Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Down with Pats: Unrealistic scenario?

SkinsAllDay34

I was just wondering about a trade down partner and the the Pats came to mind because of their 3 2nd rounders.

Would this trade be unrealistic: I checked the value chart...

Redskins trade picks #13 and #80 = 1340 pts

Patriots trade picks #23 and #34 = 1320 pts

We could possibly knock out our needs with these two picks

#23 draft Clay matthews. He is said to be the best pass rusher on the USC defense by scouts and either McShay or Kiper said it as well. Also he is a damn good LB

#34 draft either Loadholt, Britton or Beatty. Fill our RT spot. I would go with Loadholt because he is suited for RT and would be a load at that spot.

I know we give up our 3rd but we really need to get a quality tackle and LB/pass rusher out of this draft and if that scenario happened we would basically nail all three needs.

Thoughts

Well, many people think the Pats won't trade picks away to move up.

However, with their 6 picks in the top 3 rounds, I think they may look to package a couple of those selections, move up, at get one of the top LB / DB on the board.

I'm not sure they'd use their top 2 picks per your scenario, though. I'm sure they could end up with 2 x first rounders instead, somehow.

It would be nice, but I always felt that the Patriots were the type of team that likes to hold on to more draft picks instead of high ones. If there is a player they covet at 13 on draft day, maybe they would do it though.

Actually they have traded up before as well. What they are known for is targetting players and then getting the Good ones.

Oh the Pats will trade if they see something there at #13 they really want. See Pats/Redskins traded of 2002.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/draft/news/2002/04/21/draft_trade/

6. Washington traded its first-round (No. 21) selection to New England for the Patriots first- (No. 32), third- (No. 96) and seventh-round (No. 234) choices. New England selected Daniel Graham, te, Colorado. Washington selected Patrick Ramsey, qb, Tulane, traded (No. 96) to Baltimore and selected Greg Scott, de, Hampton.

I don't think that the Pats will do it unless they positively needed a player and felt that they could not get him. Say it's Sanchez for some reason - with all the talk about the Skins being interested, if that were the Pats guy that they HAD to have then I could see it.

Otherwise, I don't think so.

yep... the Eagles traded one of theirs...

Yeah, they were the most recent team to be one of the most likely trade partners with the Skins too. I'm getting really nervous as the draft approaches because if the draft works out (and it could very likely go this way) that the top 4 OTs are gone, both QBs too, and Orakpo, Raji, and the other top D guys are gone, then we're in trouble without a trade partner.

I started feeling a little better watching some video of some of the mid first round guys (Brown, Ayers, Britton, Jackson, I would say Cushing but the guy is so ripped I can't help but be afraid he had some "help" one case where maybe less would be more) but I would still rather trade back and still get one of those guys.

I was just wondering about a trade down partner and the the Pats came to mind because of their 3 2nd rounders.

Would this trade be unrealistic: I checked the value chart...

Redskins trade picks #13 and #80 = 1340 pts

Patriots trade picks #23 and #34 = 1320 pts

We could possibly knock out our needs with these two picks

#23 draft Clay matthews. He is said to be the best pass rusher on the USC defense by scouts and either McShay or Kiper said it as well. Also he is a damn good LB

#34 draft either Loadholt, Britton or Beatty. Fill our RT spot. I would go with Loadholt because he is suited for RT and would be a load at that spot.

I know we give up our 3rd but we really need to get a quality tackle and LB/pass rusher out of this draft and if that scenario happened we would basically nail all three needs.

Thoughts

That would be probably the best move possible IMO. It won't happen because we are most likely gonna do something stupid. Good idea and post though.

If we traded with the Pats (doubt they would want #13 though anyway), I'd hope for something like:

1st #13 (1150)

for

2nd #34 (560)

2nd #47 (430)

3rd #89 (145)

Total: 1135

If they threw in a 6th to make it even closer, say #199 (about 12pts), that would make it nearly dead even at 1147.

I really doubt the Pats would have any intention of trading to the 13th, but if they did I would prefer this scenario as a one-for-four tradedown. It would be perfect, or too good to be true.

Not going to happen. The Pats are using that 2nd round pick on Pat White.

Why would the Pats use a 2nd rounder on White, when they just drafted Kevin O'Connell in 2008 in the third round? It was said at that time that some felt O'Connell had the potential to be the best QB out of that draft. I don't see them burning another high round pick on a QB in two consecutive drafts when you have Brady coming back this year.

Archived