Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Both on the Board at #13 - Sanchez Vs. Orakpo?

Reaganaut

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't like the QBs next year as much as Sanchez outside of Bradford. McCoy looks alright too but I think his upside is no where near Sanchez's. I'm not a huge fan of Jevan Snead or Tebow.

Oh well, we got our consolation prize, and what I really hope happens is that Campbell lights it up this year. There are a ton of fantastic defensive prospects next year, and it would be awesome to grab Eric Berry somehow. He looks like the next Sean Taylor/Laron Landry style safety. Then we'd have our safety tandem. The only problem is that I think he's a strong safety and that's where Landry needs to be playing.

And there are a lot of terrific tackle prospects next year too.

This board is going to be highly homerific and pick Orakpo. That's a given.

However, if you are sitting at 13 and when you have a chance to take possibly the best QB in the draft and you haven't had a franchise QB on the roster since Joey Sunshine in 1985, you take him.

You have to ask yourself why this is a "homerific" pick for the Skins. The guy hasn't even signed a contract yet. What if he holds out? So, I'm not sure it's as much of a "homerific" pick as one that fits like a glove so he has been embraced within a matter of seconds. I was at the stadium when the Sanchez pick was announced to the Jets. People were on their feet cheering. When Orakpo was picked a dude ran up to me and bear hugged me. So, I'm not sure if this is a homer pick.

We've been burned by first round quarterback "sure things" before and it was very painful. We watched as Gus Frerotte eclipsed Schuler and then ran head first into a cement wall. We then watched Todd Collins single handedly take the team to the playoffs after watching a lackluster performance by Campbell which continued after he took back over. So, we're jaded towards Sanchez. He's no Peyton Manning. I'm sure the poll results would be 80% in favor of Peyton over Orakpo if the circumstances were reversed.

Gimme Orakpo @ #13 all day.

You should've made this poll public Reagan.

I'll make mine public. I voted for Sanchez. :)

We wouldn't have had to give up extra picks to get Sanchez at #13. The OP was saying who would you take at #13. We'd have a franchise QB who would be cheaper than picking him in the top 10. That's hard to pass up.

Quoted for truth.

This board is going to be highly homerific and pick Orakpo. That's a given.

However, if you are sitting at 13 and when you have a chance to take possibly the best QB in the draft and you haven't had a franchise QB on the roster since Joey Sunshine in 1985, you take him.

Some people are saying that it's been a long time since we have had a dominant pass rush but it seems like forever since we have had even a competent quarterback.

Can't hide votes that way and the question should have been.

Who do you think the FO would have drafted?

It's not even a question as to who the front office would have drafted. If both players were available at 13, Mark Sanchez would be a Washington Redskin.

We took Orakpo, so everyone is going to say Orakpo because this is homer central.

But without a doubt, it has to be Sanchez there. And I'm positive the team would have taken Sanchez. Snyder has screwed up a lot. But if he had an opportunity for a franchise QB (in an off-season where we have tried to trade for one and are refusing to even discuss extending JC) and passed on it, it would have been his greatest mistake.

If there was any sanity, this poll would be 100% for Sanchez. It would have been a blood bath in the media if we passed on Sanchez for Orakpo.

We took Orakpo, so everyone is going to say Orakpo because this is homer central.

But without a doubt, it has to be Sanchez there. And I'm positive the team would have taken Sanchez. Snyder has screwed up a lot. But if he had an opportunity for a franchise QB (in an off-season where we have tried to trade for one and are refusing to even discuss extending JC) and passed on it, it would have been his greatest mistake.

If there was any sanity, this poll would be 100% for Sanchez. It would have been a blood bath in the media if we passed on Sanchez for Orakpo.

Again, "homer central" what does that mean exactly? Why is Orakpo a "homer" any more than Sanchez? Orakpo isn't even signed yet.

Ask ANYONE who was at FedEx Field on Saturday. The stadium cheered when Sanchez was picked by the Jets. People were cheering even louder when Orakpo was selected. One dude bear hugged me on the spot. So, he was a "homer" then? Try that a year from now, it ain't flying today.

As for the media killing the Skins, no way. The only way it looks remotely like that is if the Skins passed on Peyton Manning for Orakpo. Sanchez ain't no Peyton Manning. He's a USC system QB like Matt Leinart. Last time I checked Kurt Warner was the starting QB in Arizona.

It depends. If the coaches take away Orakpo's development time at DE to try and see if he can fit at SAM, then he becomes some tweener that can't do anything right, then I'd say Sanchez would be the better fit, as they can't try to make him into something else.

It depends. If the coaches take away Orakpo's development time at DE to try and see if he can fit at SAM, then he becomes some tweener that can't do anything right, then I'd say Sanchez would be the better fit, as they can't try to make him into something else.

Seriously? are you serious? Blache is that stupid?

The most they're gonna do with this kid is install some 3-4 packages with him at linebacker and Haynesworth at nose to confuse defenses even more. No, Blache is a virtuoso with defenses don't fool yourself. The man had a rag tag group of linemen over the past several years and managed to turn in top ten performances with them. He was the defensive line coach before last year and there's none better in the league. I trust Blache.

Sanchez may end up being very good, but it's a gamble for NYC. They got burned by Pennington. They got burned by Favre. Now all their hopes are on Sanchez. What if he turns out to be Matt Leinart or worse yet Heath Schuler? So the Skins take that risk and blow up any possibility of a reconciliation with Campbell if things do change drastically next year.

Again, "homer central" what does that mean exactly? Why is Orakpo a "homer" any more than Sanchez? Orakpo isn't even signed yet.

Because we didn't get Sanchez, we got Orakpo. Around here, anyone we have is great, and anyone we don't have sucks... until they become available, in which case we might stipulate them being good.

Hell, you just did it by discounting Sanchez.

The team tried to get Sanchez. So for a homer to admit that Sanchez would be a better pick would be a tacit acknowledgment that we got the less desirable player or perhaps that the team failed to get who they wanted. Homers instead want to take the position that Orakpo was the greatest player in the draft, and we wanted him over everyone. And to the extent it might have appeared otherwise, its only because we were manipulating everyone so that we could really get the best player in the draft.

Moreover, saying we should get Sanchez reflects negatively on JC, which is another homer no-no.

That mindset runs rampant here. Which is why the poll ABSURDLY is so heavily favored towards Orakpo.

Look, I love the Orakpo pick, and I'm excited to see what he can do. But if anyone has a shred of intellectual integrity, they would admit that Sanchez would be the pick over Orakpo and that the team would do that too. But that's ok. We drafted #13. We can't be expected to have gotten the #1 player, and we didn't. But we did get a very exciting player with the potential to help out.

Some people are saying that it's been a long time since we have had a dominant pass rush but it seems like forever since we have had even a competent quarterback.

It's not even a question as to who the front office would have drafted. If both players were available at 13, Mark Sanchez would be a Washington Redskin.

I will go along with that. I wasn't really interested in what the front office was going to do. I wondered what ES fans would do. We all know that Lord Farquaad would take the dude from USC, so it's basically a moot point.

I'm not convinced that Sanchez is the next Big Ben or Peyton, or even Eli. I'd rather stick it out one more year with Campbell and try Colt after that. If Colt bombs out then it's to the draft.

Depends on how you want the question answered.

If Mark Sanchez is a bust and Orakpo is a Hall of Famer, I'd prefer Orakpo. If Orakpo is a bust and Sanchez is a Hall of Famer, I'd prefer Sanchez. If both are busts, I'd prefer Orakpo as it's easier to get yourself out of a defensive end disaster than a QB disaster.

Now, if BOTH are Hall of Famers, who would you prefer?

Put that poll up and if it's not 80 for Sanchez and 20 from idiots, I'd be stunned.

If Mark Sanchez is a bust and Orakpo is a Hall of Famer, I'd prefer Orakpo. If Orakpo is a bust and Sanchez is a Hall of Famer, I'd prefer Sanchez. If both are busts, I'd prefer Orakpo as it's easier to get yourself out of a defensive end disaster than a QB disaster.

Put that poll up and if it's not 80 for Sanchez and 20 from idiots, I'd be stunned.

Actually, I'd be surprised if the people here didn't still vote for Orakpo in that last scenario.

Actually, I'd be surprised if the people here didn't still vote for Orakpo in that last scenario.

You underestimate them then, because, they seriously aren't that dumb. A Hall of Fame QB is the most valuable position in football. Everyone here knows that and they'd admit it. And BECAUSE they'd admit it, it means they don't actually mean Orakpo when they voted for him earlier, because EVERY draft pick made by every team is made with the hope they become the best at their position.

And if you ask yourself WHICH position you'd rather have the best player at, you'd answer QB, all day, every day. Everyone here would.

Ok, I'll take that bait. :evilg:

Michael Strahan is a HOF DE. He went to Superbowls with Kerry Collins and Eli Manning. Neither of them are HOF caliber quarterbacks. Peyton Manning is a HOF caliber QB and he didn't start winning big time until Feeney came along. I'm not sure it takes a HOF quarterback to win a Superbowl these days. What about Baltimore?

So, I'm not so sure it's that clear cut about having a HOF quarterback to where you can use the term "eeeediot" on the 20%ers like me who MIGHT answer HOF Defensive End after some soul searching.

At 13, Sanchez in a heartbeat. We are going to end up drafting a quarterback next year and more than likely it is going to cost us a fortune if we have to trade for a lower pick.

This is the correct answer. Politically it makes sense to to Orakpo here because of the money we paid Hanyesworth however the player who would have contributed more into the long term success of the team would have been Sanchez. We will be drafting a QB next year for sure so had we taken Sanchez we would have had a jump on that. I bet we will have a higher pick next season then 13. I don't hate that we didn't get Sanchez because of what the Jets gave up for him, but I do wish we had gotten him. Its much easier to get a pass rusher then a franchise QB

You underestimate them then, because, they seriously aren't that dumb. A Hall of Fame QB is the most valuable position in football. Everyone here knows that and they'd admit it. And BECAUSE they'd admit it, it means they don't actually mean Orakpo when they voted for him earlier, because EVERY draft pick made by every team is made with the hope they become the best at their position.

And if you ask yourself WHICH position you'd rather have the best player at, you'd answer QB, all day, every day. Everyone here would.

QFT, good post Art

This is the correct answer. Politically it makes sense to to Orakpo here because of the money we paid Hanyesworth however the player who would have contributed more into the long term success of the team would have been Sanchez. We will be drafting a QB next year for sure so had we taken Sanchez we would have had a jump on that. I bet we will have a higher pick next season then 13. I don't hate that we didn't get Sanchez because of what the Jets gave up for him, but I do wish we had gotten him. Its much easier to get a pass rusher then a franchise QB

...unless Sanchez turns out to be a bust.

I guess the same could be said about Orakpo, but I think there's less bust potential for him. I was never really all that impressed with Sanchez.

You have Reagan in your name. I expect more of you.

If you seriously do not know that an elite QB is the most important position in football, you really, really, really need to evaluate whether you've been wasting a lot of time watching something you clearly don't understand :).

I'm sorry, but, there are some things that no one doubts and to doubt the undoubtable makes me worry.

You can win a Super Bowl in a number of ways. The Colts started winning when Dungy came in and Peyton was a .500 QB up to that point, with two great team years and two horrid team years. Belichick was about to be terminated and was on his way to another double-digit loss season when Tom Brady appeared.

Teams are consistently high performing with elite level QBs. Even the Eagles with McNabb and so little talent around him for some time on offense found a way to win because of his impact. A defensive end is generally considered the third or fourth most important position on the field behind QB and OT who protects the QB. Then it's either DE or CB depending on your flavor.

Michael Strahan. Hall of Fame Defensive End.

Brett Favre. Hall of Fame Quarterback.

Look at the success of the Giants vs. Green Bay over the past ten years. It's been spotty on both teams. So how can it be as clear cut as you are stating it? I think it's more like 60/40 in favor of a QB and that may be generous.

Archived