Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disposal of the US flag

SUSkinsFan

I just bought a new US flag today and need to dispose of the old one. I know the flag should be burned, is that something I am able to do myself or do I need to take it to someplace like a VFW?

And if I am able to burn the flag myself, what is the correct way to do it?

http://www.essortment.com/home/americanflagol_sizv.htm

Disposal of a faded or worn American flag is to be done in one of three ways. You can, if necessary, put the flag out for collection only after you have removed the blue field from the flag. The blue field is to be burned in a peaceful manner and the ashes buried. You can also give the flag to any American Legion, VFW or government office as they will know where to send the flag for proper disposal. They may even suggest a local Boy Scout Troop or organization where public ceremonies are held to discharge flags from service.

The other method is to burn the flag yourself in a proper ceremony. If you are able to personally discharge your worn flag from service the ceremony that follows is the proper way.

Oh dear god just throw it away, is this really something people concern themselves with on a regular basis? Disposal of a piece of fabric?

It's a sign of respect for something that represents you know..... YOUR COUNTRY!!! Plus there are laws that regulate this.

http://www.essortment.com/home/americanflagol_sizv.htm

Disposal of a faded or worn American flag is to be done in one of three ways. You can, if necessary, put the flag out for collection only after you have removed the blue field from the flag. The blue field is to be burned in a peaceful manner and the ashes buried. You can also give the flag to any American Legion, VFW or government office as they will know where to send the flag for proper disposal. They may even suggest a local Boy Scout Troop or organization where public ceremonies are held to discharge flags from service.

The other method is to burn the flag yourself in a proper ceremony. If you are able to personally discharge your worn flag from service the ceremony that follows is the proper way.

Very good question!

The best way is cut the stars from the strips and then burn them in a separate tin cans.Never ever burn or just put it in the trash!Please!

Thank you.If you need to send the USA Flag to me and I'll take care of it.I'll pay for shipping.

Now you know.Please tell every one you know!

BTW if the USA flag touches the ground.You got to burn it.

Please show respect!!!!

Oh dear god just throw it away, is this really something people concern themselves with on a regular basis? Disposal of a piece of fabric?

One of the most ignorant and disrespectful comments I have ever seen on ES. I had to restrain my fingers from earning me a temp or permanant ban.

:middle finger thingy:

I am typing slow and breathing at a controlled pace so I dont find myself with a unexpected vacation from ES.

People should concern theselves with things like this on a regular basis. Men & Women have died defending and preserving what that "piece of fabric" stands for. I hope beyond hope and pray for everyone that you and anyone that thinks like you never have to make the choice of standing and fighting or just throwing it all away.

OP - Take the flag to a VFW or similiar location. They will give the flag the respect it deserves.

You know, even though brianforster's response was so wrong, I bet this is how most people would react if they had an old US Flag, just throw it in the trash can. Maybe he doesn't know about how to properly dispose of a US flag? just saying, give him a little slack for his ignorance

You know, even though brianforster's response was so wrong, I bet this is how most people would react if they had an old US Flag, just throw it in the trash can. Maybe he doesn't know about how to properly dispose of a US flag? just saying, give him a little slack for his ignorance

Yeah some of the responses to his post in here are ridiculous. If the man doesn't know how to properly dispose of an American flag, then he doesn't know. It's not like he's denouncing America or anything. And if any of you getting so pissed about it own American flag beach towels, bandannas or boxers then you're disrespecting the flag just as much and need to STFU.

ok, I get that disposing of a flag is a touchy subject, but what is with this rule of getting ride of the blue field and burning it separately, THEN burying the ashes? sounds kinda cult like to me. And the stripes are just treated like regular garbage, what gives? The whole process sounds a bit unnecessary, wouldn't it be easier just to bury the entire flag on your property somewhere, maybe near the flag pole, or burn the whole thing?

and how come buring the flag in protest is a criminal act, but buring the blue field is considered resepctable?

This whole thing is confusing and contradcitory.

I could link you to many more official sights siting us code, but here is the standard.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/flagday/burnflag.asp

So,I guess you don't have a book!

I am not trying to call you out by no means.

It's just the way my elders brought me up.

Respect.

BTW, I really don't give 2 ****ing ****'s what the enterwebs say!

All I know is that I love USA!

I really hope you're joking, and if you are that is one of the sickest and most disrespectful jokes I've ever heard. And it's bad enough to make a comment like that on any day, but to do it on Memorial Day shows how much of an idiot you are.

Mods I suggest not temp banning people who respond to this person, but temp banning this person themselves. Absolutely disgusting considering the people who are veterans and fighting over seas. Really saddens me some people in this country can't understand the symbolism of the American flag and that it's not just "a piece of fabric".

Not calling me out.

Hey i am with you on respect. If thats what you believe and it makes you feel better, then follow your beliefs.

Regardless, it's an old wives tale.

Here is the American Legion...of course it isn't "The Book" ;)

http://www.legion.org/national/americanflag/faq

Happy Memorial Day.

So. Kid you do have a "Book"?:) Or not.:cool2:

It's good! I get a little anal about the FLAG.

It's like taking bad about my Mom or my dog.

Please feel free to call me what you will.

Happy Memorial Day.;)

Yeah some of the responses to his post in here are ridiculous. If the man doesn't know how to properly dispose of an American flag, then he doesn't know. It's not like he's denouncing America or anything. And if any of you getting so pissed about it own American flag beach towels, bandannas or boxers then you're disrespecting the flag just as much and need to STFU.

Who said they had beach towels, bandannas or boxers? The comment was disrespectful and while he may not know how exactly to dispose of the flag, you learn even in elementary school that you don't just throw it away and it's not just "a piece of fabric".

Who said they had beach towels, bandannas or boxers?

No one said they did, that's why the word "if" was in my post. In my experience, the people that are the most vocal about the treatment of the flag often have American-flag-style items like the ones mentioned and I consider that just as disrespectful as throwing the flag in a garbage can.

No one said they did, that's why the word "if" was in my post. In my experience, the people that are the most vocal about the treatment of the flag often have American-flag-style items like the ones mentioned and I consider that just as disrespectful as throwing the flag in a garbage can.

I can speak for myself when I say I don't have any of that stuff.

Have you ever had a family member serve in the US military? If so, I'd really like you to reiterate the ignorant horse**** that spewed from your keyboard. I display a flag 365 days a year out of respect to the greatest country on earth, and to those who served or perished depending our freedoms. It's not just a piece of fabric.

God Bless Our Troops and God Bless America!

Archived