Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI's Best and Worst Owners

MattFancy

As I said, not a single person mentioned anything about us being interested in Orakpo and our efforts to move up to get him. Sanchez you heard a world about, and we weren't actually in those conversations. Difference, in case you were wondering is simply this. If Sanchez and Orakpo were available at the same moment our pick came up, we'd have taken Orakpo because he was the BPA in that.

Certainly Orakpo as well as a number of players we visited with were those known to be people we had interest in. What you didn't know is we were actually far more interested in Orakpo than Sanchez. Given you had no idea this was the case until you heard it from the team AFTER it was the case, it's likely true these guys aren't quite as dumb as you think they are.

:bsflag:

Interesting that you still say not a single person knew when I just pointed out that JLa knew. Just because he's persona non-grata to Snyder doesn't mean you get to pretend he doesn't exist. :) Nevermind about all those other articles as well.

Just answer one question for me. Which is more plausible, that we tried to move up to get Sanchez and didn't have enough ammo without a 2nd round pick and thus were happy to settle for Orakpo OR Dan orchestrated a "secret" plot to get another team to trade up for Sanchez secure in the knowlege that nobody else would take Orakpo? I know full well which is more plausible, but I also know how stubborn and unreasonable you are too. ;)

:bsflag:

Interesting that you still say not a single person knew when I just pointed out that JLa knew. Just because he's persona non-grata to Snyder doesn't mean you get to pretend he doesn't exist. :) Nevermind about all those other articles as well.

Just answer one question for me. Which is more plausible, that we tried to move up to get Sanchez and didn't have enough ammo without a 2nd round pick and thus were happy to settle for Orakpo OR Dan orchestrated a "secret" plot to get another team to trade up for Sanchez secure in the knowlege that nobody else would take Orakpo? I know full well which is more plausible, but I also know how stubborn and unreasonable you are too. ;)

And, again, not a single person knew we were interested in Orakpo and seeking to move up to get him. As I said, and as was clear from JLa and everyone else, every player we met with who also fit a position of need was someone we might be interested in selecting if they were available at our pick. I believe JLa's last guess was someone from Florida State. That level of interest was well understood from the fact we met with these people openly without any secrets.

What I'm saying, and what I imagine you grasp yet are refusing to actually address, is not a single person in the world knew we were interested in Orakpo and seeking to move up to get him. Everyone spoke of us doing this for Sanchez, but no one actually knew we ACTUALLY did that for Orakpo. The fact is we never attempted to move up to get Sanchez. We did attempt to move up, to get Orakpo, who was higher on our board than Sanchez.

As I already said, and suspect you know, but will not actually pay attention to, it wasn't just Orakpo we liked. It was Orakpo and a couple others. In order to get them to fall, we needed to get Sanchez taken, because if he wasn't taken, HE would have fallen. And, frankly, if the guys we liked more were gone, we'd have taken him most likely, or traded out.

Two reasons for that, the first being brevity. The second was that Art implied that Snyder had some super secret master plan by saying not a single person anywhere had any idea we were interested in Orakpo. Therefore all it took was proof one person did know about it. However, there were more. Just google "Redskins interested in Orakpo" and you'll see the Times and other media outlets ran similar stories and not just the "they need help at DE so he's one of the guys they'd be interested in" type stories. These stories all state or imply that we were targeting the guy.

Well, I'm not going to defend Art's position, since people did know we had some interest in Orakpo going back to the combine. On the other side, half the writers out there were convinced that we were in the market for trading for Sanchez. In that, a lot of other names got lost in the shuffle, including Orakpo's.

JLC didn't even report about the Orakpo visit for a good week or more, while Sanchez was front page news. Personally, I thought it was very curious that a lot about his visit was very public, including the dinner where everyone even knew what they all ordered.

Again, these guys aren't as smart as you give them credit for. If it were me I'd have made sure there were at least 5 or 7 other players that we had a documented interest in. After all, we have a boatload of needs. If we'd done that, Sanchez might have been there at 13.

I think the only interest the Redskins had in Sanchez was if they couldn't get any of their other guys and he happened to be sitting there. I think they were interested, but not THAT interested.

That being said, there were plenty of other players that they did have an interest in. Those players visited Redskins Park and it wasn't a secret. Despite all that, the media was hyperfocused on Sanchez.

Sorry but it seems to me that every time Dan gets wood for a guy, everybody knows it.

And every time it is reported, it ends up that we don't draft that guy. I figured fans would have learned that by now.

Not speculation at all. If Sanchez did not go early, the players we coveted would have gone instead.

It's not pure speculation that if Sanchez did not go earlier Orakpo or another prize might not have fallen to us. It's pure speculation to assert that our decision makers feigned interest in Sanchez to bait the move by the Jets.

It's possible, but there is no evidence at all to support the notion.

Not speculation at all. If Sanchez did not go early, the players we coveted would have gone instead.

How is that not speculation.

This isn't binary. There are 32 teams and 7 rounds of picks. Anybody could have gone instead. Look at who the Raiders selected.

It's not pure speculation that if Sanchez did not go earlier Orakpo or another prize might not have fallen to us. It's pure speculation to assert that our decision makers feigned interest in Sanchez to bait the move by the Jets.

It's possible, but there is no evidence at all to support the notion.

There is some evidence. Orakpo was higher on our board than Sanchez. We ACTUALLY called several teams to move UP for Orakpo, we NEVER called ANY team to move up for Sanchez. Now, that MAY have been because Sanchez went SO early. Remember, most people thought he'd fall to No. 8. There was a ton of pre-draft noise that we were hot for Sanchez, and, undoubtedly we liked him as many teams did. Teams like the Rams fell in love with him too. They just didn't pick him.

As Yusuf points out, it always seems the guys Snyder has wood for are guys the world knows about, but, as Longshot says, it's weird we never actually get those guys, isn't it? In the case of Sanchez and Orakpo, we actually preferred Orakpo, wanted him and tried to get him on draft day. We didn't do that for Sanchez. We probably knew we couldn't move up to the Top 5 to get him without more picks as well, so No. 8 might have been the highest we could have moved in any case.

Given how impulsive some here think Snyder is, isn't it at all strange the guys he can't live without are guys we're not getting? He could have gotten Cutler or Sanchez if he wanted them that badly by simply, gasp, overpaying.

How is that not speculation.

This isn't binary. There are 32 teams and 7 rounds of picks. Anybody could have gone instead. Look at who the Raiders selected.

If Sanchez isn't gone at No. 5, Orakpo is gone at No. 5 or No. 10 depending on Cleveland's rating. The Raiders also helped the equation. Had they not picked the wrong receiver, the Niners were likely to go defensive end or offensive tackle themselves. We did not covet Sanchez. We liked him. We coveted a few players. DE, DT, OT, WR. We had specific guys there we wanted to fall to No. 13, or fall far enough so we'd have a chance to move up a little to get them. That needed Sanchez to go early. The OTs were gone quick. The DT we liked was gone. The receiver we liked was gone. The end we liked was there. He wouldn't have been had Sanchez not been.

Archived