Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parents refuse to let son get Chemotherapy, he never showed up for court

adamyesme1111

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I searched for this using the google search and the extremeskins search using many key words(I thought this would have been posted by now), and I flipped back to page 4 and couldn't find anything.

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/religion-values/story/1049411.html

Daniel was diagnosed in January with Hodgkin's lymphoma. He and his parents, Colleen and Anthony Hauser, who live on a farm in Sleepy Eye, Minn., don't want him to resume chemotherapy for his cancer. The boy considers himself a Native American medicine man, and the family believes conventional treatments go against the family's religious beliefs.

The family prefers natural remedies, including herbs and vitamins. Some of these techniques they've learned from the Internet. What's more, Colleen testified that she had signed the consent form for his only chemotherapy treatment in February because she felt pressured, but insisted she never agreed to the six full treatments the doctors recommended.

Though doctors have presented X-rays that show the mass in her son's chest has grown since he stopped treatment, Colleen dismisses this as scar tissue and believes the cancer will not metastasize. She warned the judge that she and her son would refuse to follow the court order if he were required to resume chemotherapy.

Daniel's oncologist at Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, on the other hand, testified that Daniel has a 95 percent chance of survival if he receives chemotherapy -- without it, that plunges to 5 percent. Other medical opinions have concurred.

I remember reading somewhere that they said that they were positive that god was going to save their son.

On Fox News today it was said that he didn't show up for court, and nobody knows where the child is. This kind-of indicates that the parents are hiding him, because the court would most likely rule in favor to him getting chemotherapy against his will.

I personally think that if the kid dies..the kids should go to trial for murder. This really makes me sick, a 95 percent chance of survival if he does chemotherapy, and a 5 percent chance if he doesn't?

Am I the only one who feels strongly about this? Everybody is out looking for this kid...he should be getting proper medical treatment whether or not it goes against his parents' "religious beliefs". He is only 13, this is horrible. :doh:

Here is a more recent article, about them not showing up to court, and the father saying that he doesn't know where they are.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2009240035_chemoboy20.html

A Minnesota judge issued an arrest warrant Tuesday afternoon for the mother of a 13-year-old boy who is resisting chemotherapy for cancer after she and her son failed to show up at a court hearing.

Daniel Hauser was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in January and received his only chemotherapy and radiation treatment that month. He did not return for a second treatment in February and the family began substituting alternative care, including herbs and vitamins.

His doctors notified child-protection officials, prompting Brown County Attorney James Olson to file a child-neglect petition.

Anthony Hauser, the father of Daniel Hauser, testified that he doesn't know the whereabouts of his son and his wife, Colleen.

Anthony Hauser said he last spoke to his wife at about 4 p.m. Monday as he milked cows at the family's farm in Sleepy Eye, Minn. He said his wife told him she was going to leave and "That's all you need to know."

It's crazy how people can be this stubborn in the name of Religion. How brainwashed can you be?

Keep your beliefs to yourself, don't force another individual to have the same views! Even if it's your child!

It's crazy how people can be this stubborn in the name of Religion. How brainwashed can you be?

Keep your beliefs to yourself, don't force another individual to have the same views! Even if it's your child!

That is what I am saying. The kid obviously had this religion shoved into his head his entire life. He is on his parent's side of course.

I hope they find that kid...:(

Its none of the courts business if both the kid and his parents chose to forgo treatment. The kid is the one who requested no chemo because it made him sick and in pain. If the decision came soley from the parents I might feel differently b ut a 13 year old should have some opinion on treatment too

....b ut a 13 year old should have some opinion on treatment too

I disagree here. 13yr. olds will always take the quickest, easiest out without true consideration of the consequences. He might feel better now if he's off the meds, but he doesn't fully understand how he's gonna feel later without them.

Its none of the courts business if both the kid and his parents chose to forgo treatment. The kid is the one who requested no chemo because it made him sick and in pain. If the decision came soley from the parents I might feel differently b ut a 13 year old should have some opinion on treatment too

I disagree that the kid's opinion has weight here. He is a minor and his own oncologist has already said that he has a highly treatable condition which if not treated amounts to a death sentence. We're not talking about getting a patient's opinion on whether he wants some treatment to extend life for a condition that's already terminal.

Remember also that this 13 year old can't read, has other learning difficulties and thinks he's a medicine man, according to earlier court statements.

You cannot argue that the courts should intervene to treat this boy against his will and then be "pro-choice" on killing unborn babies. In this case the actual one facing death is the one making the choice.

(That being said, the family is seriously mistaken to reject treatment - but the state has no right in forcing the unwanted treatment on the kid)

I think the parents are loons but I'm not sure they should be forced to get treatment for their son.

Yep.

Do we want Govt to start forcing people to do things against their religion?

Jehovahs Witnesses have some bizarre beliefs IMO, but I certainly dont want the Govt to mandate they do something that violate one of their religious tenets.

Yep.

Do we want Govt to start forcing people to do things against their religion?

Jehovahs Witnesses have some bizarre beliefs IMO, but I certainly dont want the Govt to mandate they do something that violate one of their religious tenets.

So the kid must die because his parents have pretty much been shoving a religion down his throat since he was born? Like someone else has stated, the kid has learning dissabilities...and doesn't really understand that he is going to DIE unless he gets the treatment, he thinks that there is an 100 percent chance he is going to live if he doesn't get the treatment, that is what his parents are telling him...and of course he is going to believe his parents.

If it was one of the parents, then that would be THEIR choice...but this is a 13 year old child who doesn't seem to understand the real statistics.

How anyone can stick up for these parents is beyond me...they are killing their son.

So the kid must die because his parents have pretty much been shoving a religion down his throat since he was born? Like someone else has stated, the kid has learning dissabilities...and doesn't really understand that he is going to DIE unless he gets the treatment, he thinks that there is an 100 percent chance he is going to live if he doesn't get the treatment, that is what his parents are telling him...and of course he is going to believe his parents.

If it was one of the parents, then that would be THEIR choice...but this is a 13 year old child who doesn't seem to understand the real statistics.

How anyone can stick up for these parents is beyond me...they are killing their son.

There are avenues to take to relieve the parents of their authority. That would be the proper way to address it. Do you want the courts to start deciding which religious beliefs are valid arguments and which are not?

There are avenues to take to relieve the parents of their authority. That would be the proper way to address it. Do you want the courts to start deciding which religious beliefs are valid arguments and which are not?

The government should have nothing to do with religion at all, that is how this country was founded. I don't think you can place a death sentence on a your 13 year old kid for any reason...

What if these people are just sick? What if they just don't want their son anymore and they want to kill him? You are saying they should be allowed to?

(that is of course speculation, but this is ridiculous)

He was influeneced by his parents to believe that god will cure him...The child has no idea that really, he is almost positively going to die. He is going to believe his parents over anybody else. I don't think it is right that a 13 year old should have to die because of his parents' religion and him being so heavily influenced by it. You know what I mean?

The government should have nothing to do with religion at all, that is how this country was founded. I don't think you can place a death sentence on a your 13 year old kid for any reason...

What if these people are just sick? What if they just don't want their son anymore and they want to kill him? You are saying they should be allowed to?

(that is of course speculation, but this is ridiculous)

He was influeneced by his parents to believe that god will cure him...The child has no idea that really, he is almost positively going to die. He is going to believe his parents over anybody else. I don't think it is right that a 13 year old should have to die because of his parents' religion and him being so heavily influenced by it. You know what I mean?

You are correct. The Govt shouldnt have any influence over religios beliefs. SO why do you want them to get involved in this religious belief? Simply because you disagree with it? That's a dangerous precedent to set by a court.

You are correct. The Govt shouldnt have any influence over religios beliefs. SO why do you want them to get involved in this religious belief? Simply because you disagree with it? That's a dangerous precedent to set by a court.

I have stated already..for one reason and one reason only...THE KID WILL DIE! He doesn't realize he is going to die, because his whole life he was brainwashed...Do you really think his parents gave him a choice to his religion? It just isn't right. If you can do this then why can't you murder someone in cold blood and say it was your religios beliefs? Should terrorists be set free because they are just doing what they believe Allah wants them to do???

The parents are about to cash in on his insurance policy instead of having to pay for the treatment. (I am NOT saying that this is the reason they are doing it)

If they get away with this, some sick parents will use the same damn excuse when their kid has cancer, and let their child die so they can cash in. There are some sick people out there.

The child has no idea that he is going to die, because his parents tell him he is going to live he believes them. That is why it makes me sick.

He MIGHT die.

That's the difference.

I dont disagree that the parents are crazy. But we dont want the courts mandating treatments.

The proper thing to do is for the parents to lose their rights as parents and have a court appointed guardian make the decisions.

I have stated already..for one reason and one reason only...THE KID WILL DIE! He doesn't realize he is going to die, because his whole life he was brainwashed...Do you really think his parents gave him a choice to his religion? It just isn't right. If you can do this then why can't you murder someone in cold blood and say it was your religios beliefs? Should terrorists be set free because they are just doing what they believe Allah wants them to do???

The parents are about to cash in on his insurance policy instead of having to pay for the treatment. (I am NOT saying that this is the reason they are doing it)

If they get away with this, some sick parents will use the same damn excuse when their kid has cancer, and let their child die so they can cash in. There are some sick people out there.

The child has no idea that he is going to die, because his parents tell him he is going to live he believes them. That is why it makes me sick.

You are mis-stating some facts here. It is not 100% that the kid will die without Chemo. It is not 100% that the kid will live with Chemo. We believe that the probabilities of his living are improved greatly by receiving Chemo but we cannot be 100% certain that this is true.

Freedom of religion is not just for things you agree with.

It just isn't right. If you can do this then why can't you murder someone in cold blood and say it was your religios beliefs?

We have been doing this in this country for many years now and have killed 50 million babies in the name of "Choice"

He MIGHT die.

That's the difference.

I dont disagree that the parents are crazy. But we dont want the courts mandating treatments.

The proper thing to do is for the parents to lose their rights as parents and have a court appointed guardian make the decisions.

I saw a piece on the news where they stated the Hodgkins Lymphoma he is diagnosed with has an above 90% success rate when treated, and a 5% survival rate when untreated. I think that's a little more sure than might die.

I saw a piece on the news where they stated the Hodgkins Lymphoma he is diagnosed with has an above 90% success rate when treated, and a 5% survival rate when untreated. I think that's a little more sure than might die.

90% is not 100%

5% is not 0%

but what if the parents brainwashed the 13 yearold into saying no

I can understand your arguments, but this is one thing I will not be swayed on. Sure there is a small chance he will survive, but when he dies what is going to happen?

When his mom took her son and ran off from the doctors trying to save her kids life and he dies what happens to her?

Archived