Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking of getting a Firearm, looking for info

gutlead74

Rugged, reliable and inexpensive . . . are these bad things? Sounds like its exactly what he needs. Sounds like what everybody needs in a gun. I don't see how that is a downside.

You are right, they are great things. That's why Glock is so successful. But you can't tell me you don't give up something for buying a Glock at roughly half the price of other weapons. You definitely give up accuracy. If you can consistantly get a headshot with a glock at 14 yards, you are doing pretty good.

I can constantly hit inside an inch with an FN-Five Seven at 10 meters, I can't consistently hit inside six inches with a glock at that range.

Accuracy? What do you base this claim on? Sounds ignorant to me. Actually, it sounds like you're either a 1911 snob, or hang out with them and regurgitate their garbage. Its as accurate as any other handgun. Will you be shooting a squirrel in the left nut at 50 yards? Probably not. Can you, reliably, make head shots at 15 yards? Yes.

I like to hit what I'm shooting at when I'm at the range. I do like 1911's. I do like 45's. I think my favorite handgun right now is the FN Five Seven. The ammunition is not cheap but it's a really really accurate production weapon, the recoil is absorbed by the weapon. It's also very light which also keeps your arms from tiring at the range. I'm a fairly good shot, but shooting this weapon the first time significantly improved my precision even over my 1911, and my 1911 is more accurate than the glocks.

The FN P6 or FN P45 are both excellent weapons too with similar features. They aren't much more expensive than the glocks and they are just better weapons with regards to shooting true and fun at the range. If I had to take a weapon into the woods or a swamp the Glock would be a good choice because you know it's going to be very forgiving with regards to the elements and reliability.

If I'm looking for a fun gun to shoot and build up my precision at the range I'd go with something else like the FN's I mentioned. I like the five seven, but it's a little expensive. The FN-P6 an FN-P45 are the ones I would recomend he shoot before he buys a Glock. If he shoots both (an FN and a Glock), no chance he buys a glock.

Also as has been said before, the Glocks aren't that forgiving from a safety stand point. They don't have a standard safety locking mechanism on them, like many modern weapons don't; but worse having to pull the trigger on a glock in order to break it down is especially freaky. As I said before folks who shoot themselves while cleaning their weapons are as often as not glock owners. Not sure if this is an IQ issue or that design feature I mentioned previously.

Modern 9mm hollow points will do more than enough damage to put someone down for the count.

If your arguing a 9mm has the stopping power of a 45 we will have to disagree.

Buying a gun, especially a handgun, is all about your comfort level with the gun. If you're more comfortable with a Glock than a 1911 or a USP, then by all means, buy the Glock (so long as you were using proper grip/technique when shooting).

I would not recommend a 1911 for a new gun owner. I think the recoil really takes some getting used too. It's not fun to train on a 45 until you really stop anticipating the recoil. I enjoy hitting the bulls eyes consistently and the glock is not capable of doing that. Like I said I would go with the FN's or maybe a Beretta. But then again the Beretta is a more expensive gun. It's frankly a better gun to shoot as are the FN's. The FN's I mentioned aren't more expensive than the glock.

You are right, they are great things. That's why Glock is so successful. But you can't tell me you don't give up something for buying a Glock at roughly half the price of other weapons. You definitely give up accuracy. If you can consistantly get a headshot with a glock at 14 yards, you are doing pretty good.

I can constantly hit inside an inch with an FN-Five Seven at 10 meters, I can't consistently hit inside six inches with a glock at that range.

My Glock can. I shoot 10mm Auto,and I think that has a lot to do with it.

Glock eats just about any ammo you throw at it.

I've seen Beretta 92s that could I could barely get the roundsinside center mass just due to abuse.

And honestly, if you're looking for accuracy similar to your FN Five Seven, just buy an aftermarket barrel and spend the money you would have saved on ammo. Personally, I think you're inablity to hit a six inch target has more to do with your level of comfort shooting a Glock. Its a weird angle, especially if you come from "normal" handguns.

I like to hit what I'm shooting at when I'm at the range. I do like 1911's. I do like 45's. I think my favorite handgun right now is the FN Five Seven. The ammunition is not cheap but it's a really really accurate production weapon, the recoil is absorbed by the weapon. It's also very light which also keeps your arms from tiring at the range. I'm a fairly good shot, but shooting this weapon the first time significantly improved my precision even over my 1911, and my 1911 is more accurate than the glocks.

The FN P6 or FN P45 are both excellent weapons too with similar features. They aren't much more expensive than the glocks and they are just better weapons with regards to shooting true and fun at the range. If I had to take a weapon into the woods or a swamp the Glock would be a good choice because you know it's going to be very forgiving with regards to the elements and reliability.

If I'm looking for a fun gun to shoot and build up my precision at the range I'd go with something else like the FN's I mentioned. I like the five seven, but it's a little expensive. The FN-P6 an FN-P45 are the ones I would recomend he shoot before he buys a Glock. If he shoots both (an FN and a Glock), no chance he buys a glock.

Also as has been said before, the Glocks aren't that forgiving from a safety stand point. They don't have a standard safety locking mechanism on them, like many modern weapons don't; but worse having to pull the trigger on a glock in order to break it down is especially freaky. As I said before folks who shoot themselves while cleaning their weapons are as often as not glock owners. Not sure if this is an IQ issue or that design feature I mentioned previously.

Don't get me wrong. If you like the gun, by all means, spend your money. If you can't hit crap with a the best $5000 handgun in the world, than its pretty much a worthless piece of junk. All I'm saying is that if you can shoot something accurately/comfortably and it costs way less than the next option, shoot the cheap gun.

I don't know crap about FN handguns, other than what I've read on the 5.7mm round. It intruiges me, but right now its way too expensive. Even when comapared to .45 Super or 10mm Auto (which is, if you can't guess, my favorite handgun roudn). If you want a practice weapon, I'm all about a .22. Seriously, can there be a cheaper round? I bought a .22 conversion kit for my Glock and haven't looked back. Its already paid for itself.

AS for safety, flat out, mechanical safties are a cruch. One that will get people killed. There are 5 weapon safety rules in the Marine Corps. Only one of them deals with a mechanical safety. If you obey the other four, you're fine. When you make them a muscle memory, you won't even think about a safety. Heck, I prefer not to have one on a handgun. I do however like a SA/DA combo with de****er.

If your arguing a 9mm has the stopping power of a 45 we will have to disagree.

I just think that hollowpoints have greatly reduced the gap between 9mm and 45. Especially with the advances in pressurized ammo and hollow point technology.

I would not recommend a 1911 for a new gun owner. I think the recoil really takes some getting used too. It's not fun to train on a 45 until you really stop anticipating the recoil. I enjoy hitting the bulls eyes consistently and the glock is not capable of doing that. Like I said I would go with the FN's or maybe a Beretta. But then again the Beretta is a more expensive gun. It's frankly a better gun to shoot as are the FN's. The FN's I mentioned aren't more expensive than the glock.

I kind of disagree. I recommend having a gun with high recoil to practice with. It helps you get accustomed to the recoil.

I was having an issue anticpating recoil for a while, when I got my Glock 20. Then a wealthy buddy of mine pulled me aside at the range and let me shoot his S&W 500. Never in my life have I experienced something like that. Rifles don' thave that kind of kick. Shotguns don't have that sort of blast. Heck, 240s don't leave my ears ringing that much. I could feel the recoil in my chest and watched a flame exit the barrel and keep going for about 3 feet. The 12 guage shotgunners at the end of the range stopped shooting and had a WTF was that look on their face.

After that . . . recoil from 10mm Auto really wasn't a problem.

Odd that I see this thread today. Was just having this discussion with my brother, who is an LAPD officer. He swears by his .45 Glock but says alot of officers use 9mm as their personal weapons of choice.

I myself learned to shoot with both Colt 1911 .45 as well as Beretta 92F 9mm and can't stand the look or the feel of a Glock. To me, it feels like a toy.

Good timing for this thread - I'll be looking to get a gun soon after I move into my new place, and have been wondering about where to get the best info on them (for the first step, obviously; I'll be shooting anything I'm interested in at a range before I buy).

Question for those in the know - ideally, I'd like to own both a handgun and a shotgun. There's a lot of good handgun talk in this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to shotguns?

Really can't see how you can go wrong with a Mossberg 500. Classic, but still great

Yep,or a Remington 870 or Ithaca 37

dependable classics that will last forever,and really all anyone,that does not carry, needs for defense.

Don't get me wrong. If you like the gun, by all means, spend your money. If you can't hit crap with a the best $5000 handgun in the world, than its pretty much a worthless piece of junk. All I'm saying is that if you can shoot something accurately/comfortably and it costs way less than the next option, shoot the cheap gun.

Well I'm not saying Glocks are Cheap guns. They're inexpensive but they certainly have a quality to them. I agree with your analysis. Shoot what you feel more comfortable with. I think if he shoots an FN it's like driving a Cadilac over a Buick. But that's just me and my experience.

I also put a higher priority on accuracy than other folks might. My thrill comes in being able to always hit what I'm aiming at. Shooting a glock and having a six seven or eight inch spread, and then shooting an FN and being able to hit four different on inch targets boom boom boom after another is incrediblely fulfilling to me.

I don't know crap about FN handguns, other than what I've read on the 5.7mm round. It intruiges me, but right now its way too expensive. Even when comapared to .45 Super or 10mm Auto (which is, if you can't guess, my favorite handgun roudn). If you want a practice weapon, I'm all about a .22. Seriously, can there be a cheaper round? I bought a .22 conversion kit for my Glock and haven't looked back. Its already paid for itself.

That's a good way to go. FN also makes a 9mm and a 45. Both in the same price range as a Glock which are excellent weapons. What's cool about the 5.7 is it shoot a rifle round and it's a little more experiemntal. I agree with you though it's expensive and isn't for everybody.

AS for safety, flat out, mechanical safties are a cruch. One that will get people killed. There are 5 weapon safety rules in the Marine Corps. Only one of them deals with a mechanical safety. If you obey the other four, you're fine. When you make them a muscle memory, you won't even think about a safety. Heck, I prefer not to have one on a handgun. I do however like a SA/DA combo with de****er.

I agree with you the lack of a physical conventional safety is becoming more and more common. today safety means the gun won't go off unless you pull the trigger, not a switch on the frame. I don't knock the glock for not having a conventional safety. I do knock it on safety grounds for making you pull the trigger in order to break it down. That's a dangerous feature which should give newbies pause. It's not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of. If you fail to clear the chamber, your glock will go off when your cleaning it. A berreta for example is more forgiving.

I kind of disagree. I recommend having a gun with high recoil to practice with. It helps you get accustomed to the recoil.

you would reccoment a 1911 45 as a good first gun? I guess maybe if the guy were a former NFL linebacker and was serious about learning how to shoot. I live the 1911, its' a classic.. I think it's also the most popular gun at NRA shooting tourneys; I don't think I would recommend it as a good general first weapon though. I think it's much more fun to shoot a smaller caliber and get good with that before moving on to the 1911.

As for low recoil weapons. Heres the deal, shooting a weapon which mitigates recoil allows you to stay on target better between shots. It allows for faster more accurate shooting. It's an important part of making a gun more accurate and faster to use. Custom weapons do this with sophisticated muzzels, custom grips, or other types of expensive accessories. with the FN familiy of weapons it's in the design of the gun. Add to that the fact that the FN are very light, it's easier to shoot several boxes of carterages and not get tired.

theyr'e really fun guns to shoot.

I was having an issue anticpating recoil for a while, when I got my Glock 20. Then a wealthy buddy of mine pulled me aside at the range and let me shoot his S&W 500. Never in my life have I experienced something like that. Rifles don' thave that kind of kick. Shotguns don't have that sort of blast. Heck, 240s don't leave my ears ringing that much. I could feel the recoil in my chest and watched a flame exit the barrel and keep going for about 3 feet. The 12 guage shotgunners at the end of the range stopped shooting and had a WTF was that look on their face.

After that . . . recoil from 10mm Auto really wasn't a problem.

I agree anticipating the recoil is one of the biggest hurdles to get over when shooting at the range. A lot of folks never get over it. It's a big problem with shooting a 45, and even some 9mm's. The FN familiy of weapons are designed so the weapon itelf absorbs a lot of the recoil. It's like shooting a much more expensive weapon.

The only problem for a newbie is. If your first gun is an FN, you'll never know how special it is, cause you'll expect all guns to be as cool; and they aren't.

I want to shoot a Taurus Model 44. It shoots .45 and .410. It looks bad-ass.

Also for new gun owners, it seems rather practical for self-defense. Shoot the .410 shotgun shells until you're acurate shooting a .45 round.

Ironically enough I have a customer that works here http://fnmfg.com/ and I have been thinking of applying my self. always good to stay local

You know. If FN weapons are good enough for Star Gate Command, they should be good enough for you too. I think the mother company is from Belguim.

I have my grandfather's old as dirt Taurus Pt 92 as my main firearm at the moment, really easy to strip and clean and Ive never had any jams or stovepipes in the year and a half I've owned it.

I've only ever considered buying two handguns.

One was a .50 caliber with a 4" barrel by Smith and Wesson specifically designed for stopping a brown bear. I decided on the pepper spray after talking to experts.

The other is a Kel-Tec micro .380. It's extremely light. About 10 oz fully loaded.

kel_p3at.jpg

The Desert Eagle should be everyones first pistol(if you can call it one!).

Compared to a Glock 9mm

Desert_Eagle640x480.jpg

While some accuracy is the weapon, it is mainly the person. I am always accurate with my groupings once I get to know how that weapon shoots after a few rounds. Even with my crappy M9 that has been abused from soldier to soldier over who knows how many years.

One other thing to point out, just because one person is comfy with a certain weapon it may not be for you. As most have said, try before you buy. <<<< This can't be stressed enough.

Archived