Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Williams a Guard?

Annonymous Source

Gibbs liked to pull alot, especially back in the 80's. When dock was here, he was our best pulling guard. I look forward to that continuing, but I dont recall us pulling alot last year under zorn.

I like MW, hope he makes the team, but not at the detriment to a younger player who may play just as well.

Also, it takes alot of athleticism for a tackle to not get beat around the corner by a DE, would seem comparable to a guard pulling on a run play.

Heck, why not just go ahead and try him at fullback?? Hey, the guy hasn't played in three years and is going to be behind the curve playing a position he's used to, much less a new position. If he works out at RT I'll be ecstatic but I'm not holding my breath.

Do any of you even realize that guards don't P-U-L-L on every play or even on every other play...in fact once per quarter is a good bit of pulling.

\.

dear lawd thank you we are not the friggin lombardi packers, we dont run the buck sweep, most of our pulling is short area, the match ups are far more favourable on the inside than outside, why do u think athletic tackles are so coveted. Mike Williams is a perfect Right Guard. most people only follow the ball. his ability to anchor is exactly what you want for pass pro in the middle, and his gerth would be ideal for inside zone. Mike can fully handle the little pulling we do. :chair:

since we apparently have nobody good backing up Thomas, and Williams seems more suited for Guard than Tackle, then I'd say Yes.

Well now thats the thing. Nobody good was apparently backing up Trent Green in St. Louis until a nobody named Kurt Warner got a shot. And last year, nobody "good" was backing up Brady in New England until he went down and some unknown guy named Cassell got a shot.

So ya just never know. Chad Rinehart was a 3rd round pick and Bugel was down on him but is apparently a bit higher on him. Rinehart has an attitude and he has plenty of weight and talent. If he can now get an opportunity to make the squad and learn behind Thomas, he may end up being a starter in 2010.

Of course Mike Williams is also in the mix. If he gets to 350, then he would

be in shape to play a whole game without tiring. He could easily play at 375 and for any individual play he might plow ahead and help the run game, but he would probably wear down over time. That is a lot of weight to be pushing around. Still I would be happy if we compromised and he got to 360 and became the backup for Thomas and Dockery.

I feel we will be in great shape at guard within 3 months. I am still worried about CENTER.

Archived