Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Girl Thread- Keep out boyzzz!

MissU28

Oh SNAP!!!! I still have a ton of Victoria's Secret gift cards from my bridal shower last summer that I haven't had the time to use. Now, I don't have to search for cute crap, I'm just buying one of all of these. My husband's gonna be pissed that I spent all my VS money on this instead of some lacy bullcrap a "good wife" is supposed to buy. Haha!!

• 2 months later...

I have a question. I've put on a few extra pounds that I really want to get rid of. I've done weight watchers, nutra system, herbalife, etc and nothing seems to work. I always gain back the weight I lost. I know that this time I want to try something that is inexpensive (I don't wannna have to buy food from nutra system for example). Does anybody know of any good weight loss programs/diets out there that actually work not just to help lose weight, but keep it off too? I'm ok w/ something online, but I'm thinking I'm probably gonna need some type of support to go along with it. I don't know, it just helps me when I can talk about it with other people.

I have a question. I've put on a few extra pounds that I really want to get rid of. I've done weight watchers, nutra system, herbalife, etc and nothing seems to work. I always gain back the weight I lost. I know that this time I want to try something that is inexpensive (I don't wannna have to buy food from nutra system for example). Does anybody know of any good weight loss programs/diets out there that actually work not just to help lose weight, but keep it off too? I'm ok w/ something online, but I'm thinking I'm probably gonna need some type of support to go along with it. I don't know, it just helps me when I can talk about it with other people.

Hey girl,

I know how you feel. I gained weight sitting on my butt in grad school the past 3 years (I call it "thesis butt") and have now started the process of getting it off. :) While I still have a fair amount to go, I'm definitely progressing. The main thing that has helped me, and something that I recommend to everyone, is to find something that you enjoy. In school and right when I finished, I'd make these fancy programs and be like "I'm going to the gym 5-6 days and doing these certain routines." Never worked. About 2 months ago I decided to get back into tennis since I played in HS and really miss competing. Joined a club, joined a few leagues, signed up for drills, lessons, met people at the club and am playing with them outside of leagues and am playing about 10 hours a week now. On top of that, I'm actually inspried to go to the gym to work on cardio and do certain weight routines to help my game. So far, I've lost 13 lbs.

I've also started watching what I eat and drink, no diets though. ;) I drink at least 80 oz. of water, cut out most of the diet soda. The only carbs I try to eat now are complex, whole wheat carbohydrates and eat those before 3-4pm. Eating only protein and vegetables at dinner has really helped, so has drinking a ton of extra water.

Anyway, I don't know, the things that have worked for me have been finding something I love to do (exercise-wsie), consciously increasing my water intake, conciously decreasing my alcohol intake :D , and only eating natural, whole grain carbs when I do eat the carbs, before 3-4 pm. I have also increased my protein intake significantly, of lean proteins, like chicken breast and egg whites. I've also gotten into eating almonds and natural peanut butter...

So, that's what's worked for me. I don't have any recommendations on diets really, because I don't believe in those...

I agree completely w/ what keeastman said, especially as a student who is now also working. And I'd emphasize that there's no magic trick or system. If you want long-term success you have to make long-term lifestyle changes. Diets and fads will just keep you going back and forth.

As for food, the key for me was planning in advance. Each week I'd plan out my meals more or less to a t, then go shopping. Each day I'd know what I was going to make/eat. Having a good plan will prevent you from popping over to Wendy's in a crunch. As for meals, each one should include protein, some carbs (which can also come from veggies and fruits), and some healthy fats like nuts, natural peanut butter, or avocado. Also make sure you are eating a good breakfast - hard boiled eggs are good to make on the weekend then have them through the week.

As for exercise, find something you like and something you can do with a friend or family member. And make sure you incorporate some kind of weight routine! One good trick if you have a job that keeps you seated most of the day - every time you have to use the bathroom take the stairs and go up or down a floor to use that one. You can also do this at home.

I'm not sure about good websites, but you should find a good calorie tracker online and keep track of your food for a week or so to get an idea of what you are really eating/what you need.

Hey girls, totally off topic, but I just wanted to send out a little PSA to remind ya'll to go out and get your annual GYN exams. I know pap smears aren't fun, but they are really important to get on a yearly basis.

Cervical cancer is almost exclusively caused by HPV, which is a virus that you can easily contract from a partner who is completely asymptomatic. Detecting the virus early and monitoring it is the best way to prevent further health issues, including the possibility of developing cervical cancer. So please go get your pap smears :D

Also, if you don't have insurance or are low on cash, the cheapest place to get your annual exams done are at a Planned Parenthood.

Thanks for all the advice. I think what I'm going to do is start out slow (like walking, bike riding, tennis etc) b/c it's been so long since I've really commited to any type of consistent physical activity. I don't want to over do it and then get frustrated and quit. As far as meals go, I like the idea of planning meals in advance. This is something that could definitely work for me.

As far as the actual food goes, my problem is carbs carbs carbs! I need to cut down on them. I also drink a TON of diet soda. I figured that it has no calories, and the caffeine jolt I need, so what's the harm LOL? So, I guess cutting back on the sodas and drinking more water will also help. I'm gonna try some of these tips and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the advice. I think what I'm going to do is start out slow (like walking, bike riding, tennis etc) b/c it's been so long since I've really commited to any type of consistent physical activity. I don't want to over do it and then get frustrated and quit. As far as meals go, I like the idea of planning meals in advance. This is something that could definitely work for me.

As far as the actual food goes, my problem is carbs carbs carbs! I need to cut down on them. I also drink a TON of diet soda. I figured that it has no calories, and the caffeine jolt I need, so what's the harm LOL? So, I guess cutting back on the sodas and drinking more water will also help. I'm gonna try some of these tips and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Yeah, I used to be the same way with diet soda. I drank so much it was ridiculous. Until I saw some studies that showed how bad aspartame and all that nutrasweet crap is for your body and some studies that found a correlation between diet soda and the aspartame and increased hunger...

Yeah, I used to be the same way with diet soda. I drank so much it was ridiculous. Until I saw some studies that showed how bad aspartame and all that nutrasweet crap is for your body and some studies that found a correlation between diet soda and the aspartame and increased hunger...

Woah...I had no idea that the aspartame increased hunger. Have you noticed a difference since you cut back?

• 1 year later...

annnnnnnnnnnnnd resurrection!!!!!

Let's talk about gift-giving ideas for girl friends. Inexpensive but things you would like to receive. I want to give my friends gifts and want to keep it fairly inexpensive, but don't want to go the "bath and body works" route

Ren, Sorry about your situation, that sounds tough. Not really sure what advice to give b/c I don't really know the dynamics in play...but I too wouldn't be happy about paying to split a shower I didn't attend. I've been MOH before and I would never have asked a bridesmaid to pay if she didn't attend. In fact, I don't remember asking anyone to pay. It was me and all the women in my family who threw the shower and we didn't have the bridesmaids pay. I always thought it was the MOH and family who paid for these showers... I've been in probably 10 weddings and have not had to pay for a shower. I brought a dish an helped set up usually, but I don't get this making the bridesmaids pay for your shower thing.
I'm keepin this thread alive!!!

Just wanted to let you ladies know of a good promotion Victoria's Secret has going on now. Through March 31 if you make a purchase you get a free "secret rewards card" worth $10, $50, $100, or $500. You can redeem the card April 1 - April 30 and you just have to go to the store during that time (or complete checkout of an order online) to find out how much your card is worth.

Link

Where my girls at?????

I'm RIGHT HERE!!! Typing on my phone as I wait for my plane on the most annoying travel day of the year...

As for gift giving ideas, one thing I like are moleskin notebooks, big, medium, and small. I carry them in my purses and write down notes, lists, etc. I got pink ones at Target that didn't break the bank. I also like wine glass charms for parties, or cute coasters, or a bottle of wine with a big friggin bow on it!!!

How much are you looking to spend?

I was seriously just thinking about this thread today :)

For small Xmas gifts, I will 2nd keastman's idea about the moleskin books. I just bought some myself and I keep one in the car and another in my purse or work bag. EDIT: picture frames are always a simple, cheap idea too.

As for me, I was hoping to get some ideas for what kind of shoes you ladies would wear with khaki pants. I'm trying to find something not too fancy but not too casual. Any ideas?

I'm RIGHT HERE!!! Typing on my phone as I wait for my plane on the most annoying travel day of the year...

As for gift giving ideas, one thing I like are moleskin notebooks, big, medium, and small. I carry them in my purses and write down notes, lists, etc. I got pink ones at Target that didn't break the bank. I also like wine glass charms for parties, or cute coasters, or a bottle of wine with a big friggin bow on it!!!

How much are you looking to spend?

around $10-$20

I was seriously just thinking about this thread today :)

For small Xmas gifts, I will 2nd keastman's idea about the moleskin books. I just bought some myself and I keep one in the car and another in my purse or work bag. EDIT: picture frames are always a simple, cheap idea too.

As for me, I was hoping to get some ideas for what kind of shoes you ladies would wear with khaki pants. I'm trying to find something not too fancy but not too casual. Any ideas?

Brown boots! You can find dressier or more casual ones depending on your preference. Here are some I like :

pl241250-00qlv01.jpg

pl889390-01qlv01.jpg

cn4148198.jpg

pl892578-01qlv01.jpg

pl891657-00qlv01.jpg

pl363994-01qlv01.jpg

I was at Sephora the other day and they have a lot of really cute stocking stuffer things, like nail polish sets, eye shadow sets, etc. It's cute, girly stuff...but not the cliche Bath and Body Works

I really like Essie nail polish, there were some cute mini sets I saw there. Also, Nordstrom always has really cute little gift sets in their makeup section. I also like most anything from the Philosophy products, particularly their "Amazing Grace" line of lotions. Another thing, if you have girlfriends who travel a lot, or like puzzles, there are these little puzzle books that I love to use whenever I'm flying or at the airport called "Posh Pocket Logic Puzzle." They are super cute, purse-sized logic puzzle booklets with 100 logic problems. I bought a bunch and work on them all the time whenever I'm traveling.

As I think of more things, I'll post em here :D

I was at Sephora the other day and they have a lot of really cute stocking stuffer things, like nail polish sets, eye shadow sets, etc. It's cute, girly stuff...but not the cliche Bath and Body Works

I really like Essie nail polish, there were some cute mini sets I saw there. Also, Nordstrom always has really cute little gift sets in their makeup section. I also like most anything from the Philosophy products, particularly their "Amazing Grace" line of lotions. Another thing, if you have girlfriends who travel a lot, or like puzzles, there are these little puzzle books that I love to use whenever I'm flying or at the airport called "Posh Pocket Logic Puzzle." They are super cute, purse-sized logic puzzle booklets with 100 logic problems. I bought a bunch and work on them all the time whenever I'm traveling.

As I think of more things, I'll post em here :D

Good ideas! I'll check 'em out.

I am going to buy one of my friends, who loves Aaron Rodgers, this:

41VOG9Xar%2BL._AA300_.jpg

10 bucks on amazon and a great gag/i know she'll like it gift :)

My shoes are pretty much always based on my top.

With khakis, I usually abide by the following rules:

Wear cute, sometimes colorful flats...particularly when it's a casual occasion.

Never wear brown shoes.

If wearing a work polo, it's okay to wear tennis shoes.

Never wear too-pointy toed of a shoe, particularly if it's a high heel.

Archived