Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Wilcots Chat, Redskins tidbit

bubba9497

http://www.nfl.com/

Click link for entire article

Uy , Norther Virginia

Do you think the Redskin's O line have the necessary guy and talent to help Jason Campell succeed?

Solomon Wilcots, NFL Network

Pass protection wasn't a problem and it still isn't. I don't know if he has enough talent around him to make plays with the short passing game. I would've thought Randle-El and Moss could do that and I love Chris Cooley. But the weapons around him in the passing game have to respond better, more than anything else.

And Solomon watched which offensive line last year?

early season our protection was good, late not so much. early JC was great late not so much....hummmm you might be on to something. I just hope we can mold the cast offs into something cohesive

He must not have watched the games last year.

At least not games 9-16. Campbell couldn't drop back without someone in his face immediately.

The Steelers really exposed something about our O-line and other teams went right at it. I think our opponents began running lots of stunts and overloading the right side where our RTs were considerably poor as the season went on.

At least not games 9-16. Campbell couldn't drop back without someone in his face immediately.

The Steelers really exposed something about our O-line and other teams went right at it. I think our opponents began running lots of stunts and overloading the right side where our RTs were considerably poor as the season went on.

7 sacks on Campbell that game. I just re-watched it. A couple were overloads where a guy would just come totally free. And a couple were Jansen just getting whooped. JC held the ball and took one really bad sack right on the sideline.

Overall JC did an excellent job getting the ball out quickly at the top of his drop. I expected the opposite before re-watching. The bad news is that a lot of those quick reads and throws could have been completed but were too high or out of reach. Like the tipped pass off of CP that ended up JC's first int. for the season.

Kornheiser made a comment that JC was now, under Zorn, allowed to read the entire field. Previously, Saunders would only allow for JC to read half the field on a given play. Instantly reminded me of the recent comments my Holmgren, that JC was being asked to do more than a Qb like Flacco.

If Solomon Wilcots, really believes that then is he robbing the NFL network for a paycheck.

Anyone who knows anything about football, and knows how to watch tape will be quick to point out that majority of the struggles came from the O-line wearing down the stretch.

When you have a Top 5 defense, which in my personel opinion played better down the stretch then they did in the previous 8 games you usually don't wind up with an 8-8 football team.

And Solomon watched which offensive line last year?

The one that won the Super Bowl. He's right. We don't have enough weapons, or at least enough contributors, but many put too much emphasis and point to the O line as the main culprit of our non-productive offensive woes. I think that the whole unit has to come together and get better, and it starts with the qb play and the people around him. So many questions, so little answers.

BTW

LET'S GO CAPS!!!! :evilg:

While I don't completely agree with the pass protection argument (there never seemed to be that much time for deeper routes) I do think that the receivers that we did have weren't able to help out Campbell. Campbell also had issues getting the ball accurately sometimes as well, but I can't help thinking there were times that a bigger body who could go up and get some of those passes would have helped.

7 sacks on Campbell that game. I just re-watched it. A couple were overloads where a guy would just come totally free. And a couple were Jansen just getting whooped. JC held the ball and took one really bad sack right on the sideline.

Add to 7 sacks, 3 hurries and 6 times hit while throwing. And that was with 9 minutes left in the game. Sacks don't always paint the entire picture.

Wilcots is another example of the national sports media not knowing a thing about what is really going on with individual teams.

This has to be the case if he thinks pass protection was good last year. Of course, sometimes we as fans of an individual team get too close and can't see the forest for the trees.

While he's definitely wrong on his main point, this may have some truth to it.

If our young WRs/#2 TE could step up they may be able to hide some deficiencies within the line.

:cool2:

Good point.

Hilarious how Wilcot sentiment can change on a dime!

I mean just the the other day, Wilcot is da man around here for laughing at the Colt Brennan caller and now, today, Wilcot knows nutthin':hysterical:

He doesn't seem to know much about our O-line for sure. He seems to know his stuff most of the time, but he fumbled the question in question - or at least the answer to it.

Don't anybody kid themselves. A lot of those sacks has to do with Jason Campbell. He was slow on the reads and not quick enough to figure out where everybody was and who he should go to. Thats where experience comes in...and thats where a 2nd year in the SAME system will help him.

I doubt that we are the only ones who can go over the Pittsburg game tape and look at the problems. I am sure Campbell has reviewed that tape more than once with Zorn and the other coaches. If they haven't done that, then I am wrong and the Skins will finish 4-12 and dead last in the NFC east. But I believe that a WHOLE LOT OF LEARNIN' has gone on in the offseason for Jason Campbell, as well as for his receivers who have to bear some responsibility for dropped passes, poorly run routes, and missed blocks on running plays. Its a TEAM effort and having the same team in the same offense for TWO years in a row will help a great deal. I am still looking for the Skins to prove me right and go 12-4 or 13-3 and winning the division this coming season...with the Cowboys falling apart and coming in dead last.

I doubt that we are the only ones who can go over the Pittsburg game tape and look at the problems. I am sure Campbell has reviewed that tape more than once with Zorn and the other coaches... But I believe that a WHOLE LOT OF LEARNIN' has gone on in the offseason for Jason Campbell, as well as for his receivers who have to bear some responsibility for dropped passes, poorly run routes, and missed blocks on running plays.

That game in particular showed all of the offense's weaknesses. You're right about every one of your examples of screw-ups. Our guys were over-matched against the Steelers big-time.

People are talking about the Steelers game like the line was in perfect health just exposed ....

No-one has mentioned Chis Samuels was limited going into the game and then knocked out of it late on . We had for at least one series a back up rookie guard/center lining up at LT because Heyer was subbing in for the injured Jon Jansen ...

Some people hate on all things skins related but Samuels is a top 5 player at his possition, with Pace and Ogden constantly injured, maybe the top LT in the league and the loss of such a player cannot be understated, though is being totally ignored in all this talk about the collapse at the end of the year .

With Samuels comming back, Bridges coming in, Williams will hopefully be able to contribute something and I am sure we will pick up some more OT before camp for depth then .... Okay its not fixed but should be better than week 9 onwards ... I would not be supprised to see at least two new starters on the OL this season ..

Pass pro wasn't a problem and still isn't...okay. So his getting sacked 22 times in the last 8 games, nearly 3 sacks a clip, wasn't a problem.

That's true, if you give up 3 sacks a game, no way you can go, say 11-5, be the 3rd highest scoring team in the league, pass for over 3,000 yards and rush for almost 2,300. Can't happen.

That's true, if you give up 3 sacks a game, no way you can go, say 11-5, be the 3rd highest scoring team in the league, pass for over 3,000 yards and rush for almost 2,300. Can't happen.

*Sarcasm Alert* *Sarcasm Alert* *Sarcasm Alert*

Steelers, I'm assuming?

Funny. He doesn't think the line is a problem, loves Cooley and can't figure out why Moss and ARE can't help in the passing game. Why is it, do you think, he couldn't quite put his finger on the problem being Campbell first and anything else after that. It's weird seeing people so afraid to acknowledge the key issue with our team for decades has been QB play. It still is.

While I tend to agree if we had 44 Pro Bowl players around Campbell that he would be fine, the OTHER solution to getting 44 Pro Bowl players to make the QB better is to get a QB who makes the other guys better. It's almost radical.

Archived