Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Dream Theater Thread (Mike Portnoy has left DT)

skinfan133

• 2 weeks later...

Systematic Chaos and Octavarium both blew majorly in my opinion, and this coming from someone who puts Scenes From a Memory as one of the most impressive albums of all time.

I have a good feeling about this one though...really the trick is to let Labrie sing as little as possible.

Systematic Chaos and Octavarium both blew majorly in my opinion, and this coming from someone who puts Scenes From a Memory as one of the most impressive albums of all time.

I have a good feeling about this one though...really the trick is to let Labrie sing as little as possible.

octavarium grows on you if you let it. there are some really good parts on it. that said, These Walls sucks (I dont understand why its their most popular song on itunes) and so does I Walk Beside You. Answer lies within i tolerate, but I dont love it. the rest is good stuff imo

systematic chaos is my least favorite dt album by far. it somehow isn't metal, but at the same time isn't prog rock either. I don't know how to describe it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought the 3 cd special edition. I know there was a third format, but I'll stick with the 3 cd one for now. Only $15 at Best Buy, which considering that's how much I've paid for their regular albums in the past, I'll take it.

I must say that it is pretty AWESOME!!! This album seems to have potential to be as good as Metropolis Pt. 2 or Images & Words. All the songs have their own style, but of course flow in the way Dream Theater songs tend to. The Shattered Fortress is just over the top great! It has all the best elements of the previous songs.

Simply put, if you are a fan, get this album asap!!!

Systematic Chaos and Octavarium both blew majorly in my opinion

I agree about Systematic, but I thought Octavarium was there best to date. The only complaint I had was that I thought a couple of Petrucci's solos were a little weak for him. But, overall, I thought it was quite impressive.

I should be getting the new one in the mail any day now. I know it was shipped!

Just bought the 3 cd special edition. I know there was a third format, but I'll stick with the 3 cd one for now. Only $15 at Best Buy, which considering that's how much I've paid for their regular albums in the past, I'll take it.

I must say that it is pretty AWESOME!!! This album seems to have potential to be as good as Metropolis Pt. 2 or Images & Words. All the songs have their own style, but of course flow in the way Dream Theater songs tend to. The Shattered Fortress is just over the top great! It has all the best elements of the previous songs.

good to know, and only 15 bucks? I'll have someone pick it up for me.

Agreed!! This album is awesome. I love The Shattered Fortress, but I think my favorite is The Count of Tuscany, 19 minutes of vintage Dream Theater.

I haven't seen any other band use riffs out of their back catalog the way Dream Theater did on this album and yet still keep it new and exciting.

This is way way better than Systematic Chaos, which is the only DT album I do not like.

I must admit that I could have done without Wither.

I ****ing love this 15 buck 3 disc special edition! best value ever, over 200 minutes of pure music for 15 dollars??? its a steal!

my favorite tracks are The Best of Times and the Shattered Fortress instrumental track. purely amazing!

Archived