Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: Skins' Interest in Sanchez Still Strong

SkinsMaster88

If he was on any other team with some consistency, he would have been a lot more successful at this point of his career.

You don't make a valid point. He already is better than half the QB's. Teams with successful QB's stick with them for a few years in the same system before giving up.

Half the Qbs????

1) Peyton Manning

2) Tom Brady

3) Drew Brees

4) Eli Manning

5) Donovan McNabb

6) Tony Romo sits to pee

7) Jay Cutler

8) Matt Ryan

9) Aaron Rodgers

10) Carson Palmer

11) Matt Cassell

12) Ben Roethlisberger

13) Kurt Warner

14) Joe Flacco

15) Matt Schaub

16) Kerry Collins

17) David Garrard

18) Matt Hassellbeck

19) Kyle Orton

20) JaMarcus Russell

All of the above I'd take over Campbell. Some (Garrard) actually win games in the playoffs and play well against great defenses (Steelers, Pats). Some play well given the lack of talent around them (Russell, Orton).

Jason Campbell plays in a run first offense where defenses are keyed on the run. He can't take advantage of that. His playaction ability is poor. Mark Sanchez is already better at the playaction then Campbell is after 5 years. Campbell is a long windup and many of the "poor o-line" is his fault for not getting the ball out.

I don't know. But I know we have a shot at Sanchez and it's probably unlikely that we'll have a shot at Bradford or McCoy. You have to get in where you fit in, so to speak.

And thank you. Crab dribble ftw. God what a douche he is.

Rubbish. If JC is so bad and the QB being awesomeness itself so required we will end up picking around where we are now, except we should have more draft picks to move up with.

You can't have it both ways and be credibley wrong :silly:

1. you really believe in thisdraft that there is a right tackle that is better than

jansen or heyer???? I say jason smith, eugene monroe, andre smith come right to mind.

You are talking about three OTs who aren't projected to be there at #13 and Andre Smith doesn't impress me, but I'm not talking about my opinions or yours. I'm saying that The Skins just can't expect to fill the OT position out of the draft simply because the need is there.

As for sanchez abilty. yes the tools are there but there some big negatives as well, speed of the game, durbabilty issues, struggles when under pressuer ie oregon state.. could not beat out John david booty in 2007 for the starting position at usc.

If Jim Zorn likes him, I'll go with his opinion. My judgment is based on what I've seen and heard from Jim Zorn. The man knows QBs. If Sanchez is the QB he wants, we need only to figure out how much we're willing to pay.

Eben Britton, Michael Oher, or William Beatty.

Jansen is old and slow. Heyer is not very athletic and there was a reason he was undrafted.

All the top prospects are aggressive, athletic, and strong. I have completely confidence all of them could come into training camp and start the season at RT doing at least marginally better than Heyer or Jansen.

That is more of an indication of how I feel about Jansen and Heyer.

you and me disagree at time but I so agree heyer and jansen is not the answer

and neither is Vincent Chase(mark Sanchez) at that as well

Eben Britton, Michael Oher, or William Beatty.

Jansen is old and slow. Heyer is not very athletic and there was a reason he was undrafted.

All the top prospects are aggressive, athletic, and strong. I have completely confidence all of them could come into training camp and start the season at RT doing at least marginally better than Heyer or Jansen.

That is more of an indication of how I feel about Jansen and Heyer.

If the Redskin scouts agree with your opinions, they will pick an OT in the draft. But, suppose they don't? Are they then stupid for not drafting an OT?

Don't we have to assume that they are operating on much better information than we have?

There are multiple parts to solve the question of how do improve our team. #1 is scoring more points than our opponent. We have our D set, looks to be complete minus SAM and DE. Our Offense needs to protect our QB. Whether it is Sanchez, Collins, Campbell or Brennan, we need to find people to protect them. We did see TC play well when he had protection, but Jansen is old and slow as pointed out many times, and yes Heyer is not the answer either. As many many of us would like results, a QB does not make sense because we took one last year! Let's get a DE/SAM/OL with our #13 please!!

I don't think that Sanchez is a smokescreen. Here is the dilemna: If Campbell has a bad year, then we are forced to draft a QB next year. If Campbell has a great year, then he will demand a big contract and may choose not to sign with us because of the Cutler fiasco. If we draft Sanchez, this year, he will have a year to learn the NFL from the sidelines and we will have a QB for the future. If Campbell has a great year and does sign, then we have two QB's and trade bait. I personally think we need to trade back and draft a Right Tackle, (Eben Britton) a Center, (Alex mack) or a Linebacker. (Clay Mathews) We have a team that needs to win now because we are an older team. Guys like Portis and Samuels will not be effective after a couple of more seasons. We either get young or try to win now. We don't have time to groom a QB for 4 years unless we get lucky and Sanchez is another Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. Sanchez will be a Skin if he is sitting there at 13.

I do sincerely hope this is a smokescreen.

I just think it would be an unmitigated disaster, considering how few draft picks we have and the spots we have to fill, to not only use that first round pick on a QB(thus meaning we cut either Brennan, TC, or JC), but to use another pick just to move up and get him. Meanwhile yet another year where our offensive line gets older and our excuse is "Oh, there just wasnt enough value there".

I really hate to break this to some people, but when people get old, they die. Sooner or later our offensive line is going to die from old age, and we will have to replace them whether we like it or not. As much as I want to see Jansen playing at age 73, I think we might have better options.

Skins 21 ... I disagree ... the Cutler fiasco was not a fiasco. It was actually a healthy event because it reflected the true state of the Skins QB situation. Campbell is not the guy(.) So what does a "smart" team do about it. Check out Da Bears for guidance.

If the Redskin scouts agree with your opinions, they will pick an OT in the draft. But, suppose they don't? Are they then stupid for not drafting an OT?

Don't we have to assume that they are operating on much better information than we have?

These must have been the same scouts that convinced vinny to draft a kicker last year, or the 2 recievers & tight end who had absolutely no impact on last years team...but they are the experts...and i use that term loosely...

I don't think that Sanchez is a smokescreen. Here is the dilemna: If Campbell has a bad year, then we are forced to draft a QB next year. If Campbell has a great year, then he will demand a big contract and may choose not to sign with us because of the Cutler fiasco. If we draft Sanchez, this year, he will have a year to learn the NFL from the sidelines and we will have a QB for the future. If Campbell has a great year and does sign, then we have two QB's and trade bait. I personally think we need to trade back and draft a Right Tackle, (Eben Britton) a Center, (Alex mack) or a Linebacker. (Clay Mathews) We have a team that needs to win now because we are an older team. Guys like Portis and Samuels will not be effective after a couple of more seasons. We either get young or try to win now. We don't have time to groom a QB for 4 years unless we get lucky and Sanchez is another Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. Sanchez will be a Skin if he is sitting there at 13.

Actually I like your post because you simply present options of what may or could happen...but you could have just said this:

A team can NEVER have too many good quarterbacks. :D

These must have been the same scouts that convinced vinny to draft a kicker last year, or the 2 recievers & tight end who had absolutely no impact on last years team...but they are the experts...and i use that term loosely...

The jury is still out on the skins overall record in the draft. So far, it has been pretty good. We would be in much better shape now if Gibbs hadn't traded away so many picks.

But, even if they are the worst in the league, the front office is still operating with more experience and better information than ES members who think they're experts in the draft.

The jury is still out on the skins overall record in the draft. So far, it has been pretty good. We would be in much better shape now if Gibbs hadn't traded away so many picks.

But, even if they are the worst in the league, the front office is still operating with more experience and better information than ES members who think they're experts in the draft.

Def not an expert and I do agree that the jury is still out on the draft, this season will tell alot.

That being said I do think that our front office ignored glaring needs last season in the draft. As said earlier im not an expert nor do I claim to be but I am an avid football fan and do recognize that most consistently successful franchises draft smart, which we have not done, and have solid if not outstanding line play, which we dont have. This might explain the franchises mediocrity for the last decade or so. Drafting Sanchez at this point in my non-expert opinion would ignore other needs that we have and continue to keep us in the never ending rebuilding process.

JLC is off his rocker. I still contend this is scouting, in case we play him this season, and nothing more. Only it would be bad form to publicly state that is the reason we're working him out. From another article:

Sanchez, according to a league source, will have visited Detroit, St. Louis and San Francisco by the time he winds up his tour of NFL teams with a visit to Redskins Park Friday and Saturday. After seeing Sanchez at the NFL combine in February, the Redskins gave him a private workout with team officials, including owner Daniel Snyder, in late March in California. He also was evaluated by team officials during his pro day at USC.

We play Detroit and St. Louis early. TB and Denver might be interested as well. We stand a decent chance of facing him this season at a time that there will be little to no tape on him. This is how we scout him. End of story.

I agree. Guys that work for the team like Scott Campbell or Brown don't strike me based on what I've read about them as idiots. Vinny has made some mistakes but he doesn't strike me as a moron when I listen to him on the radio, he was quite well versed with college prospects when he had Kiper on his show. If we on ES know more than these guys, than they are seriously in trouble but I don't think that's the case.

When the Redskins KEEP their draft picks, they aren't IMO bad. Unlike a lot of teams in the NFL, they haven't really screwed up the first round for the most part at least from Gibbs 2 on.

Sean Taylor

Laron Landry

Carlos Rogers

Jason Campbell -- he was a late first, jury is still out

in the 2nd and 3rd

Rocky Mcintosh

Chris Cooley

Late rounds 5th-7th

Chris Horton

Montgomry

Golston

K. Moore -- looks like might be a keeper at sfety

C. Brennan -- will see about him but some on the board clearly love him

HB Blades

Yeah they haven't always struck gold, but who has? At the very least hard for me to see those that say they are a disaster in the draft. As for as the rookie receivers, the jury is still out, as we all know its rare for pass catchers to bust loose in the first season. I don't hear Steeler fans for example saying that Sweed is a bust.

But yeah trading draft picks for veterans has IMO killed them. Lost 2nd rounders for Portis, Taylor, and for trading up in the draft one year, 3rd rounders for Brunnel, Duckett, Lloyd, 4th rounders for Duckett, Lloyd, Kendall, 5th rounder for Thrash. I recall reading over the last 6 years the skins have had less draft picks than any team in the NFL, IMO that has to stop.

It will be great day for the Redskins when they dump Campbell. Unfortunately there is no team out there looking for a dull emotionless qb who throws 145 yards a game... just ask Denver who preferred Kyle Orton (sad). Go get Mark Sanchez...and generate some excitement. Campbell would not start for another team in the NFL, and we will not be seriously considered any type of contender as long as he is our so called leader. Don't let him hang around any longer...it is time to move in a different direction. Move up in the draft if necessary...draft Sanchez...and move Campbell immediately...don't wait, don't bring him to any camps...move him.

Campbell either way will not be the Redskins qb ...next year!

I agree. Guys that work for the team like Scott Campbell or Brown don't strike me based on what I've read about them as idiots. Vinny has made some mistakes but he doesn't strike me as a moron when I listen to him on the radio, he was quite well versed with college prospects when he had Kiper on his show. If we on ES know more than these guys, than they are seriously in trouble but I don't think that's the case.

When the Redskins KEEP their draft picks, they aren't IMO bad. Unlike a lot of teams in the NFL, they haven't really screwed up the first round for the most part at least from Gibbs 2 on.

Sean Taylor

Laron Landry

Carlos Rogers

Jason Campbell -- he was a late first, jury is still out

in the 2nd and 3rd

Rocky Mcintosh

Chris Cooley

Late rounds 5th-7th

Chris Horton

Montgomry

Golston

K. Moore -- looks like might be a keeper at sfety

C. Brennan -- will see about him but some on the board clearly love him

HB Blades

Yeah they haven't always struck gold, but who has? At the very least hard for me to see those that say they are a disaster in the draft. As for as the rookie receivers, the jury is still out, as we all know its rare for pass catchers to bust loose in the first season. I don't hear Steeler fans for example saying that Sweed is a bust.

But yeah trading draft picks for veterans has IMO killed them. Lost 2nd rounders for Portis, Taylor, and for trading up in the draft one year, 3rd rounders for Brunnel, Duckett, Lloyd, 4th rounders for Duckett, Lloyd, Kendall, 5th rounder for Thrash. I recall reading over the last 6 years the skins have had less draft picks than any team in the NFL, IMO that has to stop.

Good post.

Looking at guys like Mike Williams, Robert Gallery and Michael Huff makes me glad that we are good at drafting in the top half of the first.

Archived