Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skinscast.com: Man on a Mission (Colt Brennan Story)

JimmiJo

This logic is ridiculously stupid. It's absolutely, completely stupid.

Why would the team want Campbell to start if he weren't the best player right now? They, especially Zorn, have NO loyalty to him. Everyone talking about Brennan is saying that he's just not ready. Why would they go after so many other quarterbacks if Brennan were better than Campbell? It makes NO sense.

Some of you guys don't think before you type.

Name one time since he was drafted that JC's had to compete for his job? Just one time. That's all I'm looking for. Shouldn't be difficult since everyone is so "stupid" compared to you, right? So, come on, genius. Did he compete against Brunel? Collins? Colt?

Zorn only has his job because he was the only one who was interviewed that was willing to just let JC keep the starting job. This has been reported time and time again. GW didn't want JC at all. Even Gibbs has said that he would have had a competition between TC and JC had he stayed.

So, where is your logic now, genius boy?

Yeah, and I'm glad that you brought this up in your MUCH-appreciated coverage the past few days. For some reason, one of the best QUARTERBACK coaches doesn't think that Brennan has that "it", at least not right now, but the Cult of Colt is clamoring for him. I'll never understand that.

Zorn was mostly silent during any Campbell trade/Sanchez-drafting discussion, as far as I remember, and Brennan was never brought up as a possible successor. There MIGHT be a reason for that. Just saying.

I'll be the first to say Colt sucks when he sucks no EXCUSES period!!! Its clear right now that JC is our leader. Colt will only get better behind a guy like that. What QB coaches all say Its what a QB does when he is under pressure that what makes a great QB can he perform the same way when he has J Pepper coming at him at full speed LOL! This whole QB thing will only make our team better the better CB5 is the better JC will have to step up that much more. And the more we can post about!!

Name one time since he was drafted that JC's had to compete for his job? Just one time. That's all I'm looking for. Shouldn't be difficult since everyone is so "stupid" compared to you, right? So, come on, genius. Did he compete against Brunel? Collins? Colt?

Zorn only has his job because he was the only one who was interviewed that was willing to just let JC keep the starting job. This has been reported time and time again. GW didn't want JC at all. Even Gibbs has said that he would have had a competition between TC and JC had he stayed.

So, where is your logic now, genius boy?

Every single year. He competes every single year. Why wouldn't he? What's the benefit of this? Yes, he competed against Brunell. Remember when Brunell was the starter, Collins was the backup, and Campbell was third string? You're making no sense, again.

So they brought in Zorn for Campbell? Brilliant. Forget wanting to win, Zorn was brought in to develop Campbell. Makes a ton of sense.

:doh:

Every single year. He competes every single year. Why wouldn't he? What's the benefit of this? Yes, he competed against Brunell. Remember when Brunell was the starter, Collins was the backup, and Campbell was third string? You're making no sense, again.

So they brought in Zorn for Campbell? Brilliant. Forget wanting to win, Zorn was brought in to develop Campbell. Makes a ton of sense.

:doh:

JC never competed. Ramsey was traded to the Jets. JC moved from 3rd to 2nd string. TC was brought in to have a QB on the roster that was familiar with Saunders. There was also a weird definition of who the backup would be depending on how long the replacement would need to play.

TC outperformed JC and when Brunell didn't pan out in 2006, the Redskins decided to give JC the start to find out what they had in the 1st rd pick they moved up to get. It wasn't about getting wins at the end of 2006.

In 2007, there was no competition. JC continued as starter after he was handed the job in 2006. Following his injury and TC's performance, there was an expectation of open competition in 2008.

Vinny and Dan hired Zorn specifically to tutor Campbell. Because of the move prior to hiring a HC and the fact that they passed over Gregg Williams and Saunders, no one else would take the job. Zorn was promoted from OC to head coach by default.

He named JC the starter within a couple of weeks of being hired because that is why he was hired.So no JC has never competed for anything in the NFL.

The guy is entering his 5th year and he talks about wanting to be become a team leader or improving in some areas etc. Look at the article with Colt's comments. He has the attitude of a winner. Talks about proving to be among the best in the NFL.

Well if that's the case CB5 looked a lot better then TC last year, in preseason. Yet no change. Do you think if CD or CB5 play better then JC or TC in preseason they would make a change ? Zorn has been working with JC since the wedding last year. Do you think with all the FO and JZ has invested in JC they would have the guts to make that change. I predect even if CB5 gets 500 YDs and 5 TDS in preseason. They still will find a reason not to play him. Its just hard to admit that they might of payed to much for this first round pick. I realy think if they played both players with the same first string. That you would have a hard time telling who the first rounder was between them, Even thow one has 3 years in the NFL and the other 1 year.

Preaseason games are bull****.

I think they factor maybe 10 percent into who makes the team.

How can you not get the feeling that Colt Brennan is the Redskins version of Tony Romo sits to pee? Romo sits to pee got his chance, after 4 years of not getting on the field, because Drew Bledsoe was so terrible. Romo sits to pee came in and injected instant life into the Cowboys offense. Brennan's mobility and gunslinger mentality is going to do the same thing for the Skins some day.

Funny when you think about Brady & Romo sits to pee... the thing they both have in common was they got their chance from Bledsoe... one was due to injury, the other was due to the fact that Parcells had seen enough. :logo:

JC never competed. Ramsey was traded to the Jets. JC moved from 3rd to 2nd string. TC was brought in to have a QB on the roster that was familiar with Saunders. There was also a weird definition of who the backup would be depending on how long the replacement would need to play.

TC outperformed JC and when Brunell didn't pan out in 2006, the Redskins decided to give JC the start to find out what they had in the 1st rd pick they moved up to get. It wasn't about getting wins at the end of 2006.

In 2007, there was no competition. JC continued as starter after he was handed the job in 2006. Following his injury and TC's performance, there was an expectation of open competition in 2008.

Vinny and Dan hired Zorn specifically to tutor Campbell. Because of the move prior to hiring a HC and the fact that they passed over Gregg Williams and Saunders, no one else would take the job. Zorn was promoted from OC to head coach by default.

He named JC the starter within a couple of weeks of being hired because that is why he was hired.So no JC has never competed for anything in the NFL.

The guy is entering his 5th year and he talks about wanting to be become a team leader or improving in some areas etc. Look at the article with Colt's comments. He has the attitude of a winner. Talks about proving to be among the best in the NFL.

I guess that I just fundamentally disagree that there is not ALWAYS a competition. A player is in his position because the coaches have determined that he should be. I think that a lot of fans, myself included, often forget that the coaching staff and front office want to win a hell of a lot more than we do. There is absolutely no reason to start anyone who doesn't deserve the job.

Simply put, Brennan is not better than Campbell. Collins is not better than Campbell. If either of them were, then they would be starting.

Talk is cheap for Campbell and it's cheap for Brennan. No player is ever going to say, "Well shucks, I mean gee golly I think that I might be a good backup." They're ALL going to say that they're the best and they honestly believe that or else they wouldn't have made it to the NFL in the first place.

I guess that I just fundamentally disagree that there is not ALWAYS a competition. A player is in his position because the coaches have determined that he should be. I think that a lot of fans, myself included, often forget that the coaching staff and front office want to win a hell of a lot more than we do. There is absolutely no reason to start anyone who doesn't deserve the job.

Simply put, Brennan is not better than Campbell. Collins is not better than Campbell. If either of them were, then they would be starting.

Talk is cheap for Campbell and it's cheap for Brennan. No player is ever going to say, "Well shucks, I mean gee golly I think that I might be a good backup." They're ALL going to say that they're the best and they honestly believe that or else they wouldn't have made it to the NFL in the first place.

Tom Brady is worse than Bledsoe? Favre is worse than Jeff George? Romo sits to pee is worse than Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson?

Your analysis that a player starts because he is better than the guy behind him is not accurate. Specifically regarding the QB position, there are a lot of factors involved in who starts beyond which player is better in practice.

Coaches and GM's care about keeping their jobs more than anything else typically. Winning games is a major part of that goal. However, taking risks and losing games will cost a coach or GM his kob more than losing games alone.

Coaches know their careers might ride on the performance of the QB and they are typically not going to start a 6th rd pick over a young 1st rd pick the team has invested in. Similarly, a coach is typically not going to rely on guy that has failed elsewhere regardless of what those circumstances were.

Tom Brady is worse than Bledsoe? Favre is worse than Jeff George? Romo sits to pee is worse than Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson?

Your analysis that a player starts because he is better than the guy behind him is not accurate. Specifically regarding the QB position, there are a lot of factors involved in who starts beyond which player is better in practice.

Coaches and GM's care about keeping their jobs more than anything else typically. Winning games is a major part of that goal. However, taking risks and losing games will cost a coach or GM his kob more than losing games alone.

Coaches know their careers might ride on the performance of the QB and they are typically not going to start a 6th rd pick over a young 1st rd pick the team has invested in. Similarly, a coach is typically not going to rely on guy that has failed elsewhere regardless of what those circumstances were.

I see your point. Maybe it's not as cut and dry as I had stated. However, I still think that Brennan has too many knocks on him and Campbell has too many positives to start Brennan. Also, the examples you gave, while valid, are the exception, not the rule.

Todd Collins was evidently the best quarterback we could have used when Al Saunders was the offensive coordinator here.

Why wasn't he the starter? Did Jason Campbell beat him in open competition and prove that he was the best man? Perhaps Jason was given the nod as starter because of how much we invested in him, regardless of whether or not he deserved to start.

I seriously doubt there will be an open competition for the starters job. Everything I've read and heard indicates that Campbell has a lock on it.

But I hope Zorn will give Brennan a chance to compete for the second spot. If Colt is ever going to become NFL ready, he needs to be getting more reps with the first and second teams and the only way he will get them is if he is the number two guy. The QB3 spends most of practice with the scout team or taking "mental reps."

Coach Zorn has said this many times and I believe it is still true- Colt could compete for the #2 slot this year. He has to work his way up the food chain if he wants to have a chance at the regular season. Makes sense.

I want to see him win #2 by the time the season starts. That is a reasonable expectation given that he is now healthy and hungry!

Coach Zorn has said this many times and I believe it is still true- Colt could compete for the #2 slot this year. He has to work his way up the food chain if he wants to have a chance at the regular season. Makes sense.

I want to see him win #2 by the time the season starts. That is a reasonable expectation given that he is now healthy and hungry!

But our #2 is far better than the guy starting. So if he beats out TC, no reason why he shouldn't start.

I guess that I just fundamentally disagree that there is not ALWAYS a competition. A player is in his position because the coaches have determined that he should be.

Or, the front office gave up two first rounders, and a 4th to get Campbell and the order came down from above that Campbell was to be the starter.

Signed,

Joe Gibbs

Or, the front office gave up two first rounders, and a 4th to get Campbell and the order came down from above that Campbell was to be the starter.

Signed,

Joe Gibbs

I do think that money and investment plays a role. But Joe Gibbs had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the idea of playing Campbell all while Brunell was arguably the worst starting QB in the NFL.

From what I've seen, Zorn is still working on Colt's throwing motion and movement in the pocket, I believe the word prancing was used? If Zorn's focusing on mechanics, then he must be comfortable with Colt's ability to learn the playbook and execute. He's a year 2 QB and well on his way towards getting a chance to be a starter I think.

Archived