Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Both on the Board at #13 - Sanchez Vs. Orakpo?

Reaganaut

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

(Update with 155 responses: 80% Orakpo / 20% Sanchez exactly) These numbers have been steady.

The way I ultimately read this poll is that Mark Sanchez is too big a risk compared to a monster defensive end like Orakpo. I think that people are gun shy after trading so much for Campbell and could still be slightly biased because of the belief that Sanchez was talked about as a trade based (expensive) choice. Even correcting for the # 13 equality of the picks as I framed this, there is likely a residual negative feeling toward Sanchez. I'd give that about a 10 point residual bias against Sanchez.

Also, the Redskins have had very good luck with defensive high picks over the Dan Snyder era. Orakpo probably reminds people of the Taylor pick, in that he looks like he could be the top pick in the draft. So, people are less likely to suspect the judgement of Lord Farquaad and Prince Charming on high defensive picks. Their high offensive picks have all busted with the exception of Chris Samuels. I'd give that about a 20 point bias factor against Sanchez because the Redskins are barely average offensive talent evaluators.

I'd also give Sanchez another 10 points because Orakpo is a lineman and we haven't drafted a D-Line guy in the first round for so long, half ES members weren't born at the time. I'm not going to get into racism, but there might be a couple points against Sanchez there which I won't account for since we are such a racially harmonic group of fans. (Seriously) I also completely discount "homerism" because he's not even signed yet. How can you be a "homer" when we only learned of the pick on Saturday?

So, if you take the bias I see out of this we get to 60% Sanchez and 40% Orakpo which is probably about right given the strength of the position all other factors being equal. It's my belief that a Quarterback and Defensive End of equal ability should push a poll to 60/40 on relative value. None of us know how good these two players are going to be, but everyone had them both in the top ten.

Update: Now I've done it... I picked a tiff with Art on this. He's busy dismantling me on the relative value of a QB vs. DE. I'm like a WWII destroyer who just got hit with a Torpedo and am taking on water. "May Day! May Day! This is the USS Reaganaut... I've been hit and am taking on water... please send lifeboat... plea.. sen... oat! Arrrrrrr...gurgle... gurgle"

Update update: "This is the USS Reaganaut... I just remembered Jim Kelly is a Hall of Famer... So is Bruce Smith... Who would you pick in the draft? NOOOOO! Aaaaaaaaagggggg... the sharks are coming... back Art. Get Back or I'll poke you in the eye... gurgle gurgle..."

Art, I'd take Jim Kelly HOF Quarterback over Brian Orakpo. Not Smith, but Orakpo unproven yes.

Great question.

I opened this thread and said "Ooooooo" :laugh:

Hmmm.....this won't be liked, but I'm going with Sanchez.

Thanks. Thought it would be interesting to really find out. I think that quarterbacks in the first round are too big of a risk. (Jason Campbell good example.) I think that Sanchez is just as big a risk. Orakpo could shore up our line for ages. Lineman translate very well to the NFL, QBs do not.

Thanks. Thought it would be interesting to really find out. I think that quarterbacks in the first round are too big of a risk. (Jason Campbell good example.) I think that Sanchez is just as big a risk. Orakpo could shore up our line for ages. Lineman translate very well to the NFL, QBs do not.

Jason is not a good example. The Skins traded back into the first round to get him at number 25 after selecting Carlos earlier. Had the Skins not moved Jason more than likely would have been a 2nd round pick.

Have to go with Orakpo, not for value's sake but for NFL potential. You see it too often these days where QBs hyped and drafted early in the first round get the big pay day and then can't live up to their potential. A lineman is a safer pick and are very similar from college to the NFL. At the QB you've got a lot more variables and a VERY difficult transition no matter where they played at and what round they were picked in.

Ryan and Flacco last year were pure flukes and not like to be seen for another 20 years (ok...maybe next year with the strong QB class coming out in 2010 and an uncapped season we could potentially see it in DC...but it would still be a fluke).

Orakpo...He makes our defense that much better if he pans out. If he plays like I know he can, then Orakpo, Haynesworth, and Carter will cause havoc on opposing offenses. Griffin isn't a pushover either, and neither are our other two DT's. Our D line went from being a weakness to a strength in one offseason...He completely disrupts an offense and forces mistakes (especially next to Big Al), which will make our #4 D even better because we will finally be able to get turnovers. You guys might think I am crazy, but I see our D being more like the Ravens next year, some people dont realize how much a dominant DT can do for your defensive ends. We have a dominant DT, and now we ALSO have Orakpo...boy oh boy...

When you get turnovers on D it will help out our O alot, it will put us in better position to score...and sometimes our Defense might even be able to score on its own.

And I am sorry, but I am not ready to give up on Jason yet. He showed what he could do with a good line, he played lights out...he is a class act, and he is tough and wants to win. I think this being his second year in the offense, with a slightly improved O-line and our young wide recievers progressing, will make him play alot better. To go along with this D that will be AMAZING imo. I know Redskins' fans are born pessimistic =P, but I think we have alot to be excited about this year.

Not necessarily. Lately lineman haven't had the best time translating into the NFL. Remember Jamaal Anderson who everyone was pissed we didn't get instead of Landry? He's started 32 games and has two sacks. Gaines Adams has only had 6 and 6.5.

Sanchez is a very pro ready QB with all the intangibles you look for. I think he was worth the risk. Are QBs always worth the risk? Absolutely not. I think Sanchez is going to be something special though.

Orakpo was my #2 behind Sanchez. I'm very happy we got him.

I would take Orakpo in less than 15 seconds even with Sanchez on the board. We have needed a DE for so long and even with Campbell in the last year of his contract, you at least have to give him the year to prove that he deserves to get a new contract and be the franchise QB of this team.

Not necessarily. Lately lineman haven't had the best time translating into the NFL. Remember Jamaal Anderson who everyone was pissed we didn't get instead of Landry? He's started 32 games and has two sacks. Gaines Adams has only had 6 and 6.5.

Sanchez is a very pro ready QB with all the intangibles you look for. I think he was worth the risk. Are QBs always worth the risk? Absolutely not. I think Sanchez is going to be something special though.

Orakpo was my #2 behind Sanchez. I'm very happy we got him.

Peyton Manning was something special... I'm not so sure about Sanchez. Sanchez had a lot of talent around him making him look better. Look at the track record of USC quarterbacks over the years... No, not a sure thing at all in my mind.

Ask anyone about lineman translating better to the NFL than other positions. There's strong agreement amongst experts on this, so this isn't my opinion. You can bring up examples where lineman didn't work out all day, but the percentages don't lie.

As much as I like Orakpo, it's hard to pass up a potential franchise QB at #13.

How about a franchise quarterback at #17 where we give up next year's first rounder? Oh, that's right we got our potential "franchise" quarterback with the same deal. Sorry, not falling in love anymore with Quarterbacks.

How about a franchise quarterback at #17 where we give up next year's first rounder? Oh, that's right we got our potential "franchise" quarterback with the same deal. Sorry, not falling in love anymore with Quarterbacks.

We wouldn't have had to give up extra picks to get Sanchez at #13. The OP was saying who would you take at #13. We'd have a franchise QB who would be cheaper than picking him in the top 10. That's hard to pass up.

This board is going to be highly homerific and pick Orakpo. That's a given.

However, if you are sitting at 13 and when you have a chance to take possibly the best QB in the draft and you haven't had a franchise QB on the roster since Joey Sunshine in 1985, you take him.

I voted Orakpo.... but I would not have scoffed if we took Sanchez.... at #13. I was only swung because Sanchez required a draft day move to get. Orakpo will be good for us, but Sanchez may have been good too. But the way we don't even give Collins or Brennan a shot to compete.... we probably would have screwed up his situation somehow.

And for all the people who will chime in and say "I am sure the coaches, scouts and players all know more than you about football so your opinion is worthless." I would like to remind you of how all that knowledge and experience has fielded us such great QBs that helped carry the team past the regular season and further in the last 18 years. Stellar decision making, huh?

Archived