Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OK My buddy decided to do a Mock draft, all 7 rounds. WDYT?

Robbnva

I know why you said it was your buddies draft and not yours because you feel guilty you spent so much time on a bunch of nonsense. You owe me 15 minutes of my life back I feel violated. Lose Campbell and get Freeman. What an upgrade. Come on?

The person we really need to lose is portis. We should send him in a deal for draft picks.

The person we really need to lose is portis. We should send him in a deal for draft picks.

Or instead of doing something ridiculously stupid, we could build around the best Offensive player on our team this decade.

Instead, why don't we trade our backup RB to garner some more picks, so that we can actually build a line to block for our Elite RB and our QB.

];6310832']Or instead of doing something ridiculously stupid' date=' we could build around the best Offensive player on our team this decade.

Instead, why don't we trade our backup RB to garner some more picks, so that we can actually build a line to block for our Elite RB and our QB.[/quote']

Portis is not Elite. We can draft a RB in the 5th round that will be better then portis. Who would to give us picks for ladell betts. He's not that good to demand picks.

I dont think I hate this draft, nor do I like it. I dont like the picks taken. I do like trading for more picks.

Los and Campbell? Not sure I like that.

Im not sold on Freeman, though I do like him.

I do like getting all those extra picks

Portis is not Elite. We can draft a RB in the 5th round that will be better then portis. Who would to give us picks for ladell betts. He's not that good to demand picks.

That statement is all wrong. Portis was considered MVP for the first half of the season. If that aint elite what is?

not realistic.. why so many lb'sfor the skins????

three of them the skins are still high on blades

only one o lineman and since it easter i will censor myself on the Josh freeman selection

edit i see the oher selection.. still not realistic

Lots of LB's may be a good idea. On the roster we have

Fletcher- great but old

Rocky- Good but injury prone

Blades- Heir apparent to Fletcher, possible OLB candidate

Fincher- ST, decent depth

Robert Thomas- first round bust coming off injury, possible depth

We could definitely use a couple LB's in this draft.

As far as the draft goes I applaud your buddy for the time and effort put into it. I also applaud him for having the balls to go out and try to predict a few trades. Obviously a lot of what he is predicting is dependent on those actually happening so I wouldn't expect this one to be too accurate but he has fairly solid reasoning behind most of them. The only one I don't really get is the Bengals to #1 for Crabtree. Even if they trade Ocho Chris Henry is still an extremely talented football player he's just an idiot off the field. They also drafted Jerome Simpson and Caldwell last draft so I would assume they think they have something with them. If they went to #1 I think it would be for their top rated OT.

];6310832']Or instead of doing something ridiculously stupid' date=' we could build around the best Offensive player on our team this decade.

Instead, why don't we trade our backup RB to garner some more picks, so that we can actually build a line to block for our Elite RB and our QB.[/quote']

I dont think you can even move Portis without creating a monstrous amount of dead cap sue to that garunteed money. You might be able to do that next year, but not this year.

Some will say something like "why cant you get the other team to take the cap hit." Understand that means you have to expect less value back. What does this mean? Lets just for example, set Portis's value:

Pros

Hes a pro-bowl back.

Hes a pretty tough guy.

Hes pretty much garunteed to go for 1000+ and 5 TDs

Great Blocker.

Solid, but not elite receiver.

No super major injuries

We all know what strong about him.

Cons

Hes 27-28

Hes got significant mileage on him

Some think hes lost the Sub 4.3 speed (despite the footrace with Landry)

Salary for 2009: $9.9M (all garunteed), 2010: $11M (4.4 garunteed), 2011: $12.1M (about 1M garunteed), then 2012-2013: $8.5 m

About 15M and some change of that is Garunteed.

What do you think a team is willing to give up for a 28 year old running back going into his 8th year that maybe has lost his 6th gear?

Again, lets just say its one first day pick and one second day pick (Im not saying thats his value, im just giving us a value to work with). A 2nd and a 6th.

Straight up we give up CP and get a 2 and a 6 and have to deal with replacing him and having 15 M in dead cap to deal with along with no actual cap relief until the following year. Im not sure thats a net gain.

You could get them to take the hit, or a portion of the hit. That means sweetening the deal for them, or reducing the asking price. Could be CP and a 4th for a 2nd. We might end up eating only half the cap hit. Again, we really traded a 4th for a 2nd and 8-15M in dead cap with no immediate cap relief. Not sure thats a net gain.

Again, thats for a guy who wants to be here. Is that really a move for the best of the team, or is that just about getting rid of Portis?

Two concerns. First, you could just let him play this year out. 9.9 of that 15M garunteed money would be paid. Yeah his value might be diminished, but it might not be. But you could have the option of moviing him without a crippling amount of dead cap created. I think youll see him restructure his deal, lowering his actual cap hit, but giving him garunteed money over the ungarunteed years of his deal allowing him to stay here longer.

Of course, if the CBA goes the way of the Dodo, all bets are off.

Good effort, but I would absolutely hate this draft if it were real.

Pretty much sums up this thread...

Why would you trade your starting QB and starting CB and then draft people to replace them that are either not ready to play(Freeman) or arent starting material(Mickens)?

I understand the need to get more picks but, doing this would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Trading 'Los and Campbell, especially 'Los, would be grand theft by the Texans. I'd rather see Betts or Randle-El traded instead of 'Los this scenario.

My head 'sploded from reading the rest of the draft. Enjoyed reading about all the other teams, and how they might pick. Good stuff! :applause:

#1: Why trade Jason Campbell? Apparently Josh Freeman is gonna be our starter? Haha wait nevermind that is Colt Brennans job to lose.:doh:

#2: Why in gods name would we pass on Robert Ayers from Tennessee?

#3: You broke my number 1 rule in the NFL draft. Never pick a lazy immature player(Duke Robinson). It just does not work.

#4: Good Mike Mickens pick.

#5: I know how much effort this takes. I love the effort man!

this is THE worst mock draft i have ever seen in my whole enitre life. This dude is clrearly retarded, his trades are so far fetched it is out of this world. We would be trading cambell away to pretty much get the same quarterback? And you have people giving away like 4 picks to move up a couple spots? ****ING RETARDED. Probably the most frustrating thing i ever read

I give you an "A" for effort. I like the idea of trading back a number of times to acquire more picks but the only pick you have the Skins taking that I would be really excited about would be OLB/FB/TE/ST-demon Brian Toal from BC in the 7th. That guy can play anywhere.

Wow, all that evidence you provided is hard to argue against, lol.

Umm, yes, CP is elite. His career stats suggest so, especially when put in comparison with other starting RBs around the league.

The argument that there are a bunch of RBs better than Portis is very tired at this point. After '06 season is when that debate really flared up, with people saying Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, Cadillac Williams, Willis McGahee, and others were better than Portis. CP is still producing, and most of the others aren't. Each year there's a "flavor of the month" RB who puts up 1 decent season, and then his name gets trotted out in these CP debates. It was Addai before, and recently was Ryan Grant, now it appears Michael Turner is about to hold that honor.

"RBs are a dime a dozen" is incorrect. "RBs who give a solid season or 2 are a dime a dozen, consistently good RBs are a rarer commodity" seems more appropriate to me.

Ladanian Tomlinson is still the best RB in the NFL right now, though injuries are causing his stock to fall. But, even still, LT is considered elite, so a statistical comparison between him and CP should show LT WAY out ahead of CP if CP isn't elite.

Portis career rushing stats:

100 games/ 2052 att/ 9202 yds/ 4.5 avg/ 72 TDs/ 25 fumbles.

CPs career per game average:

20.5 att/ 4.5 avg/ 92 yds/ 0.72 TD/ 0.25 fum

LT career rushing stats:

127 games/ 2657 att/ 11760 yds/ 4.4 avg/ 126 TDs/ 25 fumbles

LTs career per game average:

20.9 att/ 4.4 avg/ 92.6 yds/ 1.0 TD/ 0.20 fum

How does CP rank all time?

Portis is 27th in career yards. If he has another 1487 yd season, he moves to 20th ahead of Ricky Waters. If Portis puts up 1300 rush yards or more the next 3 seasons, he'd have a shot at moving ahead of Eric Dickerson.

Portis is 27th all time in rush TDs. If he gets 20 TDs more in his career, he moves ahead of Franco Harris into the top 10.

Portis is elite.

Now for the assertion we could draft a RB in the 5th round who would match Portis' production. Really? It's theoretically possible, but that's about it.

Here are the 5th rd RBs taken from 2002 (when CP entered the league) through today:

2008: Ryan Torrain, Tim Hightower, Marcus Thomas

2007: Kolby Smith

2006: Jerome Harrison

2005: Damien Nash, Justin Green

2004: Michael Turner, Thomas Tapeh

2003: none

2002: Kyle Johnson, Verron Haynes

And here are the top 10 rushing yards leaders from '08 and which round they were drafted in:

Peterson- 1st

Turner- 5th

Deangelo- 1st

Portis- 2nd

Thomas Jones- 1st

Slaton- 3rd

Forte 2nd

Chris Johnson- 1st

Ryan Grant- UDFA

LT- 1st

Even if you throw in Parker who is a great RB and was undrafted, the evidence still shows that typically RBs who produce like CP are drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. To claim so flippantly that CP's production could be matched by a 5th round pick is odd when there is almost no evidence to support such a claim.

I'd love to prove you wrong, but it seems Elkabong and Eljeasel have already made a mockery of your logic.

Nice try, though.

];6311237']I'd love to prove you wrong' date=' but it seems Elkabong and Eljeasel have already made a mockery of your logic.

Nice try, though.[/quote']

Goodness. Elkabong brought some great analysis. I was just showing how moving Portis is not economically viable. Elkabong just tore a position to shreds. Excellent post, thanks for thinking that out.

Mock Drafts are a lot of fun nd I take it in that spirit. Josh Freeman is the last of the available QB's before the talent level bottoms out. He will be a fair QB in a few years for somebody, but I doubt it will be the Skins.

Picking up Oher in the first would be at least a stab at addressing the OL, but 3 new players are needed and it would have been 4 if the Dockery miracle had not occurred. It takes half a season for new OL to begin to click and Dan seldom lets Vinny pick OL. So it'll be interesting to see what the first pick is for Dan's fantasy team this year. Odds are, it won't be OL or DL. Dan likes Linebackers, so I expect to see a Linebacker as the first pick. But I doubt if the Skins will pick up 3 of them. Expect the standard wave at the needs of the OL by finding some OL in the 3rd or 4th rounds, and the same for DE or DT in the 4th, 5th or 6th.

But still, your friend is way too logical. We're talking Dan Snyder's Fantasy Football team here. Drafting OL and DL doesn't happen in the first two rounds, ever, unless the Head Coach is making the pick. Zorn is the coach, but the draft is run by Dan with Vinny as his surrogate.

Archived