Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When was the last time you cried out of happiness?

Springfield

As I was watching Slumdog Millionaire tonight, the thought of this thread occurred to me. I didn't cry during this movie, but there was a moment when I was so happy during it that I had a huge smile on my face and I thought about crying.

Soon enough, it occurred to me that I hadn't cried at anything that was happy in a very long time. I find it much easier to cry about something that makes me sad. Crying about happiness seems like a much bigger deal. It seems to me that crying about something happy is a very rare circumstance. I'm sure that I will get plenty of responses from people about the birth of their children. I don't have any kids, one day I hope to have some of my own. I'm sure I will cry when that happens.

The real question is:

When was the last time you cried out of happiness (Tears of Joy)?

Don't know really know, I actually don't think I've ever cried out of happiness.

The closest thing is when I cried giving my farewell speech to our softball girls after our game Thursday. Totally out of the freaking blue. I was fine until the head coach turned to me and was like "Katie, you have anything to add?" Um yeah, "whaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I'm so proud of your girls... whaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I won't be back next year to help. Whaaaaaaaa!!!! I love you girls, you have such a great future ahead of you....whaaaaaaaa!! I'm so blessed to have been able to help you and watch you progress these past 2 years...whaaaaaaaaa!!!"

I think those are seriously the only tears of happiness I've ever had. I've never cried at weddings, not even my sister's. But these were definitely tears of sadness (that I would be leaving them and not be back next year) and happiness (knowing that the senior girls who have become like my little sisters are going onto college, something so exciting and new for them, something I am so excited for them to be able to experience).

Holy crap, when did I turn into a sap like this?

Man doesn't cry.

You know who cries? My wife cries.

Another step in the pussification of society. It is acceptable for a man to tear up during a movie in public.

What would John Wayne say? Bunch of nancys.

Oh STFU. That's such ridiculous crap. :rolleyes:

I'll admit, I have only seen my dad cry twice, my older brother cry a few times, and I've never seen my fiance cry, but I would NEVER think less of them for crying over some of the crap they've been through.

This whole "guys can't cry" mentality is crap. Sure, I would hope guys don't cry 24/7, just like I would hope girls don't cry 24/7, but seeing a guy cry shows me they are human. I would never lose respect for that.

Another step in the pussification of society. It is acceptable for a man to tear up during a movie in public.

And why isn't it OK for a man to tear up during a movie in public? Not that I ever do it, but damn, what is wrong with that?

If it is OK for Westbrook36 to start a twitter account then it is OK for men to tear up during movies.

If it is OK for Westbrook36 to start a twitter account then it is OK for men to tear up during movies.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Seriously, when the men in my life start Twitter accounts, that's when they get the boot...even my damn dad! lol

Don't know really know, I actually don't think I've ever cried out of happiness.

The closest thing is when I cried giving my farewell speech to our softball girls after our game Thursday. Totally out of the freaking blue. I was fine until the head coach turned to me and was like "Katie, you have anything to add?" Um yeah, "whaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I'm so proud of your girls... whaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I won't be back next year to help. Whaaaaaaaa!!!! I love you girls, you have such a great future ahead of you....whaaaaaaaa!! I'm so blessed to have been able to help you and watch you progress these past 2 years...whaaaaaaaaa!!!"

It seems to me that you would have cried at that function more because you wouldn't be back to see them play again than you cried because they weren't coming back.

It could go either way, but my feeling about the who situation is that you either cry because of sadness (usually) or happiness. It can't be both.

Oh STFU. That's such ridiculous crap. :rolleyes:

I'll admit, I have only seen my dad cry twice, my older brother cry a few times, and I've never seen my fiance cry, but I would NEVER think less of them for crying over some of the crap they've been through.

This whole "guys can't cry" mentality is crap. Sure, I would hope guys don't cry 24/7, just like I would hope girls don't cry 24/7, but seeing a guy cry shows me they are human. I would never lose respect for that.

I agree. I laugh at these guys that think they're too tough to cry when I think of old leathernecks that still cry when telling stories of WWII.

John Wayne my ass. An actor? How about the millions of troops who's names you don't know that have cried their guts out from seeing their friends die right next to them?

Forget the pussification of America, it's more like the delusion of "hardcore men" in America. Get over yourself.

It seems to me that you would have cried at that function more because you wouldn't be back to see them play again than you cried because they weren't coming back.

It could go either way, but my feeling about the who situation is that you either cry because of sadness (usually) or happiness. It can't be both.

No, it was both. I was crying because I wasn't coming back next year AND because the seniors (who I've become very close with) weren't going to be back. I was also crying as I told the freshman girls (we had no sophomores or juniors on the team, oddly enough) how proud I was of progress they'd made...I was truly happy to tell them how much they'd progressed through the season. The head coach (my college teammate who is a teacher at the school and will continue to be the head coach next year) cried a bit too during our final speeches. We talked about it afterward and realized that we'd had so much pent-up anxiety over the months and years we've been working with these girls we both had a breaking point at the end where we had to let it all out, the happiness and the sadness. Everything. It's weird, I have never cried like that before. But I can honestly say it was both....although I would agree it leaned more toward sadness that I wouldn't be back next year, but I was also truly happy for how far the girls had made it this year, farther than any team in school history, and at the end, when we all looked back at our season, I was damn proud of our girls and happy for them. Even if I was coming back next year, I would've cried.

The last time was when my son was born and before that when my daughter was born. Those moments give you an unexplained feeling of happiness that evokes tears.

A very special emotion.

Awww, that's so good to hear. I love to hear daddies talk about how much that day means to them :)

I agree. I laugh at these guys that think they're too tough to cry when I think of old leathernecks that still cry when telling stories of WWII.

John Wayne my ass. An actor? How about the millions of troops who's names you don't know that have cried their guts out from seeing their friends die right next to them?

Forget the pussification of America, it's more like the delusion of "hardcore men" in America. Get over yourself.

No offense but it seems to me that you are strictly talking about crying because of sadness. Not that there is anything wrong with crying out of sadness, I've done it many times recently. Crying for a fallen soldier would certainly be considered sad in my mind.

That can be a good, relieving type of sentiment, but isn't usually happy to me.

Just saying.

No, it was both. I was crying because I wasn't coming back next year AND because the seniors (who I've become very close with) weren't going to be back. I was also crying as I told the freshman girls (we had no sophomores or juniors on the team, oddly enough) how proud I was of progress they'd made...I was truly happy to tell them how much they'd progressed through the season. The head coach (my college teammate who is a teacher at the school and will continue to be the head coach next year) cried a bit too during our final speeches. We talked about it afterward and realized that we'd had so much pent-up anxiety over the months and years we've been working with these girls we both had a breaking point at the end where we had to let it all out, the happiness and the sadness. Everything. It's weird, I have never cried like that before. But I can honestly say it was both....although I would agree it leaned more toward sadness that I wouldn't be back next year, but I was also truly happy for how far the girls had made it this year, farther than any team in school history, and at the end, when we all looked back at our season, I was damn proud of our girls and happy for them. Even if I was coming back next year, I would've cried.

Bingo! :)

I can't claim to know how women's emotions work but you did have a little bit of insight in your statement. It could certainly be that you felt both sadness and happiness, but my impression is that you were more sad than you were happy. Sadness usually shows much more in reflection. Reflecting on your team's trials and tribulations throughout the season would probably bring a moment of reflection and sadness for what has already passed me by.

That's the way I am. I expect everyone to be slightly different.

The last time was when my son was born and before that when my daughter was born. Those moments give you an unexplained feeling of happiness that evokes tears.

A very special emotion.

Like I said in my OP... I expected results like this. I hope to feel this kind of thing eventually. It may truly be the next time I actually cry because I am happy.

Bingo! :)

I can't claim to know how women's emotions work but you did have a little bit of insight in your statement. It could certainly be that you felt both sadness and happiness, but my impression is that you were more sad than you were happy. Sadness usually shows much more in reflection. Reflecting on your team's trials and tribulations throughout the season would probably bring a moment of reflection and sadness for what has already passed me by.

That's the way I am. I expect everyone to be slightly different.

True, I think it was 60/40 sadness/happiness.

I guess the only time I've ever cried out of happiness is....never. I don't remember a time I've ever cried out of pure happiness. I don't think it's ever happened.

True, I think it was 60/40 sadness/happiness.

I guess the only time I've ever cried out of happiness is....never. I don't remember a time I've ever cried out of pure happiness. I don't think it's ever happened.

Not even at the end of The Lion King? That was pretty happy. :)

No offense but it seems to me that you are strictly talking about crying because of sadness. Not that there is anything wrong with crying out of sadness, I've done it many times recently. Crying for a fallen soldier would certainly be considered sad in my mind.

That can be a good, relieving type of sentiment, but isn't usually happy to me.

Just saying.

I was strictly referring to Westbrook36's comment that "man doesn't cry."

Many times. Especially in sports movies. I showed my students Cool Runnings last week and I had to stop myself from crying at the end when they picked up the bobsled and carried it through the finish line (I will NEVER cry in front of my students). I cry all the time.

Many times. Especially in sports movies. I showed my students Cool Runnings last week and I had to stop myself from crying at the end when they picked up the bobsled and carried it through the finish line (I will NEVER cry in front of my students). I cry all the time.

You shouldn't cry in front of students... or else they will never fear you! :)

I think I may have cried at the end of Cool Runnings when I was younger. That was a great movie. Come to speak of sports competitions, I may have had a small tear up during the Summer Olympics when Michael Phelps was going for the records. In particular, there was a Coldplay song that played during a Michael Phelps montage.

Not even at the end of The Lion King? That was pretty happy. :)
No way, the cub's mommy was still dead!!!

That's funny you bring that up; my friends and I were all talking about how much Disney movies SUCK with parents dying while we where playing a game of "Clue." Haha, CLue! I haven't played that game for at least 15 years! But yeah, "Lion King" was specifically mentioned in our general list of Disney movies that sucked and made us cry out of sadness when we were younger.

Archived