Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Haynesworth is well worth the money

DGREENHULK

All this talk about QBs, RB's and WR's has got me thinking....

"Defense wins rings in the NFL" we have all heard this statement. I think the majority of us can all agree that Haynesworth should take our D to the next level in 2009.

2008 records

Tennessee Titans 13-3 in 2008

Washington Redskins 8-8 in 2008

Kerry Collins 2676 Yards 12TD's and 7 INTS in 16 games

Jason Campbell 3245 Yards 13TD's and 6 INTS in 16 games

Tennesse Ranked 2nd in overall D, 2nd in Forced Fumbles and 5th in Sacks

Washington Ranked 6th overall, 26th in Forced Fumbles and 28th in Sacks

You see the Skins actually had better QB play than the Titans but a worse record. If Haynesworth can do what he did for the Titans by being a disruptive force in the middle and in turn help others create turnovers our offense and overall record will improve.....I know this is the off season and we Skins fans are beat down every day by the media and the haters. But I'm telling you our Defense will be something to behold this year. Big Al/Fletch/Hall/Landry/Horton/Rak and Rocky Mac. Glory days will be here again boys....

I keep telling a friend, a Titans fan bless his heart, how much Haynesworth is going to help this team, and he continuously says, "yeah, until he gets hurt about the 8th week."

I think he's just bitter about losing him. I think Al's going be even better than he was in Tennessee.

Not to take anything away from Haynesworth, but Tennesse has a very dominant D outside of him, very... There line backing core and secondary are both elite... Also don't forget that when comparing the qb play, you must recognize we run to very different systems... They have a dominant D and running game, which allows them to use Collins minimally, but don't forget what happened to them in the playoffs.

I've always thought the Titans were the Redskins of the AFC. JC and KC put up very similar numbers, and both offenses are ran pretty much the same. Both have great defenses as well. I think Tennessee's the beneficiary of a soft schedule and if we swapped with them, Skins would be in the hunt every year. Bottom line is that the Skins are always one or two plays away from a win, and Haynesworth is significantly going to help that out.

I've always thought the Titans were the Redskins of the AFC. JC and KC put up very similar numbers, and both offenses are ran pretty much the same.

-Nothing very similar about our two offenses then a strong running game. We run a WCO with multiple receiver sets, hoping to use short passes as extended running plays, they are strictly run first and why wouldn't you be with the power and speed they have in their two backs.

Both have great defenses as well.

-Our defense is a great D but still not comparable with TEN/PIT/BAL

I think Tennessee's the beneficiary of a soft schedule and if we swapped with them, Skins would be in the hunt every year.

-Playing the Colts twice a year? The jags who up until last year were a serious contender, and the up and coming Texans who have one of the top receivers in the game? It may be no NFCe but the AFCs sure isn't a soft division by any means.

Bottom line is that the Skins are always one or two plays away from a win, and Haynesworth is significantly going to help that out.

-I think we may be more than one or two plays away to becoming an elite team, while we did have an average record, our wins were never dominating and our losses to low-level teams are quite humiliating. Lets hope some consistency can change that though.

I keep telling a friend, a Titans fan bless his heart, how much Haynesworth is going to help this team, and he continuously says, "yeah, until he gets hurt about the 8th week."

I think he's just bitter about losing him. I think Al's going be even better than he was in Tennessee.

Partially bitter, I'm sure. But he does have a point. This will be Haynesworth's 8th season in the league. His games played the previous 7 are 16, 12, 10, 14, 11, 13, and 14. I know there was a suspension in there, but he still didn't play. Anyway, that comes out to an average of 12.8, or about 13 games a season. So no, we can't count on him to be healthy the whole year. But hopefully when he is, he tears some **** up.

Going to Super Bowl like Green Bay did

quote=DGREENHULK;6461941]All this talk about QBs, RB's and WR's has got me thinking....

"Defense wins rings in the NFL" we have all heard this statement. I think the majority of us can all agree that Haynesworth should take our D to the next level in 2009.

2008 records

Tennessee Titans 13-3 in 2008

Washington Redskins 8-8 in 2008

Kerry Collins 2676 Yards 12TD's and 7 INTS in 16 games

Jason Campbell 3245 Yards 13TD's and 6 INTS in 16 games

Tennesse Ranked 2nd in overall D, 2nd in Forced Fumbles and 5th in Sacks

Washington Ranked 6th overall, 26th in Forced Fumbles and 28th in Sacks

You see the Skins actually had better QB play than the Titans but a worse record. If Haynesworth can do what he did for the Titans by being a disruptive force in the middle and in turn help others create turnovers our offense and overall record will improve.....I know this is the off season and we Skins fans are beat down every day by the media and the haters. But I'm telling you our Defense will be something to behold this year. Big Al/Fletch/Hall/Landry/Horton/Rak and Rocky Mac. Glory days will be here again boys....

I remember thinking this about countless free agents signed by this team...

I think we have gotten excited about 2nd tier free agents like Carter, Archuleta, Brandon Lloyd, Randle-El. Or superstars past their prime like Deion or Bruce. We always get a lot of free agents to overhaul our roster instead of a bonafide stud to augment our team and lift us to another level. We did that once before with Stubblefield, but he was on roids. Hey, who knew he would come here and get off roids.

Haynesworth is the best defensive player in the league and in his prime. Nuff said.

I think the Giants have had a very Redskins offseason. Getting second tier guys like Canty and Boley who they are expecting to revamp their defense. Expecting rookies to replace the production of Plax, Toomer and Derrick Ward. The media is crowning them the offseason champs, but their talent level has actually dropped.

Same with the Eagles offseason to a certain extent. I give them credit that they probably added more talent to their team, but Sean Jones is no Brian Dawkins and you cannot count on 3 rookies to lift your offense. Desean Jackson was an exception, not the norm. Even the Jason Peters thing is shaky. He was on the verge of being considered the best tackle in the league, but had a terrible couple of seasons. Was it a fluke or the beginning of a trend. Now he's being put in a system that operates completely differently. Can he handle the volume of passing plays the Eagles run while facing Uminyora, Tuck, Ware, Orakpo? Sounds like the description of Archuleta's career to me.

Barring injury, this defense has the potential to be as good as any in the league next year IMO. With Pro Bowl caliber players in Haynesworth, Fletcher, Rocky, DHall, and Landry, and DROY candidate in Orakpo, Horton improving in his second season, and the added depth via the draft at LB and in the secondary, I really think we're on the verge of something special- and I'm usually not optimistic about the 'Skins.

Hopefully, another year for Zorn and JC to mesh on the other side of the ball coupled with DT and Kelly's improvement will yield better results offensively.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we finished 12-4 or 6-10...but I think we're going to be a lot better than most people seem to think.

We don't know if Fat Al is "worth it" or not at this point, we all want him to be great but its not like any of us are paying his salary. Year after year the "experts" say we are in or going to CAP hell but yet resign everyone we want and more often than not make huge free agent splash. Unlike busts such as Lloyd or Taylor where we gave up future draft picks AH's signing is "relatively" (for us) low risk.

If he meets/exceeds his performance during the last two seasons he will, without a doubt, be well worth the money. When signing a guy to a contract with the magnitude that his bears, you expect him to play up to par to the level of play we've seen out of him in Tennessee in recent years. If he fails to meet these expectations we have ourselves a bust. I do agree with DGREENHULK when he says that something feels different with Haynesworth. We'll know whether Big Al is worth the dough or not midway through the season.

Does anyone think we did not upgrade at his position?? I doubt it. If you can ever upgrade, it's a good thing, right?

Haynesworth won't take the opposing Oline, pick them up with one arm, and throw them to the side. But he will knock some Olinemen into their qb. And he will pull double teams which will give PD or BO a clear lane.

Guys, he will make a bigger impact than some of you believe.

Not to take anything away from Haynesworth, but Tennesse has a very dominant D outside of him, very... There line backing core and secondary are both elite... Also don't forget that when comparing the qb play, you must recognize we run to very different systems... They have a dominant D and running game, which allows them to use Collins minimally, but don't forget what happened to them in the playoffs.

Uh, so our number 4 D WITHOUT Haynsworth is chopped liver?:doh:

Haynsworth is probably the best player in the NFL at his position, and his position was our biggest need on a number 4 defense.

Our second biggest need? LB and DE...

orakpo.jpg

We have the *potential* to have the best D in the NFL next year. If we are even close to that, we have a real shot at going deep into the playoffs. Maybe even REALLY deep. :evilg:

the thing is, i like that you brought out those stats.. but tennessee did a better job running the ball than we did. So they didnt need as good qb play because of their running backs. IMO their offensive line was better than ours.

I like the comparison to the Titans. I really do.

I just don't see how we are even close to their level yet, though. We are a poor-man's Titans. Our defense has the potential to be as good as theirs, but our offense is lacking.

We don't have a playmaker like Chris Johnson, or a depth-filled, mauling offensive line. LenDale White and Ahmad Hall are pretty great players, too. Their backfield/run blocking from their O-Line is pretty amazing.

Clinton Portis is all we have. It remains to be seen whether our line will block for him. We NEED to have one of our UDFAs step up at running back. Betts is DONE, and Cartwright never had it (although if he did, he'd be DONE also, he just turned 30).

I'm really surprised we didn't add a running back this offseason......... :(

Archived