Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Dream Theater Thread (Mike Portnoy has left DT)

skinfan133

How much of this album is musical masturbation and how much is actual good music? If the ratio of good music to wankage is favorable, I may buy the album. I just do not want to buy another album that is garbage.
if you liked six degrees and train of thought you'll like this album. in no way does this album sound like systematic chaos.

the 3 disc special is well worth 15 bucks. like i said earlier, 200 minutes of music, including an instrumental-only mix of the whole album and 6 cover songs (including queen and iron maiden).

if you don't like Dream Theater I wouldn't recommend this album though.

oh, the song whither isn't especially awesome, its just ok

Cool. I can stand older Dream Theater. The new stuff is too annoying. I will give this one a shot though.
download the shattered fortress and best of times before you shell out the bucks. those are my favorites on the album. if you don't like those, you wont like the album.

I thought some of octavarium was ok (2 or maybe 3 songs) and systematic chaos was a steaming turd, but so far I'm in love with the 3 disc special, especially the instrumental-only album mix.

Okay, my favorite CD's were Octavarium, Images & Words, and Scenes from a Memory.

Based on that, will I like this CD ?

I think so. It probably would sound more like octavarium based on the other two albums you said. it has a lot of 6 degrees and train of thought in it though. overall I really like the album. If you like DT other than systematic chaos, you'll like this album

download the shattered fortress and best of times before you shell out the bucks. those are my favorites on the album. if you don't like those, you wont like the album.

I thought some of octavarium was ok (2 or maybe 3 songs) and systematic chaos was a steaming turd, but so far I'm in love with the 3 disc special, especially the instrumental-only album mix.

Are the tunes on myspace? I am not going to download the songs. I may just borrow the CD from a friend or something.

Are the tunes on myspace? I am not going to download the songs. I may just borrow the CD from a friend or something.
that works. "A rite of Passage" is on their myspace- www.myspace.com/dreamtheater

its a good song. I think the lyrical material of the song is a little cliched, and Portnoy's little low-talking chanting is a little silly, but if you get past that its a good song. Don't judge the rest of the album on that song. like I said, if you can preview the shattered fortress and the best of times, those are the best ones.

I enjoyed A Rite of Passage the first time I heard it.
you'll love the album then. I'd say at this point it's well worth shelling out 15 bucks at bestbuy or amazon.co in order to score the 3 disc special edition. like i said, its all music and no band interview stuff or making of. 3 discs of nothing but music for 15 bucks, i honestly can't think of a better deal

you'll love the album then. I'd say at this point it's well worth shelling out 15 bucks at bestbuy or amazon.co in order to score the 3 disc special edition. like i said, its all music and no band interview stuff or making of. 3 discs of nothing but music for 15 bucks, i honestly can't think of a better deal

For 3 CDs and all the extras, it is a no-brainer.

How much of this album is musical masturbation and how much is actual good music? If the ratio of good music to wankage is favorable, I may buy the album. I just do not want to buy another album that is garbage.

Dream Theater has always been about wankage. That's something that's always going to be true about the band. It just depends on what kind of wankage you enjoy.

if you liked six degrees and train of thought you'll like this album. in no way does this album sound like systematic chaos.

First, I disagree with that. You still have the aggressive vocals from Portnoy on some of the songs.

I'm also not quite sure why people talk about Systematic Chaos like it was substandard. Personally, I think it was the best stuff that they had done in years. Not a weak track in the bunch.

As for the new album, it couldn't top the previous one and it doesn't. It is still pretty good. I think "The Count Of Tuscany" is the highlight of the album so far. The chorus is killer and the last part is wonderful. The covers are probably more worth getting than the main album.

Dream Theater has always been about wankage. That's something that's always going to be true about the band. It just depends on what kind of wankage you enjoy.

First, I disagree with that. You still have the aggressive vocals from Portnoy on some of the songs.

I'm also not quite sure why people talk about Systematic Chaos like it was substandard. Personally, I think it was the best stuff that they had done in years. Not a weak track in the bunch.

As for the new album, it couldn't top the previous one and it doesn't. It is still pretty good. I think "The Count Of Tuscany" is the highlight of the album so far. The chorus is killer and the last part is wonderful.

I guess it just depends on your personal musical tastes.

for me, systematic chaos was too different from their previous work. I liked forsaken, the last half of Ministry of lost souls and the presence of enemies saga, but the other songs were repetitive and unimaginative imo. The record experimented too much and in a negative way.

I tend to like melodies and complex structures with very little repetition. some call it bombastic, some call it showing off, I truly just think it's good music. It's the same way I enjoy Opeth and other progressive metal acts.

now Dragonforce, that's a band that is truly musical masturbation. their guitarist is such a pushover, all he does is play fast, no melody, no meter, just boring speed. They even admitted that they sped up their albums and their live shows are sometimes dubs. that's just trying to show off.

I guess it just depends on your personal musical tastes.

for me, systematic chaos was too different from their previous work. I liked forsaken, the last half of Ministry of lost souls and the presence of enemies saga, but the other songs were repetitive and unimaginative imo. The record experimented too much and in a negative way.

So, is the album "repetitive and unimaginative" or too "experimental"? Those things tend to be mutually exclusive.

Personally, I think different was good, because I felt that DT had become pretty stale for a long time. For me, probably since Falling Into Infinity. There had been too much going over old ground and too much aping other band's styles. Systematic Chaos was a big wake-up call for them and to a certain extent has carried over to the new album.

I'd say the weakest song on SC was Prophets Of War, if just that it is what has become the standard James LaBrie message song that each recent album needed one of. (Sacrificed Sons, In The Name Of God, The Great Debate) Fortunately, they've broken that pattern with this album.

On the new one, the weakest songs for me so far are "The Shattered Fortress" and "The Best of Times". Yes, I know that "The Shattered Fortress" is supposed to be continuing the themes of previous songs, but it feels very patchwork and I've very burned out of them referring to previous songs. "The Best Of Times" just doesn't have the strength of, say "Take Away My Pain". It is just there for me.

now Dragonforce, that's a band that is truly musical masturbation. their guitarist is such a pushover, all he does is play fast, no melody, no meter, just boring speed. They even admitted that they sped up their albums and their live shows are sometimes dubs. that's just trying to show off.

Dragonforce is a one trick pony. Once you've heard the trick, you've pretty much heard all that they have. Fortunately, all the Dragonforce I own has been bought on the cheap.

I guess everyone just has different tastes. I never had a problem with Systematic Chaos. In the Presence of Enemies Part I and II were great to me. Forsaken and Dark Eternal Night were pretty solid. Sure the album on the whole wasn't their best, but it was what Dream Theater is.

I see what people say about Prophets of War, and the only one of those politically motivated songs I did like was Sacrificed Sons.

As for the musical wankage, yeah, that is what they do, but it is still tasteful. They know they are really technically proficient and don't mind showing off.

Didn't somebody say it was a 3-CD set ?

I only got one CD with 5 or 6 songs on it ?

Did I miss something ?

You bought the single cd version for $10 probably. The three cd set is a box set for $15, or $20 regular price at Best Buy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I just got into Dream Theater this weekend. Oh my God, this band is amazing. From just listening to Black Clouds and Silver Linings, they are are my second favorite band. I definitely know what's being added to my Christmas list.
:D

awesome stuff! DT is probably obviously my favorite band. I would definitely get Train of Thought if you like black clouds and silver linings. of their older stuff, you'd probably like Awake the best, quite a revolutionary album in terms of sound for 1994.

• 9 months later...

Archived