Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blackberries Suck.

Hubbs

What is the Devil's Music  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Devil's Music

That may be just you. They seem to be able to do it just as well.

Again, this is coming from some very tech friendly people, so when they say they prefer the iPhone, it means more to me than some random.

I think I am pretty tech friendly as I own my own IT services firm, am a certified database professional and have written apps to retrieve database data to a handheld wirelessly. So I would put my self in the technically able category.

It's not about being tech friendly. It's that the touch screen sucks and my fat fingers constantly hit the wrong buttons on the iphone.

I will take a full keyboard on any phone any day over a touch screen and so would most who do a lot of typing. Now if you are getting it for leisure and pleasure, go iphone or touchscreen. For conducting business, my full keyboard blackberry is superior to anything touchscreen.

It doesn't. Again, I'm not talking about a bevy of features here - if you seriously need your phone to read your email, go with the Blackberry. But if you don't, I personally don't know why you would buy it.

I've had blackberries for a couple years now. Here's why I love them: getting my emails to my phone is one of THE biggest draws to my blackberry. International capability is the other. Getting important emails while I'm in a remote area is pretty important to me...hence the internationally capable blackberry.

Really? I just have one so that I can keep up with my work e-mail after-hours...I'm neither a baller nor someone's *****. Also, I feel no sense of importance when I use my BB either.

Lol, me neither. In fact, I feel a sense of forboding when my phone dings at all hours with notification of some freaking thing I have to take care of.

To Hubbs, it's really not much different or more cumbersome to do the basic things. You mentioned call records...isn't that hitting one button and seeing the last x number of calls you've either placed or received? Adding someone to your address book is also just one or two clicks. How do your other phones work exactly?

Yeah, I would like to know this too. Is it less that a couple clicks to add an address in other phones? I don't even know anymore.

I will take a full keyboard on any phone any day over a touch screen and so would most who do a lot of typing. Now if you are getting it for leisure and pleasure, go iphone or touchscreen. For conducting business, my full keyboard blackberry is superior to anything touchscreen.

I'm telling you though dude, the iPhone corrects most every misspelling. You need to "trust" the software if that makes sense. Believe me, I like my bb for work and it works fine, but I can type out messages way faster on the iPhone. I make more mistakes on the bb because the buttons are tiny. Maybe I'd be better on a landscape keyboard.

I'm telling you though dude, the iPhone corrects most every misspelling. You need to "trust" the software if that makes sense. Believe me, I like my bb for work and it works fine, but I can type out messages way faster on the iPhone. I make more mistakes on the bb because the buttons are tiny. Maybe I'd be better on a landscape keyboard.

I would give the iphone a chance if it ever comes to verizon. I would be suprised if I liked the touch better than the keypad, but I do agree the BB buttons are tiny.

My partner has AT&T, I always have a signal, he always is complaining about never having one. :silly:

My blackberry storm corrects all my mispellings. And the landscape touchscreen works fine for me.

I've had blackberries for a couple years now. Here's why I love them: getting my emails to my phone is one of THE biggest draws to my blackberry. International capability is the other. Getting important emails while I'm in a remote area is pretty important to me...hence the internationally capable blackberry.

Yeah, if you want that from your phone, then the Blackberry's your #1.

Yeah, I would like to know this too. Is it less that a couple clicks to add an address in other phones? I don't even know anymore.

Yeah. Less clicks to add people, less clicks to start a text, less clicks to reply... I mean, seriously, it boggles my mind that the "Reply" option isn't automatically highlighted when you click the roll-ball on a text message. You have to scroll down. Makes no sense.

Yeah, if you want that from your phone, then the Blackberry's your #1.

Yeah. Less clicks to add people, less clicks to start a text, less clicks to reply... I mean, seriously, it boggles my mind that the "Reply" option isn't automatically highlighted when you click the roll-ball on a text message. You have to scroll down. Makes no sense.

Uh the reply button is automatically highlighted. There aren't more clicks you just don't know how to use the phone.

Also a text or email message is two clicks. Not sure what you are talking about. I can't send a text on my daughters or wifes "regular" phones in less than two clicks.

Well then why did you buy it.

The reason I bought a blackberry is because I run a business and use it to conduct business anywhere. I wouldn't do that on a voyager.

You are right, the blackberrys aren't toys. They aren't best for listening to music, surfing the web, playing games. But for straight up emailing and appointment reminders, they beat out every other phone.

Not sure what you thought you were buying.

I dont' know about that. I use a treo and get all those features, plus I don't have the qwerty keyboard. It interfaces with exchange and you don't have to resort to infrastructure cost in an enterprise enviorment.

Having to administer a BES and Exchange, I much prefer the mobile devices that can interface directly to the exchange server rather than through an ancillary device.

I dont' know about that. I use a treo and get all those features, plus I don't have the qwerty keyboard. It interfaces with exchange and you don't have to resort to infrastructure cost in an enterprise enviorment.

Having to administer a BES and Exchange, I much prefer the mobile devices that can interface directly to the exchange server rather than through an ancillary device.

I don't administer either. My hosting company does my corporate server and comcast is a pop address.

In addition, when I am overseas my world edition BB works great. :D

No fuss no muss.

Plus I want a qwerty keyboard. :silly:

I don't administer either. My hosting company does my corporate server and comcast is a pop address.

In addition, when I am overseas my world edition BB works great. :D

No fuss no muss.

Plus I want a qwerty keyboard. :silly:

Well i do have to administer it and there is significant infrastructure cost. You first have to purchase the blackberry, and hardware for a BES, and then CAL's for all your users. ( CALS run anywhere fro 50-70 dollars)

As for the international editions, it's simply a matter of having a phone with the right frequency. I have GSM and get signal on every continent I have been on. ( have not tried in Antarctica or Australia)

To me it's personal preference and I would rather directly interface with Exchange. I get everything I have in Outlook, including contacts, mail, calander, tasks and reminders. Plus my treo is Windows Mobile OS, and I can create of view Word, Excel, Powerpoint and PDF files.

It's personal preference, and I do manage a BES server, but as the administrator, I actually use a device that does not need to connect to an ancillary device.

Not to say that Blackberries are not useful, for they are. But if I am asked for a reccomendation, I would suggest a mobile device that can connect directly with my exchange device. ( PS, you can also connect the windows mobile devices to POP3 accounts)

can create of view Word, Excel, Powerpoint and PDF files.

Yeah but I am not doing word, excel docs on my handheld. Viewing them works fine on my blackberry.

My blackberry is for communication. Any real work on proposals via Word/Excel will only work on a real computer, I don't care what handheld you own.

Is that the Verizon one with the screen that pushes down? A friend of mine had one of those last night out at the bar - it's pretty slick.

Yeah, that's the one. I like it because its got my email accounts, international capability, and a camera. I don't love the touchscreen, but I'm getting more used to it, so it's fine.

Yeah but I am not doing word, excel docs on my handheld. Viewing them works fine on my blackberry.

My blackberry is for communication. Any real work on proposals via Word/Excel will only work on a real computer, I don't care what handheld you own.

I used to think the same thing, but found that I can edit documents and send them back to my staff while I am on the road.

It does not replace a laptop, but does make things a bit easier for smaller edits.

I don't knock the blackberry for it's purpose, I just don't care for the infrastructure costs in an enterprise enviorment.

To each his own. But as I said before, if asked I would steer users towards a device that connects directly with the exchange server.

For the record, my "reply" is highlighted too...like we said to the OP, I think part of the problem here might be user error or your config. Takes 2 seconds to add an address or send a text...

Also to the people really defending BB's over iphones for feature/function...come on guys. There is no comparison. A PDF looks like garbage on my curve - most you cant see a thing. On this little screen an excel file can barely be manipulated if at all. An iphone is literally like a mini-pc - you can do anything. Are you going to sit there and create complex formulas? No, but if you have to do simple edit & send back, or even just want to view ANY spreadsheet, PDF, word doc, etc...the iphone hands down is superior. Nevermind the "loading" time on bb's that simply doesnt exist given the iphone is a far superior piece of hardware too.

I enjoy the BB, offers a ton of convenience for work. But to say the iphone is not superior in nearly every way (again I just cant get used to the touchscreen) is just kidding yourself.

I've owned and setup all the devices. Treos, Blackberry's, G1's (haven't owned), and iPhones. Done BES in a few enterprise enviroments, but still prefer the devices which use Active Sync (G1, Treo, iPhone). Voyager doesn't do Activesync, and last I checked there wasn't a third party app for the push technology.

The Treo beats them for all for business to be honest, full qwerty keyboard, Windows OS, touchscreen, etc. It was hard to give up my Treo.

Blackberry's suck for editing/reading pdfs docs, etc. Full qwerty keyboard is a HUGE plus (unless you own the Pearl :( ), and as stated, BES makes administration of devices easier -but at a cost. If you own a STORM I feel sorry for you - it sucks. I hear BB is going to make a Touchscreen with full qwerty keyboard, that may be something nice.

I now own the iPhone. The ONLY think I don't like is the non qwerty keyboard. The touchscreen does make emailing painful, but the features it offers trumps that.

G1 is cool too, but has bugs. Texts do not always go through, and it freezes - requiring a reset.

I got rid of my BB 8830. Infuriating hardware issues aside, I never really liked the phone at all, it just wasn't for me. But now I've got an HTC Touch Pro, and I love this thing! Easily hackable, great interface, and easy Word/Excel editing, so I'll never go back.

Archived