Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reid says Peters is best OLT in football

DWinzit

Eagles coach Andy Reid said Saturday that the recently acquired Jason Peters is "the best left tackle in football".

Peters didn't play anywhere close to that level last season, but the 27-year-old is undoubtedly an elite talent and has the potential dominate over the length of his six-year deal. It's clear that the Eagles liked Peters better than anyone they could have selected in the draft.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

If he said it prior to the 2008 season, he might not had gotten much of an argument. During the two previous seasons, Peters gave up 1.5 sacks TOTAL. Everyone knows how a demotivated, out of shape Peters fared in 2008.

Reid fell in love with this guy during the last few years. I still love the move simply because:

1) This isn't a trade for a guy with potential. Peters has simply dominated at the NFL level. We know what he is capable of doing. I'll take that for the 28th pick.

2) Trading for him allows the Eagles to use 21 for a skill position player.

3) The Eagles OL averages 331 lbs.

I think your numbers are wrong, ArmchairRedskin. First, the NFL doesn't have official stats on sacks given up. Second, you are just repeating a number you seen somewhere on the internet.

Where are you getting your numbers from? How'd you get your numbers if the NFL doesn't record those stats?

];6330670']Where are you getting your numbers from? How'd you get your numbers if the NFL doesn't record those stats?

On the Eagles messageboard, people who are bigger losers than me have broken down each game he has played and posted videos of all the sacks he supposedly gave up.

I guess at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. 2009 is all that matters and we pretty much got Peters, Demps, Trevor Laws and Mike McGlynn for Jeff Otah a 4th and a 6th.

Chris Mortenson said on the radio this morning that the Eagles pulled off the best NFL offseason move in the last 5 years.

I don't know how this guy is going to be but Andy Reid is normally pretty good at evaluating lineman; save Justice.

The Eagles organization, for being so cheap, laid down 100m to replace their two aging tackles. Their starting tackles are now 26 and 27. No rational person can bash this move. We can argue about how dominant the line may be but I just can't see how anyone can say these moves don't make the Eagles a better football team.

Ok, and when you look at the 11.5 he supposedly gave up last year on film, you realize that stat is a joke.

I'm hearing the Giants were in on the Peters bidding as well the day it went down.

Well, for all we know, the 6 from the previous year was under the actual number. He may well have given up 5 other sacks that weren't credited to him. Who knows.

All I know is dude is huge @ 340 Lbs, has just been paid (ie he could become complacent and lazy) and has given up a lot of sacks the last two years after being exceptional his first two years starting 16 games. What happened the last two years? Did he gain weight? Did he battle through an injury? Does he just not care as much anymore? Does Buffalo just suck the life out of players? Why would ne all of a sudden return to his form of three seasons ago?

ArmChair, you bring up good questions. Obviously the Eagles and their fans are hoping him getting paid brings him back to being motivated and we see the 2005-2006 Peters. Fans of other teams hopes this makes him more lazy.

Anytime you give a player a huge deal who has had past motivation issues, you run a risk. I remember these same questions being asked about Haynesworth who has played very ordinary during his NFL career due to motivation. I know what you are hoping for out of him and I know what I'm hoping for.

I am happy for this trade simply because we would have drafted Eben Britton or William Beatty at 28 and then I would have shot myself.

Well, for all we know, the 6 from the previous year was under the actual number. He may well have given up 5 other sacks that weren't credited to him. Who knows.

All I know is dude is huge @ 340 Lbs, has just been paid (ie he could become complacent and lazy) and has given up a lot of sacks the last two years after being exceptional his first two years starting 16 games. What happened the last two years? Did he gain weight? Did he battle through an injury? Does he just not care as much anymore? Does Buffalo just suck the life out of players? Why would ne all of a sudden return to his form of three seasons ago?

I hate the Eagles, but come on guys. This was a steal for them.

They have 11 more picks in the draft and still a 1, 2, 3 to lead a normal draft.

Whether you like Peters or not is one aspect of it. But this move was as smart as they come. You trade huge value for players in PRIME positions. LT is as PRIME as they come outside of QB. They gave the 28th pick and a couple of others. This is not like giving the 13th pick.

Now if they traded that for Braylon, then I would laugh. Because, IMO, you do not give that much value up for any WR.

I put Samuels ahead of him because Samuels always plays and plays well. However, if I had to pick one right now with a gun to my head for the rest of their careers, I'd take Peters due to age and potential. For one season, I take Samuels.

Yeah, thats decent.

But Reid saying Peters is best in football? maybe the best young LT in football, maybe not. I saw somewhere that Peters's sack total should be 5 instead of 11.5, Joe Thomas in Cleveland allowed 4.5. I've never seen Joe Thomas play or graded him as a tackle, but he's a high draft pick who doesn't seem to be allowing too many sacks.

And the other thing I'd be weary about with Peters is the money and the attitude. He was a low draft pick, so we don't know how he'll deal with money issues. He also hasn't gotten a taste of Philly fans yet. Let him have a bad game against Demarcus Ware or Andre Carter and let the Philly fans start treating him like they treat McNabb, and lets see how he responds.

On the Eagles messageboard, people who are bigger losers than me have broken down each game he has played and posted videos of all the sacks he supposedly gave up.

So, you are, "repeating a number you seen somewhere on the internet." Considering that is what you accused ArmchairRedskin of doing, I must say I'm a bit surprised.

The original quote:

You are just repeating a number you seen somewhere on the internet.

Also, I'll take the calculations that people who get paid to do this kind of stuff came to, as compared to people on a message board.

Chris Samuels, Joe Thomas, and a couple of other LT might have something to say about Reid's comments.

Bryant McKinnie, Matt Light, David Diehl, Ryan Clady, Jake Long.

Even Flozell Adams had a better season. Oh wait, everyone did.

Walter Jones and Orlando Pace are still good too when healthy.

Archived