Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking of getting a Firearm, looking for info

gutlead74

My only suggestion would be to look at revolvers also. Just for the simple fact of less moving parts to cause a jam or a missfire. you purt the bullets in and shoot, no clip to worry about.

It also depends on what you want on for. Go to a range and shoot a bunch of different guns and the see what feels best for you, and fits your needs. Dont just pick one because it looks cool. Take your time.

How about this then, dont get hung up one because of its name. :D

Fair enough,personally I prefer the 45 combat commander..it fits well

I'll use a Glock,but don't particularly like them(but I also don't wear one)

All depends on what you use/need it for.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

I have been doing some research, I am thinking of getting a fire arm. I think I have settled on the Glock G20, I am coming from some ignorance so I would like some advice.

Glocks are fine guns. They're relatively cheap 500 $ is compared to $1000+ for other comparable weapons. They're rugged, and they're very reliable even for folks who don't clean them all that often. All good things especially for a new gun owner.

On the negative side for Glocks. They aren't particularly known for their accuracy as much for their reliability and ruggedness. Other than accuracy, my #1 problem with the Glock is in it's design. When you are breaking it down for cleaning you actually have to fire the weapon and pull the trigger in order to take the slide off. For folks who don't know much about firearms that's how you shoot yourself. When you hear about folks shooting them selves or others while cleaning their weapons as often as not, it's a Glock.

IF I were you I would definitely take an NRA safty class and make sure you know that when you pull the clip out of the weapon that doesn't mean it's unloaded. Not until you clear the chamber.

Good luck.

Fair enough,personally I prefer the 45 combat commander..it fits well

I'll use a Glock,but don't particularly like them(but I also don't wear one)

All depends on what you use/need it for.

There you go. Give me a 45. If I ever had to use a weapon for defense I would hope I had my 45 with me not my Glock. 45s are significantly more expensive than Glocks, ( both in purchasing the weapon and for the cartridges) and they're harder to shoot well for beginners because of the recoil, but 45s are more accurate, safer, and have significantly more stopping power than 9mms. And Glocks are not as accurate as other 9mm's in my opinion.

Glocks are rugged, reliable and inexpensive, if that's what you are looking for by all means get a Glock.

Anyone getting a gun needs to check out this site:

http://www.gundirectory.com/

It list about Every gun, it's Price, its pros and cons, and user ratings.

I used it when I got my guns. Glocks are great, but you have to understand that there is not a conventional safety on them, it will file if you squeeze the trigger. Most other guns have safety that you can press to prevent the trigger from being pulled by accident.

+1 on shooting a weapon before you purchase one, I would try revolvers like the Ruger SP101 and the J frame Smith and Wesson models. When it comes to semi automatics don't get too hung up on the Glock, the Springfiel XD series is all of what the Glock is plus it has a grip safety or you can get it with the thumb safety, so you can't pull a Plaxico, I have two on in .40 and one in .45, thousands of rounds through them with no ftf, fine weapons. In the end it comes down to what feels right, good luck in your search.

Agree with other posters, try it out first. I have never shot a 10mm, just 38 revolver, 9mm, 40 and 45. Out of all I liked the 40 and 38 revolver the best. Go to a range and try 'em out. Also try out different manufacturers. If I were to buy tomorrow I would go with a Walther P99 40 cal. It is about comfortness when shooting.

Springfiel XD series is all of what the Glock is plus it has a grip safety or you can get it with the thumb safety, so you can't pull a Plaxico

That brings up an interesting point. A lot of modern guns like Glocks don't have the type of safety's that lock the trigger and firing mechanism. What gun safety means today is, the gun won't go off if you drop it or hit it when it's ****ed. You actually have to pull the trigger.That's the case even for modern revolvers. How exactly did Plexico shoot himself? What kind of gun did he have and how stupid was he to put such a gun in his pants without a holster.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

I have been doing some research, I am thinking of getting a fire arm. I think I have settled on the Glock G20, I am coming from some ignorance so I would like some advice.

I wouldn't recommend a Glock 20 for your first firearm. Honestly, the ammo will be expensive and its pretty rare/exotic. I usually order mine, because most of the 10mm Auto ammo you buy is "watered down"

There you go. Give me a 45. If I ever had to use a weapon for defense I would hope I had my 45 with me not my Glock. 45s are significantly more expensive than Glocks, ( both in purchasing the weapon and for the cartridges) and they're harder to shoot well for beginners because of the recoil, but 45s are more accurate, safer, and have significantly more stopping power than 9mms. And Glocks are not as accurate as other 9mm's in my opinion.

Glocks are rugged, reliable and inexpensive, if that's what you are looking for by all means get a Glock.

Ummm . . . Glock makes hand guns in .45 ACP. Thats kind of the beauty of Glocks. They have the same frame, but there are multiple calibers available.

Rugged, reliable and inexpensive . . . are these bad things? Sounds like its exactly what he needs. Sounds like what everybody needs in a gun. I don't see how that is a downside.

Accuracy? What do you base this claim on? Sounds ignorant to me. Actually, it sounds like you're either a 1911 snob, or hang out with them and regurgitate their garbage. Its as accurate as any other handgun. Will you be shooting a squirrel in the left nut at 50 yards? Probably not. Can you, reliably, make head shots at 15 yards? Yes.

Modern 9mm hollow points will do more than enough damage to put someone down for the count.

Buying a gun, especially a handgun, is all about your comfort level with the gun. If you're more comfortable with a Glock than a 1911 or a USP, then by all means, buy the Glock (so long as you were using proper grip/technique when shooting).

Archived