Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike & Mike: Justin Tuck on Jason Campbell

SkinsTerps26

Likes him, but he's still developing. Window for development is small in this league

Says his Upside is the greatest of a group of QBs Greenberg brought up who are below 30 years old.

doesn't have the group of guys the other teams do

I think he's a promising young QB

Also, when asked if he would build a team with Romo sits to pee his response

"I plea the fifth"

:dallasuck

Maybe he hates Romo sits to pee because he usually beats them (4-1) and they have trouble sacking him...just saying.

I knew I shouldn't have used Colt as my example...

As I stated, this really doesn't have anything to do with Colt. It's more important to focus on a QB that has been asked to carry a team vs. a QB that was a cog in a bigger machine.

When push comes to shove, I think the QB that has been responsible for more wins and losses and not just a guy along for the ride is more ready to play in the NFL and lead a team.

I am not going to act like an expert on your QB's college careers.

But to me it is like this, notice how some HS QB's are the team and carry them to the state titles? Then when they come to College they are nothing and majority flake out? That is how the NFL is.

You have to be PREPARED for the NFL game (which JC was when you look at the systems he played, the competition, and the teammates) and not just be THE guy on a team that had inferior opponents. You talk about Colt in the clutch, but I can't remember one college game where they were not dominating besides the Sugar Bowl. They dominated because they had inferior opponents.

tuck pretty much said this about Romo sits to pee with his plea the fifth. i saw it on tv and u could see it in his face, he then retracted and said "he is a good qb, but he can't win the big game" would put a bunch of qbs ahead of him

I agree with that but Jason Campbell aint one of them.

He does...no doubt. However, he still sometimes appears to be missing something.

I think of it like this (and forgive me for comparing our 2 young QBs as people have done in about 100 other threads)...

Campbell is a better physical QB than Brennan, no doubt. He has a better arm, better mobility, better measurables, and even played in a better conference vs. better competition in college.

However, Brennan was THE MAN at Hawaii. In crunch time, he took the offense on his shoulders and took it upon himself to make a play/win the game. Campbell, despite tougher competition, wasn't even the biggest threat on his own team. He had 2 great RBs and was probably only asked to do something clutch a handful of times at Auburn.

Now, what that translates to, I don't really know. However, I can't imagine that Campbell is more sure of himself with games on the line than Colt is given he's had less experience in those situations. Also, I would guess it's easier to "command the huddle" when you had to do it all through college and everyone was looking to you. Campbell, whether he actually deferred or not, had the option to defer to Ronnie Brown, Caddillac Williams, etc.

Anyway, just something I've been thinking about and been waiting to post in a Campbell thread since I didn't think it deserved its own!

What, Someone has a thought that they want people to see, and didn't create his own thread about it?

Do you think he will choose to stay if he does play great?

I can see him wanting to test free agency...

This is even better for us. If Campbell has an incredible fluke season, we franchise him & demand two first rounders. If Zorn can make JC good he can make CB incredible. Write it down: Year 3 he's lights out. CB is the real QB this city has been waiting for.

The reason why he is still developing is because he hasn't had two back-to-back years in the same offensive scheme since, well, ever!!! Would you want to be fired because you couldn't keep up with the changes?

:logo:

He was in Saunders/Gibbs offense for two years, get your facts straight.

:chair:

I am not going to act like an expert on your QB's college careers.

But to me it is like this, notice how some HS QB's are the team and carry them to the state titles? Then when they come to College they are nothing and majority flake out? That is how the NFL is.

You have to be PREPARED for the NFL game (which JC was when you look at the systems he played, the competition, and the teammates) and not just be THE guy on a team that had inferior opponents. You talk about Colt in the clutch, but I can't remember one college game where they were not dominating besides the Sugar Bowl. They dominated because they had inferior opponents.

I'll just go ahead and claim defeat. My post seems to have been widely disagreed with, which is perfectly fine.

Like I mentioned, I have no clue if or how much being the team leader and the star helps at all...it was just a logical step to take in my mind. If I've been looked to throughout my career to make plays to win games, maybe I'm better suited to play in a league which has games decided by one score quite often. On the other hand, if I'm a good player on a team of other good/great players and I'm able to look to other teammates to win games, I might not have that "edge" that makes me want the ball with the clock ticking down and the game on the line.

I respect the opinions of this board though and can see that I'm not in the majority here!

I find it very telling that Tuck says "He doesn't have the group of guys the other teams do", and thats coming from another player in the league, let alone the same divison. Do you think he's talking about the WR's or the OL?

First year was a Gibbs led offense, no Saunders. year two they bring in Saunders and the struggle between pass and run began. Gibbs was the coach, but it was Saunders playbook in year two... the seven houndred page screen play manual.

First year was a Gibbs led offense, no Saunders. year two they bring in Saunders and the struggle between pass and run began. Gibbs was the coach, but it was Saunders playbook in year two... the seven houndred page screen play manual.

Year 3 was still Saunders 700 page playbook.

I'll just go ahead and claim defeat. My post seems to have been widely disagreed with, which is perfectly fine.

Like I mentioned, I have no clue if or how much being the team leader and the star helps at all...it was just a logical step to take in my mind. If I've been looked to throughout my career to make plays to win games, maybe I'm better suited to play in a league which has games decided by one score quite often. On the other hand, if I'm a good player on a team of other good/great players and I'm able to look to other teammates to win games, I might not have that "edge" that makes me want the ball with the clock ticking down and the game on the line.

I respect the opinions of this board though and can see that I'm not in the majority here!

All of us just have opinions and yours is logical. It just isn't comparing apples to apples, strictly because both situations in which they played in are very different entering the NFL. Again, at least that is my opinion.

This is even better for us. If Campbell has an incredible fluke season, we franchise him & demand two first rounders. If Zorn can make JC good he can make CB incredible. Write it down: Year 3 he's lights out. CB is the real QB this city has been waiting for.

Lol. Of course, if Campbell has a great season it is just a "fluke". So you're saying that if Campbell plays great this year you'd rather us give that up and then take our chances on a guy who even Zorn has said has a ways to go and mighttake the #2 spot from Collins. :doh:

He did not say JC has the greatest upside. I listened to it and he struggled to pay a compliment so he said he has upside but 'his window to show it is getting small since he is now in his 5th year'. Hardly an edorsement.

He did not say JC has the greatest upside. I listened to it and he struggled to pay a compliment so he said he has upside but 'his window to show it is getting small since he is now in his 5th year'. Hardly an edorsement.

You mean someone posted what they "heard" and stretched the truth?

He does...no doubt. However, he still sometimes appears to be missing something.

I think of it like this (and forgive me for comparing our 2 young QBs as people have done in about 100 other threads)...

Campbell is a better physical QB than Brennan, no doubt. He has a better arm, better mobility, better measurables, and even played in a better conference vs. better competition in college.

However, Brennan was THE MAN at Hawaii. In crunch time, he took the offense on his shoulders and took it upon himself to make a play/win the game. Campbell, despite tougher competition, wasn't even the biggest threat on his own team. He had 2 great RBs and was probably only asked to do something clutch a handful of times at Auburn.

Now, what that translates to, I don't really know. However, I can't imagine that Campbell is more sure of himself with games on the line than Colt is given he's had less experience in those situations. Also, I would guess it's easier to "command the huddle" when you had to do it all through college and everyone was looking to you. Campbell, whether he actually deferred or not, had the option to defer to Ronnie Brown, Caddillac Williams, etc.

Anyway, just something I've been thinking about and been waiting to post in a Campbell thread since I didn't think it deserved its own!

I agree. Jason Campbell was on an Auburn team that didn't need great QB play and he did what was needed to win ball games. That was of course, just manage the game and not turn the ball over.

Last year when we started the season 6-2 he did just that, he managed the game and he didn't turn the ball over. We used Portis and a stingy defense to get the job done. The problem last year was the second half of the season when we got behind and we had to rely on not only Jason's arm but an offensive line that was at best average.

Keep Jason upright and I think he will be a good QB, not great but good.

and dumbed down at that, enough of that crap already ok? You would think by now Jason would have found a offense he fit in since he has seen so many.

The problem last year was the second half of the season when we got behind and we had to rely on not only Jason's arm but an offensive line that was at best average.

Not making excuses for him but it would help if he had more than two passing options, just saying.

The problem last year was the second half of the season when we got behind and we had to rely on not only Jason's arm but an offensive line that was at best average.

Not making excuses for him but it would help if he had more than two passing options, just saying.

Many and I mean MANY teams survive with an average oline and finish well. Look at the off season did the oline change? Not much and it wasn't all on the oline last year, you can blame them if you want but that would be wrong.

How long will Jason be "developing"???

Has he hit his ceiling yet? This year will tell...

Why? Because we gave him all the possible weapons we could? Because we bolstered the receiver corp last draft with two invisible receivers and a TE that barely saw the field? Because our Oline has gotten more injury prone with every passing year? Because we completely neglected our offense this past draft?

Personally, I'm indifferent about Campbell. However, I don't think he's been given the best circumstances. Also, I don't think he's lived up to the expectations for him with all the talk of, "He has the tools..."

Many and I mean MANY teams survive with an average oline and finish well. Look at the off season did the oline change? Not much and it wasn't all on the oline last year, you can blame them if you want but that would be wrong.

It wasn't ALL on anyone. But if you seriously believe that the OL wasn't at least partly responsible for the second half collapse last season you're living in a fantasy world, considering how many people...coaches, analysts, etc...have said that a good amount of the blame can be put on the OL. But what would they know? You watched the games once on TV!

Archived