Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaches' Thread (Brag, Complain, Share funny stories)...

Special K

So, I did a search and didn't see anything like this, so I thought we needed a thread. :D

I know there are a lot of coaches on ES, whether they be pee-wee, high school, college, whatever. Also, I know there are a lot of sports represented by our coaches, so I thought it would be interesting to hear some stories from our resident coaches.

You all can piss and moan, brag about your team, tell some funny stories, share over-involved crazy parent stories, give advice, share techniques, whatever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I help coach varsity softball at a local academy here and I just got back from a 9 day trip to an Orlando tournament with our girls. And I have to tell you, I hate over-involved parents. I really, really hate them.

We have a father who is just friggin awful. Their daughter is one of our 2 pitchers and he insists on calling her pitches. We told him to back off last season and he continued to stand behind our backstop and call pitches.

So this year, the head coach consented and gave him authority to call pitches (big mistake in my opinion, if I was the head coach I would have just banned him from doing this and threatened cutting his daughter if he didn't stop). Because she gave him an ounce of authority, he keeps on pushing it by not only calling pitches, but positioning the outfielders in the middle of a game (my job as the outfield coach) and trying to manipulate me into beefing up his daughter's stats (I'm the stat keeper as well). He's also always pestering me for the book immediately after the game so he can call his daughter's stats into her freaking grandpa who keeps record of her stats evidently. The kid is an good pitcher, but IMO she doesn't have a shot in hell at a DI scholarship which what they are pushing her to get, because of the parental invovlment, the fact that she is the slowest human being on earth, and a few other issues.

Anyway, I've talked to my friend who's the head coach to get this guy to back the hell off of me before I do something I regret, especially in front of the girls. She's talked to him about it, but he doesn't get it. I said something to him (very diplomatically fyi) in Orlando about it, but he still doesn't get it and it's really pissing me off. Any seasoned coaches have any advice on dealing with this father? It's a bit difficult since I'm the assistant coach and want to respect the head coach's efforts, and I don't want to make a scene in front of the girls...but I really want to pull my hair out and just scream at this father.

Ok. I got one (Well -I got about a dozen, but I will start with one).

Last year I coached Spring flag football. One mom and dad complained to me from the get go. Didn't run practice correctly. First scrimmage was not organized enough. Their kid didn't play enough. I didn't rotate their kid enough. He didn't get to play QB (He was a good kid, but couldn't grip the football). I tried to be friendly at first, finally, after the 3rd game, I called them both to the side and said "I appreciate all the advise and feedback. But at this point, I'm going to run this team the way I see fit. However - I know the league is desperate for volunteers and I strongly encourage you to volunteer next year, Like I did."

They both shut up, and even by the end, they were very nice to me.

About 3 months ago I get a email from them. They didn't know I moved and they wanted to know what team I was coaching. They didn't like their current coach and wanted to be back on my team....

I've been a high school baseball coach for 3 years. I've been a head JV coach and I've been a head assistant for varsity, 2 different schools, both big 4A schools, which is the largest class in NC.

Last year the head coach, the guy I worked for, decided to take the athletic director job, which meant he couldn't be the baseball coach anymore. At the time I wasn't working at the school so I couldn't be hired as the head coach, I could only be an assistant.

In the rush to fill the spot the new AD former head baseball coach had to a hire a guy that he wasn't all that crazy about but he thought he'd do ok and would get better over the years.

Turns out, the guy was worse than expected, he talked in his interview as if he knew the game but he must have rehearsed what he was going to say like lines in a play because in practice he couldn't teach fundamentals and his game management as far as like bunts, hitting and running, stealing, defensive calls ,ect was just awful.

There were 2 assistants, me who played college baseball, and another guy that was a volunteer who played minor league baseball and had over 5 years of experience coaching. Not to blow our own horns but it was widely known that our school had one of the best collection of assistants in the state, the other assistant is a great coach, and I hope he'd say the same about me. The head coach on the other hand, never played baseball in college, he is basically just a fan of the game and knows about as much about baseball as you can learn by watching it on tv. The ins and outs of the game are a mystery to him.

The players kinda revolted against the new head coach because they were pretty smart kids and realized pretty quickly that he didn't have a clue. Our practices were awful and it got to the point where the AD made the head coach write out a practice plan and put it on his desk before the end of the school day.

I and the other assistant basically took over the team and took all authority away from the head coach. We ran the practices, the kids ignored the signs coming from 3rd base and I gave verbal signs from the first base coaching box.

The coach was basically a lame duck and it was known the AD wanted to fire him. We ended up sharing the conference title and making it to the 3rd round of the state playoffs, even with all the coaching drama.

The principal stepped in and would not allow the AD to fire the baseball coach and this gave the head coach kind of a mandate of what he could do, so he fired me and the other assistant at the end of the year. The funny thing was, we both resigned already and he just sort of went around telling everyone that he had fired us.

I've moved on to assist at another school back in my home town and the other assistant moved to Florida is coaching at one of the premier HS programs in the state, if not the country. Basically, it wasn't difficult for either of us to catch on some place else.

I coach a U-11 team and ref soccer. I love the game. Anyway, I go to Germany in 2006 for the World Cup it's six hours ahead and my phone rings at 9 am. It's one of the players moms. Wondering, at 3 am Eastern, why her daughter wasn't playing striker. This is in July a month after the last game and prob 2 months before we resume practice. Absolutely not a time when she it should've been the furthest thing from her mind.

Ok - So I have a question for other coaches. I'm coaching Little league baseball this year. 8 & 9 year olds.

Now - this is hard for 2 reasons.

1 - I never played baseball.

2- My Son, at 8, is better then I am.

But I have been doing what I can. Reading, learning, even took advantage of a league sponsored training session at a baseball training league to learn how to coach.

Meanwhile - I have a volunteer Asst Coach. Like me, I know he has given up his time and energy to volunteer and help out. I appreciate it, and he is a nice guy. But his advise is terrible! (BTW - His Son is also very bad, which, with his coaching, I understand why).

Example- We did batting practice the other day I he kept telling these kids, most of who have poor swing habits, to "Swing Angry" and "Go ahead and CRUSH the ball". Probably the worst advise you can give to a kid, who is trying to learn how to make contact and use his hips in his swing.

I tried asking him to help with the 1st baseman and how to catch, but he still kept shouting out bad advise. Any ideas on how to approach him and while thanking him for his help, getting him to shut up with the bad advise?

Because of where I live (middle of nowhere PA) not many of the parents have played soccer. Parents cheer when their kids kick the ball aimlessly (and especially loudly when they kick it far). It makes me cringe.

I also cringe when I'm reffing and a coach is psyching up his players by saying "Are you guys ready to bang?"

I know it's a delicate situation and you're in a tough spot (since you're not in a position of authority because of your level of expertise). There's the direct approach, pull him aside and give him the "Look, Bill I appreciate the time you put in, but I don't think you're helping them learn..." speech.

Or you can ask him to step down, the drawback is that you'll have to do more on your own.

But at 8 & 9, at least in soccer, it's a really important age because that's when you're building the foundation. Bad habits set in early and sometimes takes years to undo.

Meanwhile - I have a volunteer Asst Coach. Like me, I know he has given up his time and energy to volunteer and help out. I appreciate it, and he is a nice guy. But his advise is terrible! (BTW - His Son is also very bad, which, with his coaching, I understand why).

Example- We did batting practice the other day I he kept telling these kids, most of who have poor swing habits, to "Swing Angry" and "Go ahead and CRUSH the ball". Probably the worst advise you can give to a kid, who is trying to learn how to make contact and use his hips in his swing.

I tried asking him to help with the 1st baseman and how to catch, but he still kept shouting out bad advise. Any ideas on how to approach him and while thanking him for his help, getting him to shut up with the bad advise?

Can you talk to him and say "Listen, you are such a big help to this team, blah, blah, blah, but these are young kids who are still learning baseball. It's very important we get them set on the right track foundationally so they can continue to improve. I think we are confusing them by emphasizing different things when they are batting or in the field, so let's make sure we are on othe same page here...blah, blah, blah. To make sure they are fundamentally sound, I want to emphasize hip movement, blah, blah, blah during batting practice."

To add emphasis to your little discussion, I would make copies of and bring some youth league level baseball guide handouts regarding the fundamentals of batting, fielding, etc. You could even highlight the areas you are talking about that you would like to emphasize and focus on during practices and games.

The head coach and I do this before each season when we are coming up with the practice outlines and stuff, just to make sure we are exactly on the same page and will not be confusing the girls with any contradictory advice.

It's one of the players moms. Wondering, at 3 am Eastern, why her daughter wasn't playing striker. This is in July a month after the last game and prob 2 months before we resume practice. Absolutely not a time when she it should've been the furthest thing from her mind.
Haha, that's funny...although I'm always amazed at these types of parents. :doh:

right out of college, i landed a middle school head football job. i learned on the go. my 5th year, i moved up to the high school level, coaching freshman and assisting w/ the varsity.

last year, for time and family reasons mainly, i decided to go back to middle school.

in 8 years of coaching, my record is 41-16 (including a very frustrating 2-6 year at the new middle school this year)

my biggest challenge?

i just started coaching my 4 year olds 4 and 5 year old soccer team. man, after 3 practices, i've come to the conclusion that if i can just teach them how to PRACTICE and get them going in the right direction, i will have won.

eli was laying down at midfield during our first game. when i asked him what he was doing he said "i needed to take a rest." :doh: :laugh:

I was the Asst. Coach on our local U-11 girls LAX team last year. The one moment that stands out to me was in our end of year tournament about midway thru the 2nd half one of the girls who just got subbed out comes up to me and says "can I go ask my mom if I can have a sleepover with xxxxx?" I calmly asked her if it could wait, she replied that it could not, she needed to let xxxxx know when they get subbed back in.

Holy Crap! She was making plans for a sleepover with our opponent in the middle of a game. Wait, it gets better.......

The end of the game rolls around, we do our good game stick click, our normal rah-rah speech, and then I hear it.......

The amazed yet stern answer to the sleepover question.........

"No, you can not have a sleepover with xxxxx, you just met her on the field today. get her number and we can set something up later."

Kids! What'cha gonna do?!?

To add emphasis to your little discussion, I would make copies of and bring some youth league level baseball guide handouts regarding the fundamentals of batting, fielding, etc. You could even highlight the areas you are talking about that you would like to emphasize and focus on during practices and games.

That's a good idea. I have a copy given to me by the baseball trainers talking about how to hit. I like that as a way of saying "Thanks for your help. Want to make sure we are on the same page. Got this handout that I think really helps, lets emphasis these points here......"

Good advise.

i just started coaching my 4 year olds 4 and 5 year old soccer team. man, after 3 practices, i've come to the conclusion that if i can just teach them how to PRACTICE and get them going in the right direction, i will have won.

eli was laying down at midfield during our first game. when i asked him what he was doing he said "i needed to take a rest." :doh: :laugh:

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

That's hilarious. What 4 year old needs to take a rest?

I've coached kids that age in several tennis camps and they are hysterical! If I didn't keep them entertained and act like a clown on speed encouraging them during each little game before I knew it, a kid would peel off from the group to go chase a butterfly or investigate something shiny on the perimeter of the court.

If I was able to keep their focus for an hour lesson, it was a victory for me...so I can definitely lol at your basic requirements for a successful practice, it's so true.

EDIT: Capt. Kaos, your girl's sleepover story is hilarious. That's a first for me, I'e never heard of something like that, with the opponent. :rotflmao:

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

That's hilarious. What 4 year old needs to take a rest?

actually, all of them do.

eli learned that from his teammates.

yesterday at practice, we ran 2 laps around HALF the field. now, this is UPWARD soccer, so it's 4 v. 4, and the fields are small. i'd say it was a 120 meter jog. one of the boys asked me for water immediately.

the best was this one little girl. all she was worried about on day one was what color her jersey was going to be. now that i think about it, i think it was her that started all the "take a rest" stuff on day one. she's so cute though.

actually, all of them do.

Touche...I guess I was thinking more in the middle of a game, laying down, I mean, that's just funny everytime I see it happen. My little niece did something similar to that as well, but in a YMCA basketball camp: middle of a game, just walks off the court to go sit on the sideline and play with her friend's little brother :doh:

My favorite coach story came from a half time talk by my highschool soccer coach. It was a game we needed to win to have a chance at a league placing (1st - 3rd).

We were tied at the half 0-0. He was getting on us talking about how we were working hard but not focusing on the little things when we got near the goal. We must have had near a dozen shots that were off by less than six inches. One of our players looked up and said it's ok, we're so close one them is going to go in. My coach looked at him and held his fingers about 6 inches apart and said I want to hear what your girlfriend says when you say you're only off this much and if you keep trying eventually you get it in. The looks on our faces must have been priceless because after a moment of stunned silence we were rolling on the ground. Most of the parents were laughing too.

It still goes down as my favorite half time soccer speach ever.

Ok - So I have a question for other coaches. I'm coaching Little league baseball this year. 8 & 9 year olds.

But I have been doing what I can. Reading, learning, even took advantage of a league sponsored training session at a baseball training league to learn how to coach.

Get in touch with the head baseball coach at the high school your kids are going to attend and ask him if he or his assistants would mind doing a coach's clinic.

We do this where I am, one Saturday we invite all the recreation coaches up to the school and run them through drills and give them basic fundamentals to teach their kids.

The goal of this of course, is to better the coaching these kids are getting when they are younger so when we get them at the high school level they have a good base of fundamentals already.

He may even let you and your assistant come to one his practices where you guys can just watch and pick up on some stuff.

If you ever have any questions about anything, feel free to PM me, and don't think any question is stupid, I think it's cool that you're trying and admit that you are out of your element. I know the game pretty well and have access to a lot of guys that played and coached at the professional level.

Wr's/QB's at Edison high School and OC... I love every second of it. The thing I am most proud of is my whole starting WR core is playing division 1 football now. One wideout is on full scholarship at Tech.. spring ball starts tommorrow. Ben Barber (brother of Willie Pile). One started at Yale as a freshman and one is making a name for himself at Hampton. The younger brother of Ben, is my QB for next season and is being courted by Pitt. Seeing those guys go from kids to playing at the highest level is fun to watch and feel like you had a hand in.

Sounds like a sticky situation but I just wanted to add something for the kids. Don't get too caught up on the "perfect" swings you see in videos or read about. Every baseball player has a different swing but the fundamentals are generally the same. It's kind of tough but you have to push them in the right direction and kind of let them find their own groove.

Sounds like a sticky situation but I just wanted to add something for the kids. Don't get too caught up on the "perfect" swings you see in videos or read about. Every baseball player has a different swing but the fundamentals are generally the same. It's kind of tough but you have to push them in the right direction and kind of let them find their own groove.

At that young of age the key is being simple and keeping them from creating bad habits.

The worst thing a kid can do is try to copy a player he sees on tv because they aren't watching the right things.

Kids see all the pre swing movements and what not and what they don't realize is that most major league hitters look the same at contact.

I spoke to the University of Syracuse and got one of our Seniors an interview with them to be their long snapper.

The player called 'Cuse yesterday and asked them what they thought:

"We don't want you... We need you"

He now has to make the choice between the 1AA school and the 1A school based on academics and his preferences.

The Varsity head coach didn't do it, the varsity full time staff didn't do it (I'm one of the Varsity Strength Coaches and a Varsity Assistant on the team, but my primary job is the Middle School's OC), I did. I'm proud of myself for that one. And he's the most deserving kid I've ever coached.

He won 2 games on Varsity in his entire four year career, but he's one of the brightest, loyal, most dedicated kids I've ever encountered.

More on the bragging side, in two years at the Middle School our record is 11-3.

The last time any level in our program had a winning record was 2003. That's Modified, Freshman, JV and Varsity.

We strung together a 7-0 season last year. The second ever undefeated season in our program's history for any level. It's been an awesome ride.

I've never had problems with parents. Our middle school head coach has taught me to always be straight up honest with them, so we are. 100%. It works.

Varsity, alot of the parents come to me to talk about things when I'm around. I usually get things worked out pretty quickly with them. Tell them the truth. All the time. Be polite and cordial about it, but tell them the truth. :)

At that young of age the key is being simple and keeping them from creating bad habits.

The worst thing a kid can do is try to copy a player he sees on tv because they aren't watching the right things.

Kids see all the pre swing movements and what not and what they don't realize is that most major league hitters look the same at contact.

True, very true. But I never said for them to watch players. I think most importantly at that age is have them at a good starting point and maybe how to load up correctly. All that crap about keeping your elbow up and yada yada yada can mess you up that young.

I've coached HS Football in Baltimore City and on the Eastern Shore. I've coached both Youth Football and Lacrosse in Anne Arundel and on the Eastern Shore.

Our first HS scrimmage coaching Southside Academy in Cherry Hill- Baltimore, we were playing Mount St. Joes, a private school. It was about 10am and a drunk staggered onto the field to complain about our offense- we ran the single wing. Routinely we were surrounded by city locals, drinking on the sidelines or riding dirtbikes. We played Southern-Balt., now Digital Harbor, on their homefield, which was recently condemned due to hazardous waste being discovered buried in the field. We lost to Edmonson in the city championship and afterward were called "bunch of crackers" by our star linebackers mom. Wouldn't trade my time with those kids for the world.

Started coaching my 9 year olds 90 lb. football team this past year. Made it to the Anne Arundel Championship and played at the Naval Academy Stadium. Lost to a team that picks from almost 200 players, from 3 different counties, 19-6. Went 9-2 overall, both losses to the same team-that team has won 37 consecutive games.

In 2000, I coached my oldest sons 140 lb. team in Anne Arundel. We went undefeated/won the championship. Before the season we scrimmaged a local JV team. Our biggest player was my son at 140lbs, in 7th grade. The JV teams line averaged over 200 lbs. We destroyed them with over 10 TD's, not giving up any. Good times.

My favorite coach story came from a half time talk by my highschool soccer coach. It was a game we needed to win to have a chance at a league placing (1st - 3rd).

We were tied at the half 0-0. He was getting on us talking about how we were working hard but not focusing on the little things when we got near the goal. We must have had near a dozen shots that were off by less than six inches. One of our players looked up and said it's ok, we're so close one them is going to go in. My coach looked at him and held his fingers about 6 inches apart and said I want to hear what your girlfriend says when you say you're only off this much and if you keep trying eventually you get it in. The looks on our faces must have been priceless because after a moment of stunned silence we were rolling on the ground. Most of the parents were laughing too.

It still goes down as my favorite half time soccer speach ever.

:hysterical: That is so funny!

True, very true. But I never said for them to watch players. I think most importantly at that age is have them at a good starting point and maybe how to load up correctly. All that crap about keeping your elbow up and yada yada yada can mess you up that young.

I cringe everytime i'm at a little league game and hear some parent yell, "get your elbow up!" or "swing level!"

Baseball is most poorly coached sport known to man because not many people actually know how to do things correctly.

Archived