Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Manny Ramirez To Be Suspended For 50 Games!

KingGibbs

Yep. They were putting up big numbers late in their careers as well.

Ripken and Gwynn definiely didn't put up numbers late in their careers. The last 2 years of Riken's career he hit .256 with 15 HR and 56 RBI and .239 with 14 HR and 68 RBI. Gwynn hit .323 with 1 HR and 17 RBI and .324 with 1 HR and 17 RBI. I would hardly say those were big numbers.

Ripken and Gwynn definiely didn't put up numbers late in their careers. The last 2 years of Riken's career he hit .256 with 15 HR and 56 RBI and .239 with 14 HR and 68 RBI. Gwynn hit .323 with 1 HR and 17 RBI and .324 with 1 HR and 17 RBI. I would hardly say those were big numbers.

In '96 Ripken collected more total bases and posted a higher slugging percentage than he had in 5 previous seasons. That was a also a year he was teammates with Brady Anderson, Manny Alexander and Palmeiro.

Gwynn at 37 was hitting better than Gwynn at 28.

Does that mean the suspension might be reversed?

The fact that he's not appealing it makes the "excuse" a little BS in my opinion.

If the situation really went down like Ramierz camp is defending then why not go to the doctor, and give the presciption to Major League Baseball? The silver lineing in all of that is it's ultimatley the PLAYERS responsibility to read and re-read lables in whatever they take.

BTW - the notion that modern day players are doing anything different (as in using drugs to enhance performance) from the players of the 50's, 60's and 70's is ripe for epic failure.

Greenies (amphetamines) were alleged to be abused more then than they are now. And yes, greenies are PED's.

As someone who uses amphetamines, I have to say, I'm not quite sure how they would enhance athletic performance.

(That's not to say that I don't believe you. I do. But I've worked out and played sports while on them, and I didn't notice a difference. Just kinda curious.)

LMAO Manny caught with HCG

However, two sources told ESPN's T.J. Quinn and Mark Fainaru-Wada that the drug used by Ramirez is hCG -- human chorionic gonadotropin. HCG is a women's fertility drug typically used by steroid users to restart their body's natural testosterone production as they come off a steroid cycle. It is similar to Clomid, the drug Bonds, Giambi and others used as clients of BALCO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

In '96 Ripken collected more total bases and posted a higher slugging percentage than he had in 5 previous seasons. That was a also a year he was teammates with Brady Anderson, Manny Alexander and Palmeiro.

Gwynn at 37 was hitting better than Gwynn at 28.

Ripken's slugging percentages from 94-96 were: .459, .422, and .466. Its not like it went from .780 to .450. I would hardly say those numbers set off any alarms for steroid use.

Gwynn never hit below .300 in his career. His worst batting average was .309 in 1990.

What would be the legitimate medical purpose behind it?

The medical purpose to the get testosterone levels back to a normal level. Whatever that may be...

Many steriod users use this in order to get their levels back to a normal balanced rate from what I understand.

Gee, I'm shocked!!! Not. All these guys are guilty as far as I'm concerned. I don't understand why people act surprised or even outraged at this kind of crap.

If the situation really went down like Ramierz camp is defending then why not go to the doctor, and give the presciption to Major League Baseball? The silver lineing in all of that is it's ultimatley the PLAYERS responsibility to read and re-read lables in whatever they take.

Pretty much, it's up to the athletes to know WTF they are taking. It really isn't that hard.

My guy gets tested by the IOC all the time. He knows what he can take and what he cannot take. He knows he can't even use Vick's Vapo Rub stuff, so he doesn't. It's not rocket science...unless you're actively attempting to circumvent the system.

I don't like his attitude or on-field personality all that much, but I'll take his word until it's proven he is guilty. It appears baseball has significantly stronger steroid policy than any other sport, as in more common accessible drugs are on the list that maybe should not be.

As for many on here stating he should know what he is putting in his body - can you name all the ingredients in sinus medicine? Dayquil? What about a 20 oz. bottle of Nestea? If a doctor gives me medicine, I trust their decision.

Also, I thought 50 games was for the second infraction by a player?

GHC,GHB, whatever you want to call it, the fact is that in everybodys mind is the fact he cheated. bottom line. I have been watching this on ESPN all afternoon. They are saying dont judge him because no one knows if it was acutal steroidal compounds he was taking or GHC, which is a hormonal drug used by steroid takers to help keep their gains after a cycle.

The fact is that Manny knows how scrutinized that the performance enhancing drugs issue is. He ****ed up, so he has to pay the fine.

I like the point John Kruk made: Manny will lose about $7 million for the loss games but still will end up making $38 million for the season. What a country!!!!

As for many on here stating he should know what he is putting in his body - can you name all the ingredients in sinus medicine? Dayquil? What about a 20 oz. bottle of Nestea? If a doctor gives me medicine, I trust their decision.

Apples and oranges. We're not professional athletes who have trained professionals at their disposal to examine ALL of the substances they put in their bodies.

hahahahaha... takes a Red Sox player leaving Boston for him to get caught but at least it finally happened. 2004 and 2006 are now tainted.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:cheers:

EDIT: I changed my sig, is it too big, can someone please let me know lol...

Am I the only one who does not care at all about this stuff?

It happens in all sports. I am sure it is everywhere in the NFL. Hell look at Orakpo from freshman year to now at UT. I would not be surprised if he juiced...and honestly I don't care.

Apples and oranges. We're not professional athletes who have trained professionals at their disposal to examine ALL of the substances they put in their bodies.

So he didn't pay this doctor for expert advice?

I'm under the impression the rich athletes know and can afford the best doctors, therefore trusting their judgement.

Archived