Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

White House Correspondence Dinner Video (Obama & Wanda Sykes)

Duckus

Who do you draft with the first overall pick?  

272 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you draft with the first overall pick?

• Brian Mitchell
    • Clinton Portis
    • Neither, trade down for more picks

They weren't Bush's dinners. It wasn't Obama's dinner. It's the WHCA's dinner and they control the speakers and attendees. Stop the whining and feigned outrage. If you're really that offended over what the President did or didn't laugh at, you need to reconsider your priorities.

You're right - it's all in good fun. Forgive me if I disagree.

His Hillary gag was pretty darn funny too.

Here's one I thought was kind of inappropriate said by Bush himself... Remember his documentary about him searching for the WMD's

There's lots out there accusing and joking about Dems every which way... I never bookmarked them b/c they were just jokes. Some funny, some stupid, some offensive, some offensive and funny.

I thought that WMD bit was tasteless, too. Of course, Republicans, back at the time, defended the bit and accused liberals/left/democrats as being "humorless."

Why they thought it was funny, I have no idea. "Haha! Yes, he can't find what was the pretext for invading another country! Haha!"

Maybe someone can explain the sublime punchline to me, since I am clearly missing it.

Are you talking about the Drudge Report article that inaccurately posted a picture of Obama "laughing" at the Limbaugh-liver joke, when, in fact, he was laughing about Skyes' Bluetooth comment?

http://mediamatters.org/research/200905110028

Let's to stick to the facts, shall we? Right-wing sources aren't exactly known for their honesty when it comes to the current President.

Ummmm watch the video, he clearly laughs.

Ummmm watch the video, he clearly laughs.

Since when does a smile qualify as a laugh?

He laughed for a moment after the Oxycontin joke, but he smiled and looked around after the other joke.

How difficult is this really? Is this another "mustard" outrage?

You folks are ridiculous.

Where was Obama laughing at the liver joke?

Also, why are you folks behaving so indignantly when Limbaugh behaves in poor taste on a daily basis? The man is not exactly a sympathetic figure, and while the joke was a bit tasteless, Limbaugh thrives on his own reputation as being non-politically correct.

Sykes isn't funny, I didn't even hear her but I can't stand the sound of her voice so I couldn't sit through her terrible humor.

However, Limbaugh isn't President. He can say or act any way he wants. I'm not defending him, he's an idiot but Rush isn't held to the same standard as the POTUS.

Obama should be held to the highest of all standards, like any president should. Yes the president is a human being and should be able to make mistakes but from what I'm reading he acted in very poor taste. Rather it be a grin, smirk, smile or all out laughter; finding humor in someone having kidney failure or being called a terrorist just isn't funny.

When you become President you live in fish bowl and everything you do or say will be scrutinized and he should have enough sense to avoid being put into this situation. I agree with what another poster said in reference to Obama supposedly being a christian man and finding humor in a persons sickness, it's in really bad taste.

Obama was funny. Sykes was pretty funny, too, at times here and there. Sure, some of her remarks were a bit over-the-line, but, for Christ's sake, have you heard all of the crap that the right-wing has been spewing about Obama for a year?

Sorry, but it's all crocodile tears and faux outrage over a man, Rush Limbaugh, whose entire style is based upon classless, tasteless remarks.

I kinda feel the same.

for Christ's sake, Limbaugh's the same person who was calling OBAMA a terrorist this time last year, now Wanda can't call him one?

Certain things should be off limits and under no circumstance should be construed as satire - 9/11 being one of them. It was EXTREMELY inappropriate for President Obama to be seen laughing at such garbage. Sykes should have been shown the door immediately after spewing that crap and Obama should have been on point seeing to just that. I wonder how the parents of the class of toddlers felt that were on a field trip to NY on one of the doomed flights felt that fateful day after seeing that. It's inexcusable.

So I guess you don't believe in the first amendment?

Sykes isn't funny, I didn't even hear her but I can't stand the sound of her voice so I couldn't sit through her terrible humor.

However, Limbaugh isn't President. He can say or act any way he wants. I'm not defending him, he's an idiot but Rush isn't held to the same standard as the POTUS.

Obama should be held to the highest of all standards, like any president should. Yes the president is a human being and should be able to make mistakes but from what I'm reading he acted in very poor taste. Rather it be a grin, smirk, smile or all out laughter; finding humor in someone having kidney failure or being called a terrorist just isn't funny.

When you become President you live in fish bowl and everything you do or say will be scrutinized and he should have enough sense to avoid being put into this situation. I agree with what another poster said in reference to Obama supposedly being a christian man and finding humor in a persons sickness, it's in really bad taste.

So you didn't see Wanda Sykes speak. You didn't see the President's reaction. Yet you feel qualified to comment on this incident? :wtf:

Who cares what Rush has to say, hold OUR President to higher standards.

But its not OUR PRESIDENT who made the statements. The "controversial" statements were made by one private citizen about another private citizen. If you want the president to punish her for that then you're going against the freedom of speech.

So I guess you don't believe in the first amendment?

Why is it every time someone say's something stupid, tasteless or ignorant the first amendment is thrown out? Does the first amendment really give people the right to be ignorant?

On a stage at a comedy club this might be funny. Hell, I laugh my ass off at Maher but it's HBO. Why would the President, no matter who it is, want to be associated with stuff like this? It's just bad judgement. Time and a place for everything.

I also wonder why Limbaugh being a douchebag justifies the comments made at this particular event. Again, great stuff for a comedy club but something you know is going to be on every news outlet in the world and you're sitting there smiling at the tasteless humor as POTUS. Just not a smart move. The POUTS should be better than that.

I wonder if Dice Clay was up there making jokes wishing Jesse Jackson would get glaucoma be just as funny.

So you didn't see Wanda Sykes speak. You didn't see the President's reaction. Yet you feel qualified to comment on this incident? :wtf:

I didn't watch it on TV, I have read excerpts and seen brief snippets on the news but I didn't watch the whole thing. I honestly don't know what I said in my post that needed me to sit down and watch it to say what I said.

Bottom line, the President should be held to higher standards and shouldn't be seen publicly enjoying, laughing or whatever you want to call it, when someone is wishing another americans kidneys would fail. It's unprofessional and tasteless.

So you watched and suddenly you're qualified? I guess you watch the Redskins play football so you should go coach. ;)

Why is it every time someone say's something stupid, tasteless or ignorant the first amendment is thrown out? Does the first amendment really give people the right to be ignorant?

Thats exactly what it does.

On a stage at a comedy club this might be funny. Hell, I laugh my ass off at Maher but it's HBO. Why would the President, no matter who it is, want to be associated with stuff like this? It's just bad judgement. Time and a place for everything.

How many times do people have to say that he didn't plan the night. So the eff what if he thought it was funny. He's got the right to find it funny too. Just like you've got the right not to vote for him. Its not like you were gonna vote for him anyway.

I also wonder why Limbaugh being a douchebag justifies the comments made at this particular event. Again, great stuff for a comedy club but something you know is going to be on every news outlet in the world and you're sitting there smiling at the tasteless humor as POTUS. Just not a smart move. The POUTS should be better than that.

Limbaugh being a douchebad doesn't justify the comments. But they show how fake the outrage is. None of you who are screaming foul now were screaming this when Limbaugh was calling Obama a terrorist. None of you were screaming foul when McCain were rallying crowds up calling him a terrorist. In fact, yal were the ones saying "free speech". So don't come now acting like you're all offended.

I wonder if Dice Clay was up there making jokes wishing Jesse Jackson would get glaucoma be just as funny.

It depends on the delivery. Its all in the delivery.

I got pretty pissed at Michael Richards's rant. But when Southpark decided to have an epidode where Randy said the same word, I laughed.

Bottom line, the President should be held to higher standards and shouldn't be seen publicly enjoying, laughing or whatever you want to call it, when someone is wishing another americans kidneys would fail. It's unprofessional and tasteless.

What course of action would you consider most appropriate for Obama to take in this situation?

Archived