Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider suggesting the 'Skins will target.....

hunterx

If team's drafting later than us think we are going to take Sanchez at #13, they wouldn't necessarily try to trade up to #13. They would more likely try to trade with Denver at #12 or even higher to block us from drafting Sanchez.

Unless...the team trading up thought they could offer so much to move to #13 that we would drop the notion of drafting Sanchez and move back.

Didn't see this before I posted my (longer-winded) version of this debunking.

As for the second paragraph, let's be clear that that is EXTREMELY unlikely. You have whatever the value chart value of the trade down is, and imagine a team trying to figure what additional value they would have to include to dissuade us from taking a potential franchise QB. No team going to start thinking of doing that. They are going to think it's either a smokescreen or that it would cost so much that it isn't worth bothering, especially when they option of traing up to 11 or 12 is there.

This is garbage. This so called report completely misses the fact that we currently have a Pro Bowl LT named Chris Samuels. In what alternate universe would you slide Jon Jansen to the left side after the season he had last year. I don't feel like Sanchez will be there at #13 anyway, but if he is and someone wants him we would should definitely trade the pick. I hope the fans at the draft party boo if the team is dumb enough to take Sanchez with all our other problems. I feel like at this point it will definitely be an OT or linebacker at that pick.

I agree with you that this makes the most sense, of course what else makes sense to me is that we are actually looking at our options going into next year and seeing the situation we are going to be in if Jason Campbell fails. Regardless of what some posters here want to believe, if Jim Zorn thinks that Sanchez is a good QB we should draft him. We are starring into a barrel right now with the most important position on the team and its time supporters of Jason Campbell and Colt Brennan admit this.

Next offseason we are looking at the possibility that:

Jason doesn't play great and wont be resigned.

Our number 2 QB will be 38 years old. Why would we start him?

Colt Brennan is a complete mystery. He might not be worth starting peroid

We right now are looking at a bad QB situation next offseason with possibily no starter on the team between the three players. Drafting a QB that Jim Zorn whom I trust knows a thing or two about this position might be in the best interest of the team looking forward. I wouldn't mind drafting Sanchez. I don't know the kid or much about him but I believe if Zorn thinks he's worth more to the team then drafting a LBer I will support the move completely

Of course, this is all possible, and I wasn't addressing it earlier at all, just the "smokescreen" scenario.

Keep in mind, though, that a bad year likely means the end of Zorn, and he surely knows this. So, for him to take a rookie QB (with all the subsequent issues of how he would play as a rookie, IF he were to play as a rookie), and bypass players who could help immediately, he would have to really think Campbell is beyond garbage. Or, at least think Campbell is pretty darned bad, and that he could somehow cobble together a good enough season to convince Snyder to give him one year- and think about the trouble of both halves of that sentence being true.

Unless, of course, it is Vinny/Snyder making the Sanchez call, which raises all kinds of other issues.

Slide Jansen to Left Tackle...we see how credible this source is...doesn't even realize that Samuels is way better than Jansen....Ridiculous

Agreed. This doesn't smell credible. Mere speculation as news. Welcome to modern journalism.

Good, let the rest of the league think we are taking Sanchez. That gives us more options to trade down with.

Drafting Sanchez pretty much spells the end of Jason Campbell in Washington. What kind of year would Campbell have this year as a lame duck while tutoring Sanchez? It would probably also spell doom for Zorn. It just ain't gonna happen.

Of course, this is all possible, and I wasn't addressing it earlier at all, just the "smokescreen" scenario.

Keep in mind, though, that a bad year likely means the end of Zorn, and he surely knows this. So, for him to take a rookie QB (with all the subsequent issues of how he would play as a rookie, IF he were to play as a rookie), and bypass players who could help immediately, he would have to really think Campbell is beyond garbage. Or, at least think Campbell is pretty darned bad, and that he could somehow cobble together a good enough season to convince Snyder to give him one year- and think about the trouble of both halves of that sentence being true.

Unless, of course, it is Vinny/Snyder making the Sanchez call, which raises all kinds of other issues.

Or he could think, as I do, that Sanchez might be better equipped to run THIS offense than Campbell. No way to know for sure, but I could see it.

This is garbage. This so called report completely misses the fact that we current have a Pro Bowl LT named Chris Samuels. In what alternate universe would you slide Jon Jansen to the left side after the season he had last year. I don't feel like Sanchez will be there at #13 anyway, but if he is and someone wants him would should definitely trade the pick. I hope the fans at the draft party boo if the team is dumb enough to take Sanchez with all our other problems. I feel like at this point it will definitely be an OT or linebacker at that pick.

I can see this being an attempt to pump up Sanchez's value and, thus, the #13 pick (even if he's not around any longer).

I remember a lot of people laughing at reports that we were going to draft JC........

Yep, and I was one of them.

:paranoid:

But this is more of a speculation article. Back in 2005 Lenny the Hut came out and "reported" that the Skins were going to draft Campbell.

a QB?!?!?!?

They don't quote any named or unnamed sources, so I think this is just speculation on ESPN's part, which disappoints me. I don't want a QB, but I understand the concern of having one if Campbell doesn't do well this year. Despite all the posts on this board, Brennan is going to be a career backup. I would rather the team build up its trenches with youth and give Campbell a solid last chance before planning for his demise.

How do you know Brennan is going to be a career back up? can you tell me the lotto numbers for this Tuesday, I could use the money. Tom Brady was supposed to be JUST a back up (6th Rnd, 199th pick) and low and behold. So I don't bye that. Campbell already had his Solid chance last year and this year, so this is it for him , make or break and I'm sure he knows it. If we got Sanchez it wouldn't bother me one bit, but the smart move would be to trade down and pick up a solid OLB, OT or OG and a DE or all of them in the 2nd and 3rd rounds if they can make a good trade for our 1st rnd.

Or he could think, as I do, that Sanchez might be better equipped to run THIS offense than Campbell. No way to know for sure, but I could see it.

But, again, does he think Sanchez could run the offense better as a rookie? No matter how good he thought Sanchez was, rookie QBs genrally struggle (even though some people believe Ryan and Flacco were a lot better than they really were last year), and we all know about how Zorn has talked about the time it takes to get in rhythm with the WCO. While keeping in mind that he would have to be endorsing bypassing other needs to take Sanchez.

Again, Zorn really has to have a low opinion of Campbell to think we would be better off this year with a rookie vs. JC and whatever else we could draft.

I'm not following you here. If Campbell sucks and Brennan doesn't do anything, then our record will reflect that, and so will our pick number. There's great quarterbacks every year, and nobody is calling Sanchez the next Manning. If we need a quarterback next year, the year after, or ever for that matter, then we'll draft one. We don't need a quarterback right now.

You are correct, we do not need a QB right now. That's not to say we don't need one next year. And after last season we can't believe that the team will draft for need first, they are on the record saying they like going with BPA. If Zorn thinks Sanchez is a franchise QB and is the BPA then we will draft him. That would of course be the end of the Jason Campbell experiment.

You people really underestimate Jason Campbell. With that said, we are not drafting a quarterback. Vinny Cerrato and Jim Zorn have one more year to prove to Daniel Snyder they are worthy of their titles. They are not going to bank on a Rookie QB. They're not going to bench a guy that in his first year in the offense threw no picks until his oline fell into shambles. They are not going to replace the QB when they attempted to replace the pass catching core with THREE 2nd rounders, none of them panning out their first year. Jim Zorn's main job is head coach, but he will be judged as a QB guru on how well Jason Campbell performs.

It's not rocket science, it makes no sense for them to draft a quarterback. We need linemen or linebackers. Besides guys, you are depressing the state of Hawaii, cut it out.

You are correct, we do not need a QB right now. That's not to say we don't need one next year. And after last season we can't believe that the team will draft for need first, they are on the record saying they like going with BPA. If Zorn thinks Sanchez is a franchise QB and is the BPA then we will draft him. That would of course be the end of the Jason Campbell experiment.

Zorn thinks Jason Campbell is a franchise quarterback too, you know.

I see what your saying but look at it another way which is also possible. Zorn inherited Jason Campbell. He didn't select him or choose him, Gibbs did. If Zorn was looking at being here in 2010 without Campbell he could convince Vinny and Dan that he needs some time to groom the QB of his choice to be successful. The front office if they believed he could turn the rookie into the next franchise QB, could be willing to part ways with Jason and keep Coach Zorn if he were able to show the front office the direction he wanted to take. That would involve a new QB of course. I think Dan is a reasonable man and would be open to the idea that Zorn could wwell be a good coach but Jason not a good enough QB to learn from Zorn. I can't tell you how many times I have started writing a thoughtful post here about this very idea that these two men are joined at the hip. For the record I don't believe that to be true. I think with everything that's gone down here with each of these men that Dan would be fine with one and not the other, just like he is fine with them both together.

So anyway to me if Zorn says to the front office he can't win with Jason Campbell and needs a new guy but wants a year to prep him then we could do that. Of course this new QB would have to be something special because making a statement like that could clearly cost a guy his job if it doesn't work out. But it's not out of the realm of possibilities when you consider what the entire QB position is in right now. We very well could be looking at needing to replace the starter and the backup next year if the 39 year old Collins calls it a career and Jason doesn't improve. When you are starring down the barrel of a loaded gun like this some men like to get a jump on the problem before it over takes them. Some guys just ignore it and deal with it later. I think realistically we are dealing with guys who would blow it off this season and look at it next year most likely but could be swayed into taking a different approach if the coach sees something special in dirty Sanchez

Zorn thinks Jason Campbell is a franchise quarterback too, you know.

Really? Prove it. I'd like to read what you did when you say that Coach Zorn says that Jason Campbell is a Franchise QB. Everything I've read says that he likes Jason Campbell and he is the starter. I've not read anything that says he believes that Jason is our starter for the next 10 years

It's not rocket science, it makes no sense for them to draft a quarterback. We need linemen or linebackers. Besides guys, you are depressing the state of Hawaii, cut it out.

Some people can not understand the reality that we are in right now with the most important position on the football field. We have three players all with huge huge question marks behind them:

Jason Campbell - Real deal or backup for life? One year left to answer that question. Even if we want to re-sign him he has to want to stay. Will he want to stay after everything we put him through?

Todd Collins - Very old for an NFL player, how long does he keep going? Can he play a whole season?

Colt Brennan - What do we have here? Is he a real NFL QB?

Lots of questions about each of these men, not a single one should feel confident that they are untouchable or feel as if they have job security past this season. I see reasons to draft a QB right now, I'm not saying we will, just saying I see reasons too.

Really? Prove it.

He's said it. He's also said he can be a perennial pro-bowler. If he thinks Sanchez can be that or not, it does not mean he thinks Jason can not do the same as well. A QB that has not even been drafted yet is just potential. Jason Campbell has already shown he can play in the NFL and he continues to get better season after season, even with changing offenses. There is a reason Jason Campbell is going to be the starter in 2009 and it has nothing to do with experiments. If Jason was playing poorly, Todd would be the starter.

Some people can not understand the reality that we are in right now with the most important position on the football field. We have three players all with huge huge question marks behind them:

How would you even judge a quarterback with the receivers and line we had in 2008? That question mark is there because you can't.

I see what your saying but look at it another way which is also possible. Zorn inherited Jason Campbell. He didn't select him or choose him, Gibbs did. If Zorn was looking at being here in 2010 without Campbell he could convince Vinny and Dan that he needs some time to groom the QB of his choice to be successful. The front office if they believed he could turn the rookie into the next franchise QB, could be willing to part ways with Jason and keep Coach Zorn if he were able to show the front office the direction he wanted to take. That would involve a new QB of course. I think Dan is a reasonable man and would be open to the idea that Zorn could wwell be a good coach but Jason not a good enough QB to learn from Zorn. I can't tell you how many times I have started writing a thoughtful post here about this very idea that these two men are joined at the hip. For the record I don't believe that to be true. I think with everything that's gone down here with each of these men that Dan would be fine with one and not the other, just like he is fine with them both together.

So anyway to me if Zorn says to the front office he can't win with Jason Campbell and needs a new guy but wants a year to prep him then we could do that. Of course this new QB would have to be something special because making a statement like that could clearly cost a guy his job if it doesn't work out. But it's not out of the realm of possibilities when you consider what the entire QB position is in right now. We very well could be looking at needing to replace the starter and the backup next year if the 39 year old Collins calls it a career and Jason doesn't improve. When you are starring down the barrel of a loaded gun like this some men like to get a jump on the problem before it over takes them. Some guys just ignore it and deal with it later. I think realistically we are dealing with guys who would blow it off this season and look at it next year most likely but could be swayed into taking a different approach if the coach sees something special in dirty Sanchez

The 3 big reasons I think this highly unlikely:

1. Even with an iron-clad guarantee that he would be kept around for 2010, Zorn still would have to know that a bad enough season means he is going to be gone. Zorn is hardly a star coach and with so many of them likely to be availble next season, the thought that the impatient Snyder is just gonna say "you've got two years, regardless" to a guy like Zorn seems to be stretching the bounds of credibility. And, even with such an assurance, the odds are still good that a bad enough season would cause Snyder to change his mind next December.

2. The moves of this off-season don't look at all like a franchise thinking "build for 2010". Not only the contracts we've given out, but also the restructures to players like Randle El and Griffin. The team has basically used 2010 cap money on marginal type players to create cap room to acquire players for the here and now.

3. If your sceanrio were true, it's hard to believe the team didn't get into the Cassel derby, or do more to push for a Cutler trade. Or, try to trade Campbell while he still has a year left on his contract.

What does Sanchez bring to the table that Colt doesn't? Right now I don't see what teams may be so hyped about the guy? Colt has a huge body of work in college, Sanchez very little. Talk about skewed numbers when it comes to USC players especially on offense, Sanchez has that written all over him. His whole body of work is against inferior teams across the board, the one team he faced with a winning record beat him Oregon st. a team that finished with 4 loses. Sanchez didn't see anything in the way of hard fought competition. USC's offense can make average players look great, no way I take that risk at 13.

For curiosities sake what kind of numbers do people think Colt would have put up playing at USC?

Archived