Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rotoworld/NFL.com: Bengals sign Roy "Horsecollar" Williams(Merged)

Oldskool

Bengals agree to deal with SS Roy Williams

Bengals agreed to terms with SS Roy Williams, formerly of the Cowboys.

Williams had his best years for Cincy defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer in Dallas, but has lost his confidence in coverage and possibly his range. He'll likely only help on running downs if he beats out Nedu Ndukwe. That'll be an open competition. Ndukwe has more potential as a three-down player. May. 6 - 4:00 pm et

Source: NFL.com

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/05/06/former-cowboys-safety-williams-going-to-bengals/

Former Cowboys safety Williams going to Bengals

Posted: May 6th, 2009 | Steve Wyche | Tags: Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, Mike Zimmer, Roy Williams

The Bengals have agreed to terms with former Cowboys free safety Roy Williams.

The Cowboys released Williams, once regarded as one of the fiercest safeties in the NFL, after last season.

In Cincinnati, Williams will be reunited with Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who coached the Cowboys’ defense when the safety had some of his best production.

– Steve Wyche

Bengals agree with Roy Williams

3:12 PM Wed, May 06, 2009 | Permalink | Buzz up! Yahoo! Buzz

Todd Archer email-icon.jpg E-mail email-icon.jpg News tips

Roy Williams has found a home in Cincinnati, reuniting with his Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Williams worked out for the Bengals after he was released by the Cowboys and at the time Zimmer said it looked like Williams could still play. Once the draft ended, conversations with the Bengals and Williams' agent, Jordan Woy, picked up. Williams is the second ex-Cowboy to agree to terms with the Bengals, joining defensive tackle Tank Johnson, this off-season.

A first-round pick in 2002, Williams was named to the Pro Bowl five times, joining Cliff Harris, Mel Renfro and Darren Woodson as the only safeties in franchise history with five or more Pro Bowl selections.

He was credited with 611 tackles and had 6.5 sacks to go with 19 interceptions, including three returned for a touchdown, which is one shy of the team record. Williams played in only three games last season after fracturing his forearm twice and was credited with only nine tackles.

But teams took advantage of Williams' coverage skills and he felt he was not used properly when the Cowobys made the switch to the 3-4 defense in 2005. WIlliams built a reputation on big hits and the NFL outlawed his horse-collar tackle.

Its amazing that a guy like Williams can get picked up by a team but Derrick Brooks, Marvin Harrison, etc. still have not . . . I will never understand that. By picking up Roy, the Bengals just made their defense incredibly worse.

Brooks is an older, tampa 2 LB and that defense is currently not in vogue.

Harrison is going to retire, as no one is going to take a flyer on an older WR coming off injury that has played in 1 system his entire career.

Its amazing that a guy like Williams can get picked up by a team but Derrick Brooks, Marvin Harrison, etc. still have not . . . I will never understand that. By picking up Roy, the Bengals just made their defense incredibly worse.

You do know Roy is only 28 and has ties with D-Coordinator Mike Zimmer where as Brooks is 36 and Harrison is 37.

Everybody knows he's no good on the field, but I have major respect for him (other than the horsecollaring). I still remember when we played the Cowboys in 06', and Sean picked up the ball from the blocked field goal, and after they play, they showed Roy saying that the Cowboys pulled the facemask. I mean, it was real obvious anyway, but players usually don't do things like that. I even like when he called Sean Taylor a close friend.

Brooks is an older, tampa 2 LB and that defense is currently not in vogue.

Harrison is going to retire, as no one is going to take a flyer on an older WR coming off injury that has played in 1 system his entire career.

I'll grant you that the Tampa 2 defense is not currently popular throughout the league . . . but that doesn't mean that a team should not take a chance on a first ballot HOF. And in terms of Harrison - he can provide the veteran presence to some younger wide receiver groups at the very least.

You do know Roy is only 28 and has ties with D-Coordinator Mike Zimmer where as Brooks is 36 and Harrison is 37.

Of course I know that he is "only" 28 and that he has had some success under Zimmer . . . but I would still give at least a look at two first ballot HOFers. Because either one of them, whether it is Brooks at 36 and Harrison at 37, is still tremendously better than Roy Williams.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/05/bengals-import-ss-roy-williams-export-lt-levi-jones.html

"Roy is happy to be joining the Bengals and playing for Coach (Marvin) Lewis and Zimmer. He turned down larger deals to play for the Bengals,” Williams’ agent, Jordan Woy, told the Cincinnati Enquirer.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

sure there where, sure there where :thumbsup:

I'll grant you that the Tampa 2 defense is not currently popular throughout the league . . . but that doesn't mean that a team should not take a chance on a first ballot HOF.

Brooks skill set are completely set for a tampa 2 offense and with not alot of teams playing it, no one is going to spend the money to bring in a guy who would be buried on a depth chart anyhow. Brooks had a great career, but circumstances outside of his control will probably force him to retire.

And in terms of Harrison - he can provide the veteran presence to some younger wide receiver groups at the very least.

Harrison will probably hang around unsigned until camp ends and wait for the Colts to come calling due to an injury.

If he goes to another team, he's going to want to have his salary guaranteed, and no smart GM will give a 36+ year old WR with a bad knee a contract like that.

I'll grant you that the Tampa 2 defense is not currently popular throughout the league . . . but that doesn't mean that a team should not take a chance on a first ballot HOF.

Brooks skill set are completely set for a tampa 2 offense and with not alot of teams playing it, no one is going to spend the money to bring in a guy who would be buried on a depth chart anyhow. Brooks had a great career, but circumstances outside of his control will probably force him to retire.

Harrison will probably hang around unsigned until camp ends and wait for the Colts to come calling due to an injury.

If he goes to another team, he's going to want to have his salary guaranteed, and no smart GM will give a 36+ year old WR with a bad knee a contract like that.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/05/peter-king-marvin-harrison-not-playing-any-more.html

Peter King: Marvin Harrison 'not playing any more'

Via his Twitter account, Sports Illustrated NFL writer Peter King -- who was recently awarded the McCann Award by the Professional Football Writers of America for his long and distinguished service to the profession (congratulations, Peter) -- basically indicated that former Colts WR Marvin Harrison is done.

In response to a question on his Twitter feed, King said of Harrison: "I've been told reliably that Marvin Harrison's not playing any more. Knee hurts. Can't get healthy like the old Marvin."

The Colts released Harrison on Feb. 25 when team and player were unable to agree to a restructured contract. Harrison is coming off the worst two-year stretch of his career -- injuries, including that problematic knee, have limited him to 20 games total since 2007 -- as he's compiled 80 receptions for 883 yards and six TDs, numbers that don't even approach one of his run-of-the-mill seasons in his prime.

ESPN's John Clayton also indicated yesterday that the fish weren't biting for Harrison, saying "there's nothing on the agenda" for the 36-year-old receiver.

Of course, this could all change the moment a star wideout is waylaid by a training camp injury.

Archived