Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Williams a Guard?

Annonymous Source

I just want to take a quick look at how many fans would consider this move favourable. I personally like it because he probably wont be ready to play the edge by the start of the season, but with his size and strength as well as athleticism (you cant be the #4 pick in the draft without some) he could dominate people at RG if Randy Thomas cant play.

what are your thoughts?

I'd be for it. Just look at Leonard Davis. Similar size, similar draft status, similar performance in not living up to expectations.

If he can make that transition, I think he could be effective.

I've actually argued in favor of kicking Dockery out to tackle. I remember when we first drafted Dockery, a lot of pundits were saying that he could be a replacement at LT to Samuels down the line, citing he had the size and athleticism to do it. At 6'6, 330, he looks the part of a tackle. If Mike Williams can be more effective at guard than tackle, move him inside.

LT: C. Samuels, S. Heyer

LG: M. Williams, D. Clark

C: C. Rabach, E. Williams

RG: R. Thomas, C. Rinehart

RT: D. Dockery, J. Jansen

That depth there doesn't look terrible to me, provided Williams and Dockery can pan out, which is a giant "if". We'll have to make moves at all OL positions sometime next offseason, but if these guys can transition well into new positions next season, we might be able to be effective enough up front to put up some points.

Thoughts?

I don't think so. We need our guards to be depended on to pull, and while Big Mike might be athletic for his size, or was athletic in his draft year, I'm not sure he can do it a bunch of plays in a game, throughout the year. Whatever Williams did in the past doesn't really count since he's been out of the league for a while and isn't in the same shape-- and probably will never be in the same shape-- as he used to be. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but we need to consider what he is now: a big guy. His goal weight is 360-370, and I'm not sure anyone can run around a lot who is that big.

If I'm wrong and he can move around, the have him play guard, but I'm not sure it's gonna happen.

I can't imagine Big Mike trying to pull into open space.

More importantly, I think it would stunt the growth of Rhineheart. Plain and simple we are counting on the dude to improve and become starting material. If Dock or Randy Thomas go down it needs to be this kids shot.

When Jansen went down a few years back we were forced let Heyer play and boy did he end up much better then we hoped. If injury brings it, I'd much rather put in our natural guard who we are counting on to be the heir apparent then try and convert Big Mike to a position we aren't even intending for him to play.

That said, if he fails to drop all the weight he needs to play tackle then maybe we try him at guard and see if it will work then. But until then, he needs to focus on losing the weight and staying at tackle.The guy's get enough going on without trying to learn a new position.

that's what I thought from the jump because his weight has gotten so high. his lateral movement has to be seriously hampered at this point, so guard seems like a more logical spot than right tackle, he can just drive forward as a guard, instead of sliding out while trying to get in front of a defensive end when he's at tackle.

I don't think so. We need our guards to be depended on to pull, and while Big Mike might be athletic for his size, or was athletic in his draft year, I'm not sure he can do it a bunch of plays in a game, throughout the year. Whatever Williams did in the past doesn't really count since he's been out of the league for a while and isn't in the same shape-- and probably will never be in the same shape-- as he used to be. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but we need to consider what he is now: a big guy. His goal weight is 360-370, and I'm not sure anyone can run around a lot who is that big.

If I'm wrong and he can move around, the have him play guard, but I'm not sure it's gonna happen.

We really dont pull our guards very often. Our run blocking scheme is usually a strict zone blocking which means that all O-Linemen shift in one direction after the snap and stretch the defenders to create a hole. This blocking scheme is more in keeping with quicker blockers, but it isnt as tough on guards as pulling.

As to your first point, if he isnt in shape enough to play guard, then he definitly will not be in shape enough to play tackle. If he cant be relied upon for either position, then cut him and keep a young guy with upside. If all else fails he could be back next year to give it a try again;)

Ehhh.

I don't think he would be able to pull that effectively. And if we were to put him in on non-pull situations, that's kind of a dead give-away.

Now the real question is, could the dude play center? It would be like guard. He could maul straight ahead on running downs and essentially just eat up space in the middle on passing downs. I'm not sure how smart the guy is and if he can be taught the calls. It would certainly be a move that would take longer than a single season, but if the man can learn the calls and learn to snap I see that as much more beneficial.

That said, I think this is only a solution IF he fails to drop the weight and be a tackle. He is more useful at a tackle if he can succeed in getting to that point and I still think that should be his first objective.

We really dont pull our guards very often. Our run blocking scheme is usually a strict zone blocking which means that all O-Linemen shift in one direction after the snap and stretch the defenders to create a hole. This blocking scheme is more in keeping with quicker blockers, but it isnt as tough on guards as pulling.

True, especially since we use a FB more often than a lot of teams now. I'm not opposed to it (as if my opinions matters anyway:P ), but I do question the durability of Williams. That has more to do with him playing at all than what position. I trust the coaches to make the right decision on this one, but I do wish we had more options available than what the FO gave us.

I am glad to see someone else sees the comparison there. If he could become a factor at RT I would be ecstatic, but reasonably I think that he could make the switch and the team would probably be better off for it.

sorry about that post. I just realized that i forgot to put the name in there. I am talking about Leonard Davis. He was drafted as a big tackle, and he has now shifted to Guard.

sorry about that post. I just realized that i forgot to put the name in there. I am talking about Leonard Davis. He was drafted as a big tackle, and he has now shifted to Guard.

yea, should we write Vinny a letter, or would it be pointless because he might not be able to read??

WOW, all the junior coaches and madden players are out on this thread.

Do any of you even realize that guards don't P-U-L-L on every play or even on every other play...in fact once per quarter is a good bit of pulling.

Are you discounting a possible beast of a guard simply because sometime in the 2nd quarter his pulling on one play is not going to be what you expected it to be? Fine. PULL him out for a play, and then put him back in.

Geeeesh fellas. Some of you can become totally myopic at times and when you begin to focus on only one thing, it obliterates the part of your brain which creates the Big Picture.

WOW, all the junior coaches and madden players are out on this thread.

Do any of you even realize that guards don't P-U-L-L on every play or even on every other play...in fact once per quarter is a good bit of pulling.

Are you discounting a possible beast of a guard simply because sometime in the 2nd quarter his pulling on one play is not going to be what you expected it to be? Fine. PULL him out for a play, and then put him back in.

Geeeesh fellas. Some of you can become totally myopic at times and when you begin to focus on only one thing, it obliterates the part of your brain which creates the Big Picture.

NFL Guards do need to be able to pull tho...

The Redskin offense has minimized this tactic, and the real question is would he be sufficently talented to provide depth at the position and possibly replace Thomas down the road when injuries or age catch up to him.

I think that with his size and power he would be intimidating at RG for people. that would give us two mauling athletic guards who can intimidate and wear down the defense over the course of games.

Mike is a tackle. He can play the ORT no problem once he gets his weight down (or at least, he could have done once). He played ORT his whole career at Texas, guarding the blind side of a leftie QB. He is very light on his feet for a man the size of a bus.

I think Rhino coming into his second season is being geared towards being Thomas replacement. Im more interested in a long term solution and Rhino is it. Big Mike is just that another big project with a lot of "IFS" thrown in. I hope he does shed the weight because RT is our sore spot. IMO Heyer would not start for any other team in the NFL. Jansen worked hard in the offseason to take his starting slot back, but his best days are behind him. I hope that Mike Williams does work out because we would have a monster line and would be able to run to either side.

Regardless of where we end up playing these new additions, I like the talent we're assembling at OL this off-season. We're being creative in trying to supplement the aging talent that we have.

We seem to be allergic to drafting OL, so given that limitation, we've acquired some intriguing prospects that might just help us be a little better than last year.

Mike is a tackle. He can play the ORT no problem once he gets his weight down (or at least, he could have done once). He played ORT his whole career at Texas, guarding the blind side of a leftie QB. He is very light on his feet for a man the size of a bus.

I agree. Why mess with a guy who already has limited value? Let him do what he does best and see if he can't in shape to the point where he can actually challenge for the job.

Archived