Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blackberries Suck.

Hubbs

What is the Devil's Music  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Devil's Music

So, I lost my phone (an LG Voyager) the other day, and wound up replacing it with a Blackberry Curve. At first I thought this was a great idea, because so many people rave about how great Blackberries are. I now officially have no idea why, because this thing really, really sucks.

It's not that it doesn't have a lot of features - it obviously does. It's that most of the basic interface is absolutely terrible. I can't believe how jaw-droppingly bad the design of even simple things like adding a new number to your phone book is. And don't even get me started on text messaging. True, at the end of the day, it only adds a few seconds to the process compared to other phones that I've had, but it feels like working on a computer from 2002 when you're used to computers from 2007.

I'm sure someone will probably say that I'll think it's perfect after I get used to it, but, trust me, I'm completely comfortable with it already. It just sucks. I'd rather have something like the EnV over it, and I'll definitely be trading it in soon. Why the hell do so many people swear by these things?

How does the voyager notify you when you get new emails to your different email boxes? How does the voyager handle outlook appointments?

It doesn't. Again, I'm not talking about a bevy of features here - if you seriously need your phone to read your email, go with the Blackberry. But if you don't, I personally don't know why you would buy it.

It doesn't. Again, I'm not talking about a bevy of features here - if you seriously need your phone to read your email, go with the Blackberry. But if you don't, I personally don't know why you would buy it.

with that said, why did you buy it then? :chair:

Well then why did you buy it.

The reason I bought a blackberry is because I run a business and use it to conduct business anywhere. I wouldn't do that on a voyager.

You are right, the blackberrys aren't toys. They aren't best for listening to music, surfing the web, playing games. But for straight up emailing and appointment reminders, they beat out every other phone.

Not sure what you thought you were buying.

iPhone>>>>Blackberry anything. It's just much more user friendly.

I have a sister in law, and a 2 yo nephew. Just turned 2. He already knows how to navigate the iPhone, find video on the internet, play a few songs that he loves. He always picks the same few songs out of a library of 40 or so albums. He always finds the same funny video.

It's not that the kid is a genius. It's that the interface is that easy to learn. Apple is doing something right.

with that said, why did you buy it then? :chair:

Because I have two weeks to trade it for something else for free, and I figured I should give it more than the 15 minutes or so I tinkered around with it in the Verizon store, given that so many people swear by it.

But after a couple days, I'm ready to make use of that trade-in option.

As I said earlier...if you want a toy buy anything else.

Any phone including blackberry without a full keyboard that is not touch screen is worthless to me. I send lengthy emails and won't be doing it from a touchpad.

Blackberry full keyboard >>>>>> anything touchscreen.

I have a sister in law, and a 2 yo nephew. Just turned 2. He already knows how to navigate the iPhone, find video on the internet, play a few songs that he loves. He always picks the same few songs out of a library of 40 or so albums. He always finds the same funny video.

It's not that the kid is a genius. It's that the interface is that easy to learn. Apple is doing something right.

Oh, yeah. Several of my friends have iPhones, and the interface experience compared to the Blackberry is night and day.

i'll trade you my voyager for your blackberry lol

I'll be making that trade with the Verizon store within a couple days. Seriously, I'm pining for my Voyager at this point. Every time I use my Blackberry I feel like I'm time-traveling back to my middle school days and playing SimCity 1 on Windows 95. (Yes, I'm a mega-dork, in case anyone was wondering.)

Hubbs, I got the same vibe from it when I tried it out. Granted it just takes some getting used to, but the interface and usability is hardly intuitive. I like gadgets where the functionality isn't an afterthought. It does it's job, but not as well as it could.

Im not really sure what the problem is...type in the number like youre going to dial it and hit "add to address book", fill in whatever other info you want and youre done. To me, this is an improvement over doing the other steps first, as someone says "let me give you my number" and you just begin typing it in vs "ok hold on....unlock....menu...address book...add new...james johnson....ok go"

Like any other complex thing, there are multiple ways to do the same thing. Sounds like you just need to use it more to find the shortcuts.

[rant]

If I didnt need one, I would not have one. People think having a blackberry means youre important so all these wannabes go out and buy them to text message or check their aol email...no, it means your somebody else's go-fetch. If you are truly a baller, everyone else will wait on you, not the other way around.

Seriously, go sit on an airplane or a rental car bus and pull out your blackberry. Watch how everyone around you pulls theirs out too in some sort of "yeah im important too" competition. No idea where this came from, maybe with some companies only giving them out to execs it makes people want to give off the impression they are more senior than they are, but whatever it is, its spreading, and its ultra lame.

[/rant]

#1, I'm 22. It takes me about eight seconds to figure out some piece of technology I haven't used before. (And I know you're pretty close at 26, but just roll with me for a second here.) I figured out the "shortcut" you're describing while still in the Verizon store, but you would only describe it as a shortcut if you've been using a Blackberry for a while. Compared with any relatively new phone, it's simply not a shortcut. It's a longcut. Just like the Blackberry's text messaging, call records, and other phone basics.

As I said earlier...if you want a toy buy anything else.

Any phone including blackberry without a full keyboard that is not touch screen is worthless to me. I send lengthy emails and won't be doing it from a touchpad.

Blackberry full keyboard >>>>>> anything touchscreen.

Not according to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. They claim it is just as easy to compose and send email.

She has a blackberry for work, and says she wishes thye had iPhones instead. One person's opinion, etc.

Not according to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. They claim it is just as easy to compose and send email.

She has a blackberry for work, and says she wishes thye had iPhones instead. One person's opinion, etc.

Well i have used my daughters itouch plenty of times on my wireless internet at home. Typing anything significant is a pain in the rear. I am not unique or in the minority on this. Just ask around.

I don't base anything on opinion, I have used both. I will send you excerpts of my friends drunken emails from his iphone. It would have been a little more clear on a real keyboard. :silly:

People think having a blackberry means youre important so all these wannabes go out and buy them to text message or check their aol email...no, it means your somebody else's go-fetch. If you are truly a baller, everyone else will wait on you, not the other way around.

[/rant]

Really? I just have one so that I can keep up with my work e-mail after-hours...I'm neither a baller nor someone's *****. Also, I feel no sense of importance when I use my BB either.

To Hubbs, it's really not much different or more cumbersome to do the basic things. You mentioned call records...isn't that hitting one button and seeing the last x number of calls you've either placed or received? Adding someone to your address book is also just one or two clicks. How do your other phones work exactly?

Again, if you're a kid who wants to shoot quick "C U L8R" texts to your friends, maybe it's not ideal, but it's the best device to use if you want a good combination of e-mail, phone, and Internet. Hands down.

Really? I just have one so that I can keep up with my work e-mail after-hours...I'm neither a baller nor someone's *****. Also, I feel no sense of importance when I use my BB either.

To Hubbs, it's really not much different or more cumbersome to do the basic things. You mentioned call records...isn't that hitting one button and seeing the last x number of calls you've either placed or received? Adding someone to your address book is also just one or two clicks. How do your other phones work exactly?

Again, if you're a kid who wants to shoot quick "C U L8R" texts to your friends, maybe it's not ideal, but it's the best device to use if you want a good combination of e-mail, phone, and Internet. Hands down.

I am with you, maybe I overstated my point - many people equate having a blackberry to some kind of professional importance, and its ultra, ultra lame. Both the c u l8r text-kids and the 20yrs-in-middle-mgmt dbag who thinks the neato-hip-holster he's rockin is an id-badge for authority. Maybe I took too many soc classes in college, but this trend both frustrates and intrigues me because it tells a lot about peoples (in)securities.

To your last point, I do believe, for some people, the iphone is hands down the best combo device. I personally just cannot get used ot the touchscreen typing long emails. if you can more power to you, its the superior device without a doubt, but i cant.

On your point to hubbs - cosign in my response as well. seems easy to me, dont see the issue.

Well i have used my daughters itouch plenty of times on my wireless internet at home. Typing anything significant is a pain in the rear. I am not unique or in the minority on this. Just ask around.

I don't base anything on opinion, I have used both. I will send you excerpts of my friends drunken emails from his iphone. It would have been a little more clear on a real keyboard. :silly:

That may be just you. They seem to be able to do it just as well.

Again, this is coming from some very tech friendly people, so when they say they prefer the iPhone, it means more to me than some random.

The iphone is just like anything apple. Insanely expensive and not the best product out there. Blackberries are not for those who just want a smartphone, they are for those who conduct business from their phone.

Thouch screens suck, bad. I would much rather have buttons than touching an effing screen.

I have a Blackberry for work, and had an iPhone for personal use. To me, the iPhone was way easier when it came to composing emails. The predictive text works great. The more you use it, the better it gets. The phone learns the words you use most and is able to guess them. The bb is ok, but the buttons are too small for me.

Oh, I went through 2 iPhones. I dropped the first one in water, and lost the 2nd one. I'm waiting for the new one to come out in June to buy another one, so I got a Palm Centro to use in the meantime. It sucks. Going from the iPhone to the Centro is like going from eating filet mignon to a 7-11 big bite hot dog.

My first "smart phone" was a nokia e-71 which wasn't even available in the US at the time.... It was awesome, but my boss switched me to a BB curve 8900 and although its not as cool as the nokia, I make free phone calls whenever I'm in a open wifi or my own. It could be a little more user friendly. My key was finding an app that allowed a pile of shortcuts on the main screen, it was much easier to deal with then.

Archived