Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disposal of the US flag

SUSkinsFan

Yeah some of the responses to his post in here are ridiculous. If the man doesn't know how to properly dispose of an American flag, then he doesn't know. It's not like he's denouncing America or anything. And if any of you getting so pissed about it own American flag beach towels, bandannas or boxers then you're disrespecting the flag just as much and need to STFU.

Nice post.But,I did try to post what I think is fact to me in some of posts.

Sorry if MH is anal about the FLAG.And I will be to the day I die.

Good job OP! Like I said good question OP!

Nice post.But,I did try to post what I think is fact to me in some of posts.

Sorry if MH is anal about the FLAG.And I will be to the day I die.

Good job OP! Like I said good question OP!

I wasn't directing that to you motorhead. Just some of the responses were more pure anger than trying to point the man in the right direction.

ok, I get that disposing of a flag is a touchy subject, but what is with this rule of getting ride of the blue field and burning it separately, THEN burying the ashes? sounds kinda cult like to me. And the stripes are just treated like regular garbage, what gives? The whole process sounds a bit unnecessary, wouldn't it be easier just to bury the entire flag on your property somewhere, maybe near the flag pole, or burn the whole thing?

and how come buring the flag in protest is a criminal act, but buring the blue field is considered resepctable?

This whole thing is confusing and contradcitory.

are you born canadian? or did you just move there?

because if you dont know the difference between burning in protest and burning to properly dispose of it i dont know what to tell you.

I think brianforester was just spouting off and didnt understand how serious some people take it.

The flag is what it is... a piece of fabric. Do not turn it into something holy, because it is not. It's ironic how the flag represents democracy; a sense of limitless freedom... however, one cannot dispose of an old dirty one? What's with the extreme nationalism? Are we that sensitive?

The flag is what it is... a piece of fabric. Do not turn it into something holy, because it is not. It's ironic how the flag represents democracy; a sense of limitless freedom... however, one cannot dispose of an old dirty one? What's with the extreme nationalism? Are we that sensitive?

YES we ARE

seriously?? have some respect.

and how come buring the flag in protest is a criminal act, but buring the blue field is considered resepctable?

I thought that law never passed. I could be wrong though. And the reason it was ever brought up? Because politicians are ****ing stupid and have their heads so far up their asses.

Oh dear god just throw it away, is this really something people concern themselves with on a regular basis? Disposal of a piece of fabric?

I agree somewhat. I would just fold it up properly and place it in a plastic bag and toss it away.

I mean you have a new one, which is form of new found respect for the disposal of the old one. That's how I see it.

Section 8d. reads, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel."

And the rest of the Code. The laws are not upheld much, but should be respected at all times.

The laws relating to the flag of the United States of America are found in detail in the United States Code. Title 4, Chapter 1 pertains to the flag; Title 18, Chapter 33, Section 700 regards criminal penalties for flag desecration; Title 36, Chapter 3 pertains to patriotic customs and observances. These laws were supplemented by Executive Orders and Presidential Proclamations.

I agree somewhat. I would just fold it up properly and place it in a plastic bag and toss it away.

I mean you have a new one, which is form of new found respect for the disposal of the old one. That's how I see it.

the thing is there is a proper way you are asked to dispose of it.

if you asked for something to be done a certain way and then the next guy decided "nah, i will just do it however i want" everything goes downhill from there.

I have plenty of respect. I just think that you're taking too seriously and being overly-sensitive.

No you don't have respect or you never would have posted what you did, I suggest looking up the word, if you don't understand. That piece of fabric represents the blood of the thousands of people who have fought to keep your sorry ass free, and deserves all respect we can give it, so yes I take it very seriously and people such as you will never get.

ok, I get that disposing of a flag is a touchy subject, but what is with this rule of getting ride of the blue field and burning it separately, THEN burying the ashes? sounds kinda cult like to me. And the stripes are just treated like regular garbage, what gives? The whole process sounds a bit unnecessary, wouldn't it be easier just to bury the entire flag on your property somewhere, maybe near the flag pole, or burn the whole thing?

first, it is not a criminal act to burn the flag in protest. secondly, i would be happy to explain the reason behind the process of burning.

The way I was taught in the boy scouts and at VMI is that by cutting the blue ensign away from the stripes, it makes both parts no longer a US flag, and therefore it can be disposed of by burning. burning the whole flag at once is considered disrespectful to the colors. if you want to be especially symbollic, you burn the stripes first and the blue ensign last, the symbolism being that the the ensign sybolizes perpetual union.

I've never heard that you must bury the ashes. I've just been told that you burn the flag on a wood fire and then dispose of the ashes like you normally would.

them's fighting words. On Memorial Day too no less. Do me a favor, never travel overseas and never let anyone know you're an American.

I'm a Libertarian, you have the freedom to do whatever you want as long as you dont interfere with other folks rights. we also have traditions in this country, and civility, and part of that is adhering to certain social norms. you'd do well to heed that.

Oh dear god just throw it away, is this really something people concern themselves with on a regular basis? Disposal of a piece of fabric?

I remember Ronald Reagan's farewell address, and even though I wasn't a huge fan of his, I thought that farewell was a great one.

He talked about the status of the country, and it's new-found feeling of patriotism, and how that patriotism just to be patriotic was fruitless. That it needed to remind us that America is freedom. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion...these just don't exist for some people but they do in the United States. We need to remember how we got here, and the sacrifices of those who were able to allow us to live with these freedoms. He said "If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are." I thought that was a very simple way of reminding us of who we are as a country.

Well, just throwing the flag in the trash can is not doing that. It doesn't recognize what it took to get here as a country. It doesn't help us appreciate the freedoms afforded to us in this country.

That's why you don't just throw it away, because you lose all sense of what you have and how you got it.

Well. Technically,yes. It is just a piece of fabric with some colors on it. However,it's also a symbol. For what we all know and it's pretty much all encompassing. One of the things it does stand for,(well imho),is a person's right to burn that "piece of fabric." Throw it away or whatever. Of course,as with many things,just because you can doesn't mean you should. Be that as it may,if someone wants to treat it like that and just throw it away,so be it.

That said,for me,I think that's bull****. I didn't serve my country for 4 years just so somebody could randomly throw away or burn,(in protest),the very symbol,(no matter how big or small),of what I was ready to go to war for.

Glad we could help the OP with answering this question,(keeping mind that google came up with some obnoxiously large number of hits for this very question as well).

It's not "extreme nationalism" it's called respect.

You can burn the flag in a private ceremony. But before you burn it you need to fold it into a triangle & then place it on a fire that is hot enough to completely turn it to ashes. Then once it is cooled bury the ashes.

That is how you dispose of a flag that's Made in China because to me the flag has already been disrespect by being made in a communist country.

Wow I totally forgot about this thread and here we are 4 pages in and it seems I ruffled some feathers.

I support my country, I would get very mad if I saw someone publicly defacing a US flag. As a matter of fact I participated in a U.S.A chant when I was at the bar on Friday.

To me the only thing that matter is intent. Are you disposing of it in protest? No, you are simply getting a new one. Case closed, nothing to worry about.

Judge me if you want, all I am saying is its a freaking piece of fabric. Why make such a big deal?

Obviously I understand and respect certain ceremonies involving the flag, but I do not feel the need for EVERY flag to be given some grand ceremony.

Separating the stars and stripes and then burning it? Oh man, you sure changed a lot there. I'm going to guess some lawyers thought that one up, sounds like an idea straight from the minds of the U.S. justice system.

Loopholes, technicalities, semantics.

Give me a break, I love my country, but I could care less how you dispose of your flag.

Archived