Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

White House Correspondence Dinner Video (Obama & Wanda Sykes)

Duckus

Who do you draft with the first overall pick?  

272 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you draft with the first overall pick?

• Brian Mitchell
    • Clinton Portis
    • Neither, trade down for more picks

None of you were screaming foul when McCain were rallying crowds up calling him a terrorist. In fact, yal were the ones saying "free speech". So don't come now acting like you're all offended.

I think you're wrong on McCain.

I didn't watch it on TV, I have read excerpts and seen brief snippets on the news but I didn't watch the whole thing. I honestly don't know what I said in my post that needed me to sit down and watch it to say what I said.

Bottom line, the President should be held to higher standards and shouldn't be seen publicly enjoying, laughing or whatever you want to call it, when someone is wishing another americans kidneys would fail. It's unprofessional and tasteless.

So you watched and suddenly you're qualified? I guess you watch the Redskins play football so you should go coach. ;)

Sykes isn't a brilliant comedian, most of the time she's not really funny, but she has a funny sounding voice and a good delivery.

Its not what she said, its how she said it.

Thats exactly what it does.

How many times do people have to say that he didn't plan the night. So the eff what if he thought it was funny. He's got the right to find it funny too. Just like you've got the right not to vote for him. Its not like you were gonna vote for him anyway.

Limbaugh being a douchebad doesn't justify the comments. But they show how fake the outrage is. None of you who are screaming foul now were screaming this when Limbaugh was calling Obama a terrorist. None of you were screaming foul when McCain were rallying crowds up calling him a terrorist. In fact, yal were the ones saying "free speech". So don't come now acting like you're all offended.

It depends on the delivery. Its all in the delivery.

I got pretty pissed at Michael Richards's rant. But when Southpark decided to have an epidode where Randy said the same word, I laughed.

Maybe he didn't plan it but by God if I was POTUS I would do my homework and know who the comedian was and what they were planning to say before I put myself in an awkward situation. I guess he used the same judgement that found it smart to sit in the congregation of his Church back in Chicago.

Ya'll didn't do anything. Ya'll has never liked Limbaugh or his pointless ranting, he's the white Jesse Jackson. Limbaugh and McCain isn't the POTUS. Ya'll never uses the "free speech" card. I'm in the military and we're not allowed to speak freely. You have to choose your words wisely, I got smacked on the pee pee plenty when I was a young Airmen for opening my mouth when I shouldn't. Looking back, everytime it got smacked was because I said something stupid.

The First Amendement that the mediots hide behind is one of the reasons this country is in a downward spiral. It's their duty to report this and that, but it's not their duty to report the truth; just their version of it. Nevermind that they're pushing a biased agenda, FIRST AMENDMENT BABY! Whoooooooooooo!

People should think before they speak and should be held responsible for their words isntead of hiding behind the First Amendment. Speaking of the constitution, why is it so many Americans pick and choose which amendments to follow? Anything to fit their agenda.

Delivery? Dilevery and when and where it's said.

not outraged, however I find it pathetic.

The last time I checked Christians didnt find humor in wishing death upon another human.

Who said he found humor in it? You appear to be jumping to conclusions based on your hatred of Obama.

I think you're wrong on McCain.

McCain got a lot of press for his "Obama is not an Arab" comment, but he stood silently as many called Obama terrorist at his rallys.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=mccain+obama+terrorist&emb=0&aq=f#

And lets not forget Palin and how she tried to call Obama a terrorist, and all the uproar She, Hillary, Limbaugh and a lot of others tried to stir up because he was on a board with Bill Ayers.

Maybe he didn't plan it but by God if I was POTUS I would do my homework and know who the comedian was and what they were planning to say before I put myself in an awkward situation. I guess he used the same judgement that found it smart to sit in the congregation of his Church back in Chicago.

Pathetic, ZoEd. Really, just pathetic. And all the others bashing Obama for, what? Sykes told a tastless joke. Obama smiled uncomfortably. Now he's supposed to have script approval for speakers at the Correspondent's dinner before he'll attend? Please.

What course of action would you consider most appropriate for Obama to take in this situation?

Like I said in my other post, don't put yourself in that situation. Make sure your people do due dilligence and prevent the scrutiny. He is the POTUS, you think he doesn't have any say so in who is speaking and what they're saying? Seriously, thinking he doesn't is as silly as thinking he didn't know his plane was going to fly over NY for a photo op. Oh yea, he didn't know I almost forgot. :doh:

Ya'll didn't do anything. Ya'll has never liked Limbaugh or his pointless ranting, he's the white Jesse Jackson. Limbaugh and McCain isn't the POTUS. Ya'll never uses the "free speech" card. I'm in the military and we're not allowed to speak freely. You have to choose your words wisely, I got smacked on the pee pee plenty when I was a young Airmen for opening my mouth when I shouldn't. Looking back, everytime it got smacked was because I said something stupid.

The First Amendement that the mediots hide behind is one of the reasons this country is in a downward spiral. It's their duty to report this and that, but it's not their duty to report the truth; just their version of it. Nevermind that they're pushing a biased agenda, FIRST AMENDMENT BABY! Whoooooooooooo!

People should think before they speak and should be held responsible for their words isntead of hiding behind the First Amendment. Speaking of the constitution, why is it so many Americans pick and choose which amendments to follow? Anything to fit their agenda.

Delivery? Dilevery and when and where it's said.

Aye, if we disagree on the first amendment, then we'll just have to leave it at that. I respect the military and understand that you operate by different rules, but one of the things that separates us from other countries is that first amendment (its why Mike Savage can't go to Britan, cause they don't have a first amendment).

And as far as the president knowing what Wanda was going to say. I'd think you (being somebody in the military) would want the president to be more concerned with more important things (like protecting this country). Wanda making a joke about Limbaugh or 9/11 may be distasteful or non-funny, but its hardly a threat to the security of the US. So I don't want Obama in a "1984" type mode where he's more concerned with controlling our thoughts than protecting our bodies.

Yeah, it'd be nice if everybody thought before they spoke, but what if they don't? And who do you trust to draw the line between what's acceptable and what's not? I remember when I got into trouble for saying "Socrates was stupid". I believe that and can defend it. But to an average listener, it may sound pretty stupid.

"Think before you speak" is a nice idea, but its moreso just a tagline used by people who disagree as a means to belittle their opponent.

Who said he found humor in it? You appear to be jumping to conclusions based on your hatred of Obama.

Did you watch the video, maybe he didn't outright laugh at the kidney failure joke, he at the very minimum smiled and found humor in it.

If someone tells an abortion joke I don't laugh, do you? If someone tells a racist joke do you laugh or smile? What is your usual response? All I am saying is, The man is the President of the United States, he should act that way.

If I can stare at someone without a smile if they tell a racist joke, Obama should be able to give the same response when someone cracks a 9-11 or I hope Rush Limbaugh dies joke. Again, I don't care what you find humor in, I could care less if you told racist jokes, OUR President, needs to pay closer attention to what he is doing.

That was another good line from Obama.

"Michelle's here tonight. Malia and Sasha are grounded though. I told them they can NOT take Air Force One on a joy ride over Manhattan, no matter who's children they are."

Pathetic, ZoEd. Really, just pathetic. And all the others bashing Obama for, what? Sykes told a tastless joke. Obama smiled uncomfortably. Now he's supposed to have script approval for speakers at the Correspondent's dinner before he'll attend? Please.

It's not pathetic Dan. You're acting like the POTUS is an average citizen. When you get to that level every thing you do is scrutinized and you should take precautions to avoid finding yourself in an uncomfortable situation. Plain and simple. You're damn right he should know who's talking and what they intend to say because if he doesn't he's going to be seen as condoning it. Pretty simple actually. Anytime a General goes somewhere to speak his Exec damn well knows who else is speaking and the jist of what's being said.

Like I've said over and over, higher standard Dan, higher standard. He's in a fish bowl and everybody is watching. He's not a normal citizen any more.

Did you watch the video, maybe he didn't outright laugh at the kidney failure joke, he at the very minimum smiled and found humor in it.

If someone tells an abortion joke I don't laugh, do you? If someone tells a racist joke do you laugh or smile? What is your usual response? All I am saying is, The man is the President of the United States, he should act that way.

If I can stare at someone without a smile if they tell a racist joke, Obama should be able to give the same response when someone cracks a 9-11 or I hope Rush Limbaugh dies joke. Again, I don't care what you find humor in, I could care less if you told racist jokes, OUR President, needs to pay closer attention to what he is doing.

I described it as smiling uncomfortably. It was an awkward moment. Sykes went over the line and dropped that bombshell.

But what's funny is that he's being pilloried by you and others for that brief moment. He didn't put on his mad face fast enough for you. So now apparently he's disgraced the office of the President. It's laughable the outrage.

Aye, if we disagree on the first amendment, then we'll just have to leave it at that. I respect the military and understand that you operate by different rules, but one of the things that separates us from other countries is that first amendment (its why Mike Savage can't go to Britan, cause they don't have a first amendment).

And as far as the president knowing what Wanda was going to say. I'd think you (being somebody in the military) would want the president to be more concerned with more important things (like protecting this country). Wanda making a joke about Limbaugh or 9/11 may be distasteful or non-funny, but its hardly a threat to the security of the US. So I don't want Obama in a "1984" type mode where he's more concerned with controlling our thoughts than protecting our bodies.

Yeah, it'd be nice if everybody thought before they spoke, but what if they don't? And who do you trust to draw the line between what's acceptable and what's not? I remember when I got into trouble for saying "Socrates was stupid". I believe that and can defend it. But to an average listener, it may sound pretty stupid.

"Think before you speak" is a nice idea, but its moreso just a tagline used by people who disagree as a means to belittle their opponent.

I agree with the First Amendment, I just don't think it should give people a get out of jail free card for spewing ignorance and stupidity. I don't think a persons freedom should of speech should be supressed but people should be held accountable for what they say. There has to be a balance and people should simply think before they speak. Of course it's difficult to draw the line but when some ones freedom of speech jeopardizes the lives of americans then they should not only be suppressed but smacked up side the freaking head.

Think before you speak isn't a tagline for me brother, it's a way of life. My daughter is five and she's already being taught to think before she speaks. Not every thought that comes into your head needs to be vocalized.

As for Obama worrying about more important things, he doesn't have to worry; he's surrounded by flunkies who get paid to worry about these small details and they're obviously doing and outstanding job. Hence planes flying over NY.

I remember this time last year I was at a party - it was a friend's birthday. There were a bunch of ladies present and a few church guys. Ultimately the conversation turned to abortion (Political group of friends), and it was basically a women vs men thing, with me remaining silent. The situation grew tense and people were really getting heated. So I took the stage and told an abortion joke that sounded like a true story about an abortion. For about 3 mins, people were listening, almost about to cry cause my story was so deep. Then I told them I was just joking. Some people got offended, some laughed.

I was just making a joke. Some people defended me. Some didn't. All I was trying to do was lighten the mood. If an abortion joke isn't your cup of tea, then don't laugh. But don't get mad at another person for choosing to laugh. Or even if you do get mad, don't act like the act of laughing at an abortion joke implies that I've actually had an abortion. Thats part of the problem with this PC society, everything offends somebody so there's nothing we can say.

What if Obama thought it was funny? What if he's just got skin that thick? Is that whats going to be the ultimate deciding factor in whether you like him or not? George Bush didn't laugh at these jokes, but he did some effed up stuff to our country. Thats what makes me dislike George Bush. I honestly couldn't give a damn about Bush's or Obama's sense of humor.

It's not pathetic Dan. You're acting like the POTUS is an average citizen. When you get to that level every thing you do is scrutinized and you should take precautions to avoid finding yourself in an uncomfortable situation. Plain and simple. You're damn right he should know who's talking and what they intend to say because if he doesn't he's going to be seen as condoning it. Pretty simple actually. Anytime a General goes somewhere to speak his Exec damn well knows who else is speaking and the jist of what's being said.

Like I've said over and over, higher standard Dan, higher standard. He's in a fish bowl and everybody is watching. He's not a normal citizen any more.

Impossible standard, ZoEd, impossible standard. Do you really think ANY president has ever prescreened a guest speaker's address at the WH Correspondent's dinner in the past? And it was ONE line. It may even have been off the cuff from Sykes.

Like I said in my other post, don't put yourself in that situation. Make sure your people do due dilligence and prevent the scrutiny. He is the POTUS, you think he doesn't have any say so in who is speaking and what they're saying? Seriously, thinking he doesn't is as silly as thinking he didn't know his plane was going to fly over NY for a photo op. Oh yea, he didn't know I almost forgot. :doh:

Do you really believe that a President micromanages everything?

It seems like emotionally charged, over-the-top hyperbolic responses is becoming the order of the day, as far as some right-wingers are concerned.

not outraged, however I find it pathetic.

The last time I checked Christians didnt find humor in wishing death upon another human.

What? I hear supposed Christians do that all the time. Remember Ann Coulter and her "Kill their leaders and convert them" remark? All those hawkish Republicans with fantasies of bombing or nuking Iran, such as Rev. Hagee?

It's strange how violently some on the Right talk, but suddenly feign outrage and become the party of fluffy bunnies and rainbows over one lame joke.

What I find funny is the stereotyping the self proclaimed intellects throw around; right winger? I honestly don't care left or right, seems like the only people who do are the ones who's heads are so far up a political parties ass they rationalize their actions. If it were a repub sitting there smirking at the same tasteless joke you'd be shouting from the roof tops. It must be your supercalifragolisticexpeallidotious left wingedness blinding you from the obvious tastlessness of the joke and the PRECEPTION that Obama thought it was funny. (I can use big words too)

Preception, it's a biatch. Right, wrong or indifferent it always comes back to bite you in the ass. That's why when in leadership positions you have to take precautions to eliminate all the negative ones you can.

What I find funny is the stereotyping the self proclaimed intellects throw around; right winger? I honestly don't care left or right, seems like the only people who do are the ones who's heads are so far up a political parties ass they rationalize their actions. If it were a repub sitting there smirking at the same tasteless joke you'd be shouting from the roof tops. It must be your supercalifragolisticexpeallidotious left wingedness blinding you from the obvious tastlessness of the joke and the PRECEPTION that Obama thought it was funny. (I can use big words too)

Preception, it's a biatch. Right, wrong or indifferent it always comes back to bite you in the ass. That's why when in leadership positions you have to take precautions to eliminate all the negative ones you can.

I agree the joke was tasteless. What I'm having trouble following is how you and others are blaming Obama for it.

I agree the joke was tasteless. What I'm having trouble following is how you and others are blaming Obama for it.

I'm blaming him for allowing himself to be put in that situation. For giving the preception that it was funny. As a SNCO I've heard inappropriate jokes that are funny but I don't laugh about them because I'm supposed to be professional and I'm held to a higher standard.

Just last week we were having a First Sergeant Council meeting, nothing but SNCO/First Sergeants. A First Sgt was talking about having to go to a rough part of town to pick up some jersey's that were ordered for the council when a black femal MSgt looked at another Black male MSgt and said "hey Lex, you should go. Sounds like your people are down there". Funny to those that know Lex, is from Kingston Jamaica and it's pretty damn rough down there. Not funny due to the mixed company and the preception that "your people" could mean many different things. Although I thought it was slightly funny because I know Lex and know the other MSgt does too and meant nothing by it. However, due to the "professional" image and higher standards that First Sergeants are held to it was totally unappropriate and she was later pulled aside and told so. Although many of us thought it was funny, none of us laughed and you could have heard a pin drop.

A seasoned professional should have been able to control whatever response it was unless of course he thought it was funny which is extremely unprofessional.

When the people who are reacting fit into the political spectrum of "Right" or "right-wing," then it is totally appropriate to use the term in this case. It's not as if a bunch if independents are suddenly up-in-arms and defending Limbaugh.

Folks, including myself, has already said that the joke (Limbaugh-kidney) joke was tasteless, but that isn't enough, it would appear. Instead we have page after page of analyzing Obama -- "Is he laughing? Yes? No?" -- and claims of Christians never wishing death upon others.

We've already put up with on the Right smirking and making lame jokes. For some of us, that's the natural order of the day; something we've heard ad nauseum over the years. In fact, we've already had similar threads about this subject in the past, and yes, sometimes folks were indeed outraged.

George. W. Bush should understand this, after his attempt to make humor out of the administration's inability to find Iraq's WMDs.

Also, in the case of the folks displaying the most "outrage," they already despise Obama so do not think it really matters in the long run. They'll make hash out of every single issue, from mustard to Wanda Sykes.

Archived