Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parents refuse to let son get Chemotherapy, he never showed up for court

adamyesme1111

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

He MIGHT die.

That's the difference.

I dont disagree that the parents are crazy. But we dont want the courts mandating treatments.

The proper thing to do is for the parents to lose their rights as parents and have a court appointed guardian make the decisions.

I agree with that, letting a court appointed guardian make the decision. I just hope they find the child and the mother before it is too late.

90% is not 100%

5% is not 0%

Where am I arguing 0 and 100%? Only an idiot would argue that non treatment or some hocus pocus religion treatments are more effective than chemotherapy.

There's not a 100% chance you're going to die if someone shoots you in the head with a gun, but that doesn't mean you want them doing it.

I saw a piece on the news where they stated the Hodgkins Lymphoma he is diagnosed with has an above 90% success rate when treated, and a 5% survival rate when untreated. I think that's a little more sure than might die.

Fine. It's still not absolute.

Where am I arguing 0 and 100%? Only an idiot would argue that non treatment or some hocus pocus religion treatments are more effective than chemotherapy.

There's not a 100% chance you're going to die if someone shoots you in the head with a gun, but that doesn't mean you want them doing it.

Which is why motive is used in cases involving murder/assualt etc.

And I dont want the Govt deciding which religious beliefs are valid and which are "hocus pocus".

You missed the point completely:doh:

The argument for violating the families religious freedom is about the absolutes that if they do what their religion says then he will die while if they get the Chemo then he will live.

(Note: if this was my kid he would be getting the best treatment I could find, if that was Chemo, then that is what he would get. But, this is NOT my kid so it is NOT my choice as to the treatment options to pursue or reject)

Fine. It's still not absolute.

In one of the articles I posted it actually says a 95 percent chance of survival if treated, and a 5 percent chance of survival if not treated. He isn't for SURE going to die, and I am going to hope that if the parents dont get caught...that he DOES survive..

I don't care if that makes his parents look like GENIUSES...I just don't think the kid deserves to die because of his parents.

In one of the articles I posted it actually says a 95 percent chance of survival if treated, and a 5 percent chance of survival if not treated. He isn't for SURE going to die, and I am going to hope that if the parents dont get caught...that he DOES survive..

I don't care if that makes his parents look like GENIUSES...I just don't think the kid deserves to die because of his parents.

Do you also favor the Govt requiring kids to get vaccinated? IE, not just to attend school, but if a parent homeschools, should the govt be allowed to require vaccines?

What if my child gets a cold. I personally think that we overmedicate our kids and that leads to a less healthy immune system. So we do not give our kids any antibiotics for viruses. Would you allow the Govt to force me to give them to my child?

Do you also favor the Govt requiring kids to get vaccinated? IE, not just to attend school, but if a parent homeschools, should the govt be allowed to require vaccines?

What if my child gets a cold. I personally think that we overmedicate our kids and that leads to a less healthy immune system. So we do not give our kids any antibiotics for viruses. Would you allow the Govt to force me to give them to my child?

You just won't quit, there are few situations like this...And I am giving my opinion that this kid does not deserve to die because of his parents brainwashing him.

Comparing a cold to Cancer is ridiculous

If I start a religion that says that I don't have to pay taxes..or register for the selective service ...can I hide behind that religion too?

Isnt that the problem. We use a selective enforcement for this kind of problem all the time. Muslim inmates are given special priviledges in jails due to religion. Jehovahs witnesses are given special priviledges in schools.

Who gets to decide which are legit and which are bull****?

You just won't quit, there are few situations like this...And I am giving my opinion that this kid does not deserve to die because of his parents brainwashing him.

Comparing a cold to Cancer is ridiculous

You are again assuming he will die. And you again equate their religios beliefs to brainwashing. Why do you get to make that decision?

The parents are cowards.

Why do you think that?

If anything, I think it's pretty gutsy to defy a court order and do what they truly believfe is the right thing for their son.

They might very well be fools, but I dont think they're cowards.

And even if they are. Isnt that their right to be cowards?

I guess the govt should decide end of life situations too? Like a terminally ill child living on machines. Does the govt decide when to pull the plug? Is a 95% mortality rate enough to simply refuse treatment? I mean, even if we treat the child, there is a 95% chance they dia anyway, so why bother? And what of the 5% that actually survive these tremendous odds?

The govt has NO place in treatment decisions. The parents have the legal right to choose. Just as Mr. Schaivo had the legal right to choose.

There can be no bleeding of black into white. That makes grey, and the govy is horrible at setting precedent in grey areas.

They are cowards because they either refuse to act like adults (an adult would make the decision that gives their kid a chance to live) or they refuse to be parents and allow their kid to govern them.

Boo hoo. Your kid is dieing. Do the right thing and let medicine...you know...the thing that your GOD created through man, do its best.

I hate stuff like this.

Not only are the stories tragic, but they force me to choose between several of my strongly held moral/political views that, in this case, pretty much directly conflict.

It would be so easy if these parents were refusing treatment for themselves. That's their right. But a mentally challenged 13 year old? Oh man, that is hard....

They are cowards because they either refuse to act like adults (an adult would make the decision that gives their kid a chance to live) or they refuse to be parents and allow their kid to govern them.

Boo hoo. Your kid is dieing. Do the right thing and let medicine...you know...the thing that your GOD created through man, do its best.

They are making the decision that THEY think gives their kid the best chance to live.

A coward would bow to the pressure to go against that belief.

I

The govt has NO place in treatment decisions. The parents have the legal right to choose. Just as Mr. Schaivo had the legal right to choose.

Well, Mr. Schiavo only had the right to choose after he proved to a court that there was no chance Terry Schiavo would recover.

This situation is quite different, on many levels.

Well, Mr. Schiavo only had the right to choose after he proved to a court that there was no chance Terry Schiavo would recover.

This situation is quite different, on many levels.

Yep. There is no opposing party like there was in that case. I think that DEpt of Children and Famillies (or whatever agency is similar)) should have been in on this long ago to determine whether or not to remove the child. But since they didnt, the parents have the right to make this decision.

Shouldn't government intervene when parents endanger the life of their child? At some point, the welfare of the child supersedes parental rights.

This seems to be such a case. The stark odds of survival with treatment vs. non-treatment make it a compelling case for government intervention.

Archived