Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Profootball.scout.com:Redskins Sign LB (Robert Thomas)

That Redskins Fan

Not an especially big LB, but fast (4.5) and was the #1/#2-rated OLB when drafted #31 overall by the Rams in 2002; was Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year and a 1st-team All American that season.

Looks like a string of injuries (quadriceps, knee, hamstring) have been at least partially responsible for Thomas underachieving in the NFL. I'm guessing he'll have to fight for a roster spot and will be a special-teamer first and a backup LB second. At least one scouting report I found dinged him big on deficiencies in pass coverage.

Here's a factoid blurb from the Raiders website:

"Father (Stan) played professional baseball for the Pirates (64-69) and the Angels (63-64)...Brother, Stan, played at University of Texas and was first-round draft choice of the Chicago Bears in 1991."

Scouts Inc.:

Thomas is an undersized player with good athleticism. He runs well and is best in space to pursue inside-out to the ball. He can be engulfed when taking on offensive linemen due to his lack of height. He does use his hands well to separate, but will lose leverage often versus the inside ground game. He covers lots of ground and shows good range, but will over-pursue at times and not break down in space. He does have decent pop and power as a tackler. He has the athleticism to be effective in coverage, but isn't quick to react to route progressions. He plays hard, but doesn't have the overall tools to be an effective, consistent starter. He is best in sub packages and on special teams.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?playerId=3559

It seems like Thomas, if he makes the team, would be a special teamer and used in 3rd down pass-coverage packages. He seems more suited to cover tight ends than an HB Blades or London Fletcher, who are both 2-3 inches smaller and more stout. Intriguing signing, considering everything else that's going on at Redskins park right now

seems like a guy with some potential. Sort of like a Jeff Posey/Randall Godfrey type player. A guy who can start a couple games, but isn't yet the person you can fully rely on.

Considering the play of our LB's with Olivadotti (I think he's the LB coach), Thomas could very well excel in our system.

he can play all three lb positions... hmm this signing tells me maybe ol and de round 1 and 3

Don't read anything into this. It means absolutely nothing as far as the draft. Everyone has to amit as far as depth LB is our weakest position. Personally I still think we will draft a SAM. I believe Vinny loves Rey Maualuga and that who we will draft.

Don't read anything into this. It means absolutely nothing as far as the draft. Everyone has to amit as far as depth LB is our weakest position. Personally I still think we will draft a SAM. I believe Vinny loves Rey Maualuga and that who we will draft.

Our figuredhead gm..has no influence

Snyder is the power our figurehead gm better be looking for olineman and Snyder better be as well or another season at home and termination papers for zorn and cerrato.. well zorn at least

There will be no Patron -- Harrison passes because he has a meeting to go to in an hour. The glare never cracks. It's there when things go bad, when Harrison was cut four times and pondered becoming a bus driver. It's here in the best season of his life, when he's the NFL's defensive MVP and Super Bowl-bound.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3855349

when will you people learn to have a little patience? :doh:

Archived