if they would just "shut up and play".

How it has anything to do with the way plantations were run is beyond me so we’ll have to agree to disagree. If I spoke out about my boss, coworkers, or employer the way some professional athletes do I'd be out of a job in a heartbeat.

That said “shut up and play” is a pretty blunt way to put things and not the most polite tone to take.

We'll agree to disagree on some points. I actually agree with you that some players put their agendas and self motivations over those of the team and that can be a distraction when aired publicly. I am of the belief however that it's up to the team to handle it by either discipline or in extreme cases, ridding themselves of the player, not the fans dictating who and who shouldn't speak.

To the bolded part, there's no comparison to the "If I" argument when it comes to professional sports. These guys are in the top .5% of what they do in the world and therefore have far more value to their employers than any of us. As a result, they have much more leniency in their actions than we do. It's comparing grapes to grapefruits.

My five, although not all players, are well deserved:

1. Portis - He should not be allowed on any media outlet. He is just a mess with microphones if front of him.

2. Zorn - I really like him, but he says too much information and gets so excited that he forgets he's in front of cameras.

3. Vinny - Don't say anything, ever.

4. Devin Thomas - Just get out there and play. He doesn't have the time for distractions. He's been in a year more than Kelly with basically nothing to show for it except for offensive pass interference.

5. Larry Michael - Enough of the embarrassing, blatant propaganda. Please!

We'll agree to disagree on some points. I actually agree with you that some players put their agendas and self motivations over those of the team and that can be a distraction when aired publicly. I am of the belief however that it's up to the team to handle it by either discipline or in extreme cases, ridding themselves of the player, not the fans dictating who and who shouldn't speak.

To the bolded part, there's no comparison to the "If I" argument when it comes to professional sports. These guys are in the top .5% of what they do in the world and therefore have far more value to their employers than any of us. As a result, they have much more leniency in their actions than we do. It's comparing grapes to grapefruits.

My point is that more often than not it's about being a professional. It's up to the team handle problems in house but fans are going to have an opinion regardless. Then these fans will discuss their opinions. That's what this place is all about! ;)

Yep Portis comes to mind as the #1 guy who needs to shy away from the media. From calling out his line, to calling his coach a genius, to fighting with Brian Mitchell, etc....the guy just seems to cause bad distractions.

called out line and they played better....check

going 6-2 first half and 2-6 second half, genius coach....check

Brian Mitchell no longer works for WJFK possibly cause he was an ass anyway...check

:cool:

1. jim zorn (talks too much... smart guy but doesnt come off that way)

2. jason campbell (you know?)

3. clinton portis

4. devin thomas (this guy isn't good enough to talk to the media until he proves himself)

5. fred davis (same as #4)

What is this?! Communist North Korea?!?! It's a LONG off-season and the media needs something to work with. If you don't like it, turn the page or change the channel.

I guess the media needs to find out INSIDE info from some people besides this message board.

For all the players: When the Redskin players want to call each other out, whether it's CP, Campbell or any of the team kleaders, it should be in-house/in the locker room/in the family. You don't need a media guy to tell a receiver he ran the wrong route or dropped the ball. The same thing between players and coaches and coaches and player. Keep your mouth shut and keep it in the family.

For everything else, I don't care who talks to the media.

Archived