Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Thomas Knows 'Pressure Is On' (Thomas/Campbell practice tidbits)

#98QBKiller

I think alot of people forget that Thomas pretty much played one year of D-1A football. He transferred from a Jr College to Michigan St and didn't play much his first year there and then had his breakout season and then came to the NFL. He is still a very raw talent at WR and has alot of learning to do. The more he learns his routes and studies film, the better he will be. I'm looking for a solid year out of him, 700-900 yards and 5 or 6 TDs would be a good start.

I think alot of people forget that Thomas pretty much played one year of D-1A football. He transferred from a Jr College to Michigan St and didn't play much his first year there and then had his breakout season and then came to the NFL. He is still a very raw talent at WR and has alot of learning to do. The more he learns his routes and studies film, the better he will be. I'm looking for a solid year out of him, 700-900 yards and 5 or 6 TDs would be a good start.

Those are some good points, but remember he did play in the Big 10 which is a very strong conference and has produced some great cornerbacks and other defenders. It's not like he playe dhis ball at a 1-AA school. He played against some of college football's best

Those are some good points, but remember he did play in the Big 10 which is a very strong conference and has produced some great cornerbacks and other defenders. It's not like he playe dhis ball at a 1-AA school. He played against some of college football's best

True, but the Big Ten is more of a power running and defense league than it is passing. Still, it takes WRs a year or two to adjust to the NFL anyway. Some of the best WRs in the game now started out slow their first season as well. Most started to improve in their 2nd season. I'll find the numbers for them and post them later. But I'm still not worried about Thomas, I think he'll be fine this year.

Think he could be saying that just to cover his ass?

I'm not so sure he is just saying that. I've read elsewhere (especially in Terl's blog) that Davis has been putting in a lot of work this offseason. I think it was Meidt (the coach) that claimed Davis will go through his practice, a full lifting workout, then come back out to run routes and work with the coaches/quarterbacks. In one of Zorn's interviews he said that at time Davis will look better at things than Cooley and may look like the guy, but he will not start over Cooley.

Conclusion: I feel pretty confident about Davis' abilities and how hard he's been working, just as I do with Devin. I think Malcolm has all the talent in the world to not just contribute but to be a Plaxico type receiver for us without the off-field distractions, and I'm hoping his knee is finally ok since they decided to try and fix the problem not just patch it up. Time will tell, but I'm pumped for this coming season to see what our offense can do.

Jim Zorn needs to spend some time developing a Devin Thomas 'package' with plays which he is really comfortable with and then feed him early in the season to get him established and his confidence up.

If we can get Thomas productive it will open things up for Moss and make a huge difference to our offense and to Jason Campbell.

I'd like to see Fred Davis have a similar package witha focus on the red zone. Teams took Cooley away from us last year in the red zone (he only had 1 TD and that was an option pass from Randle El) becuase they knew he was our only real red zone threat - get Davis involved down there and it makes them think twice about focuing on Cooley.

I'm not writing Kelly off yet either but I have concerns at bout him ever being up to the physical challenge his knee issues are causing. If we can get and keep him healthy I think Kelly can be also be a huge deal for us in the red zone.

I think your right DT needs to become the focus right out the gate on offense. Make the defense respect #11 so that Moss/Cooley/ARE can uncover and get open. It would be smart to have DT and Fred D packages to get them involved in the offense...it would also take some of the decision making away from JC...He knows his first look isn't always MOSS but to look for the other WR's first on some routes...

I see DT having a Roddy White type career progression. Both were raw prospects coming out of the gate, Roddy having played CUSA competition at UAB, DT having only 1 year BCS ball.

2008 Atlanta Falcons G:16 Rec:88 Yds:1,382 Avg:15.7 Avg/G:86.4 Lg:70T TD:7

2007 Atlanta Falcons 16 83 1,202 14.5 75.1 69T 6

2006 Atlanta Falcons 16 30 506 16.9 31.6 55 0

2005 Atlanta Falcons 16 29 446 15.4 27.9 54T 3

Roddy had a better rookie year, but was less raw in my eyes. I think 500-700 yards is a reasonable expectation, with 3-5 TDs. If he can get that, I will be confident he can have the big 3rd year that tells you if you have a future #1. Thats the year WRs really breakout.

I see DT having a Roddy White type career progression. Both were raw prospects coming out of the gate, Roddy having played CUSA competition at UAB, DT having only 1 year BCS ball.

I wouldn't mind that at all. Like I said, it generally takes a WR a year or two to adjust to the NFL. DT might take a little longer since he is more raw than most WRs, but he definitely has the physical tools to be good in this league.

Jim Zorn needs to spend some time developing a Devin Thomas 'package' with plays which he is really comfortable with and then feed him early in the season to get him established and his confidence up.

If we can get Thomas productive it will open things up for Moss and make a huge difference to our offense and to Jason Campbell.

I'd like to see Fred Davis have a similar package witha focus on the red zone. Teams took Cooley away from us last year in the red zone (he only had 1 TD and that was an option pass from Randle El) becuase they knew he was our only real red zone threat - get Davis involved down there and it makes them think twice about focuing on Cooley.

I was thinking almost the exact same on the way in toi work today . We have to make pacxkages that have Davis and Thmoas as the go to guys, maybe quite high percentage stuff dink and dunk, early in the season, even at the cost of touches to our established stars, so then D-Co-ordiators think woah we cannot just sit on Cooley/Moss . One thing I really like about Davis is that for a big chunk of time last season he was actually on the field but used as a blocking TE mainly and I think unseated Yoda in some packages which is good because that was where he neaded the work to be a legit TE .My question is what if Davis is better than Cooley at the end of the season or next season ? Surely he could never unseat CC could he ?

I was thinking almost the exact same on the way in toi work today . We have to make pacxkages that have Davis and Thmoas as the go to guys, maybe quite high percentage stuff dink and dunk, early in the season, even at the cost of touches to our established stars, so then D-Co-ordiators think woah we cannot just sit on Cooley/Moss . One thing I really like about Davis is that for a big chunk of time last season he was actually on the field but used as a blocking TE mainly and I think unseated Yoda in some packages which is good because that was where he neaded the work to be a legit TE .My question is what if Davis is better than Cooley at the end of the season or next season ? Surely he could never unseat CC could he ?
:rotflmao:Nice quote, but "Yoda" cracked me up.

2008 Atlanta Falcons G:16 Rec:88 Yds:1,382 Avg:15.7 Avg/G:86.4 Lg:70T TD:7

2007 Atlanta Falcons 16 83 1,202 14.5 75.1 69T 6

2006 Atlanta Falcons 16 30 506 16.9 31.6 55 0

2005 Atlanta Falcons 16 29 446 15.4 27.9 54T 3

Roddy had a better rookie year, but was less raw in my eyes. I think 500-700 yards is a reasonable expectation, with 3-5 TDs. If he can get that, I will be confident he can have the big 3rd year that tells you if you have a future #1. Thats the year WRs really breakout.

That being said, Thomas probably has a better QB throwing him the ball than what Roddy had his first two years.

My question is what if Davis is better than Cooley at the end of the season or next season ? Surely he could never unseat CC could he ?

This is a problem I would love to have. In my opinion he would not only have to play as well as Cooley, but be clearly the better player to unseat him. This couldn't just be a game or two but consistent dominant performances. At that point assuming Cooley is still playing well I think we would just switch to a two TE base set since Sellars is getting older anyway.

As much as I love Cooley if Fred Davis, or any other player did develop into the better player then I hope the better player would play. A player isn't bigger than the team, even if they are hillarious.

That being said, Thomas probably has a better QB throwing him the ball than what Roddy had his first two years.

I will not argue with that. Roddy did more with less as a frosh and soph. But I would argue that a Vick-led offense was more effective than the '08 Skins.

Edit: Actually not a lot of difference between '05 Falcons Offense and '08 Skins. I guess the only real comparison is that both were coined raw, and both did not exceed expectations their rookie year. Roddy only really took off when a QB other than MV was throwing him the ball...

This is a problem I would love to have. In my opinion he would not only have to play as well as Cooley, but be clearly the better player to unseat him. This couldn't just be a game or two but consistent dominant performances. At that point assuming Cooley is still playing well I think we would just switch to a two TE base set since Sellars is getting older anyway.

As much as I love Cooley if Fred Davis, or any other player did develop into the better player then I hope the better player would play. A player isn't bigger than the team, even if they are hillarious.

Doesn't Cooley have experience at H-Back? I wonder if we could be looking to utilize him in that role with Davis as the TE (and Sellers off the field)??

If we had TWO Pro Bowl-quality TEs on the team, I'd hope they'd trade one of them for some extra draft picks (preferrably Davis because I love Cooley and he's already proven himself beyond doubt). But only after a few seasons of utilizing them both to our advantage lol :D...

If we had TWO Pro Bowl-quality TEs on the team, I'd hope they'd trade one of them for some extra draft picks (preferrably Davis because I love Cooley and he's already proven himself beyond doubt). But only after a few seasons of utilizing them both to our advantage lol :D...

I'm thinking that's probably what will happen before Davis' contract runs out.

If both players are equal in talent, and we trade someone in a couple of years, it should be the older player - Cooley. If there is no cap, then we should hold onto both players. It's hard to get good value for a TE. I can't recall a TE going for a 1st rounder ever, and I wouldn't trade cooley for less.

Now if you could get a 1st rounder, or a premier talent at a position of need, then I might part with Cooley if there were no cap. If Fred Davis looked fantastic, I might be tempted to part with Cooley for Peppers or Dansby in a straight up player for player swap.

As things stand though, Cooley is the most reliable player on our entire offensive roster. I don't see us moving him in the next 2 years.

Archived