Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: Mel Kiper :Why Andre Smith wont fall past #13(does not include article)

x96bryan10

Was on the ESPN homepage and saw a link to the above stated article and thinking it applied to skins tried to click ...lo and behold my computer turns evil on me and needed reset...now when i go back i cant find the article anywhere ....I believe it was an insider article so anyone who can find this article please post it or a link .....

If asking this way is any way inappropriate in any way sorry in advance ....just delete and move on

Player Notes

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama: After a handful of off-the-field problems, Smith's stock has plummeted. But even so, Kiper said the lowest he can go is 13th to Washington. He could go seventh to Oakland, ninth to Green Bay or 10th to San Francisco, but he won't go in the top five because St. Louis is likely to take Baylor tackle Jason Smith with the second pick, and Seattle will probably go with Virginia's Eugene Monroe with the fourth pick.

Thanks was hoping for more ......I still think we need a player like him with a mean streak on our o-line....Ive played football almost my whole life and its not all about "workout warriors" and the amount they can bench....Attitude and awareness are key..

I just saw this as well but don't have an insider account any longer, here's the link as I was going to ask someone to post it, http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4011874&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft09%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d4011874

Thanks for posting paintrain. I happen to agree with Kiper, I think we're all over him if he falls in our laps. I really hope that it happens, we have such good character on the offensive line including Samuels who played @ Bama that we can overcome his immaturity. He also kind of reminds me of a young Albert Haynesworth, just a beast of a player but immature, weight issues, but man if you could get the kid's head right, watch out. I'm firmly in the draft Smith camp if he falls to us, I just hope he does!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4011874

Tuesday With Mel Kiper Jr.

Mel works overtime to bring you the latest news from the NFL Draft

Tracking team needs and player stock fluctuations, Mel Kiper Jr. is all over the NFL Draft. But first it's time for something completely different …

Teeing off on OT

When college football games go to overtime, what does Mel Kiper do? "I turn games off when games go to overtime in college -- turn 'em off!" He said college overtime rules are a "J-O-K-E," and yes, he did spell it out.

Kiper was happy that the NFL recently decided not to review its sudden-death overtime procedure. It is controversial because a coin toss decides who gets the ball first in the extra period.

"If a defense makes a stop, the other team shouldn't have a makeable field goal," he said. "They start off with that whole thing wrong from the get-go. If you want to eliminate special teams, I got a problem with that. But when you want to give a field goal kicker a chance to beat your defense when they stop you for zero yards? That is flat-out wrong."

In fact, Kiper doesn't like overtimes in general, at least not in the regular season. "If they end in a tie, they end in a tie. There's nothing wrong with that."

But as long as there is overtime, Kiper said if your defense can't stop the other team to get the ball back for your offense, then you don't deserve to win the game. "You don't deserve to play the game at all."

Oh, and if you still think NFL overtime should be like college football's overtime, this is what Kiper has to say to you: "If you think like a loser, you will be for the overtime being extended. If you think like a winner, you're satisfied with the system."

Team Needs

In order to be firing on all cylinders, the Giants should shoot for RU's Kenny Britt.

Giants: The Giants need to find someone to replace receiver Plaxico Burress, who was lost after his well-publicized firearm incident last year. This is crucial because Eli Manning is not the most accurate passer, so a player like Burress, with a "big body, that power forward mentality" will fight for balls thrown in his general vicinity. "Who has that? Kenny Britt out of Rutgers," Kiper said.

Also, the Giant could upgrade at left tackle by moving David Diehl inside to guard and finding a tackle in the draft, like Eben Britton out of Arizona.

Titans: The biggest need is at defensive end, with both Jevon Kearse and Kyle Vanden Bosch getting old. The options are Robert Ayers(Tennessee), Everette Brown (Florida State), Connor Barwin (Cincinnati) and Michael Johnson (Georgia Tech).

With Nick Harper getting old and the Titans' losing Eric King in free agency, Kiper said the Titans should look at cornerbacks. A good option would be Darius Butler from Connecticut.

Colts: GM Bill Polian is a "hall of famer" at drafting players, Kiper said. In recent years, the Colts have had especially good luck with drafting offensive players in the first round -- Joseph Addai, Reggie Wayne, Anthony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark -- and they may opt for another offensive player this year after cutting future Hall of Fame pass catcher Marvin Harrison this offseason. "Will they still go offense and draft wide receiver? They could, but wide receiver is the deepest position, along with defensive end, in this draft. You can get a good guy, second or third round."

In Round 1, Kiper said the Colts should go with defensive tackle Peria Jerry from Ole Miss, who has been under the radar all season.

Falcons: Last year, the Falcons struck gold with quarterback Matt Ryan. This year, it's time to find players on the other side of the ball. "The only offensive need I see is a pass-catching tight end, and they can probably get that between the second and fourth rounds," Kiper said. A few possibilities are Shawn Nelson out of Southern Mississippi, Jared Cook from South Carolina, James Casey from Rice, Cornelius Ingram from Florida and Travis Beckum from Wisconsin.

However, in Round 1, the Falcons should look to draft for defense. They lost two linebackers -- Keith Brooking and Michael Boley -- and they lost cornerback Domonique Foxworth to Baltimore. Safety is also a need. These secondary holes must be filled because, Kiper pointed out, Atlanta faces sharpshooting QB Drew Brees and the Saints twice a year.

As the Cutler Turns: More on Denver 'Soap Opera'

The first cut was the deepest, but the situation won't improve without better communication, according to Kiper.

If the Broncos and Jay Cutler were a dysfunctional couple, Mel Kiper would be an ideal marriage counselor.

"Communicate," he said about both Cutler and the Broncos. "I'm not going to come down hard on just Jay Cutler. For both parties now: Just work it out! If you're not going to work it out, make a trade. It's not that difficult an issue to get done."

Kiper, who earlier called Cutler overrated, labeled the entire drama a "soap opera." If Kiper were Cutler, this is how he would think: "I'm the man; I will show you I'm the man as we get to know each other and move forward. End of story.

"To me, just shut up and play football."

If the Broncos and Cutler don't work out their differences, a trade is possible, Kiper said. The Lions, the Buccaneers and the Jets are possible trading partners. But if Denver does opt for a trade, Kiper said, "They have to come out of this deal with a quarterback. You can't deal Jay Cutler to get nothing.

"I don't know how [new Broncos head coach] Josh McDaniel feels about Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez. But that's the whole key to the ballgame: Do you feel Matthew Stafford's the right man for the job? If you do, you can make that trade if you're Josh McDaniel. You get a fresh start with your quarterback. You're not taking over and inheriting a guy you don't really feel good about. … This way, you get a fresh start, a new era."

But if McDaniel makes a trade and drafts a quarterback, he will be linked to that player forever.

"That's what's going to make or break you," Kiper said.

Player Notes

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama: After a handful of off-the-field problems, Smith's stock has plummeted. But even so, Kiper said the lowest he can go is 13th to Washington. He could go seventh to Oakland, ninth to Green Bay or 10th to San Francisco, but he won't go in the top five because St. Louis is likely to take Baylor tackle Jason Smith with the second pick, and Seattle will probably go with Virginia's Eugene Monroe with the fourth pick.

Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland: With strong workouts, Heyward-Bey is moving up draft boards, but the highest Kiper is going to move him is No. 18 to Chicago. If he does drop, he won't drop too far because 12 of the teams picking in the latter half of the first round need a receiver.

Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina: From the combine to the workout, he went from 212 lbs to 226 lbs. "From the teams I've talked to, that's a red flag," Kiper said. But Nicks is still a first-rounder.

Take the posterchild for gynecomastia at pick #13? I don't think so. :nono:

Just say no to Mr. C cup Vinny.

Looks to me that guy is not on steroids. Seems his base strength and talent have him ranked so highly. Seems he might actually pass some drug tests, at least for performance enhancers, during his career when they will surely be getting tighter in the near future. Seems some of you want to lump him in with the likes of Pacman due to some stupid youthful missteps made by a very young lineman (who surely didn't attend college on an academic scholarship) even though he hasn't even been reported close to breaking any laws or getting in real trouble. Seems some of you are WAAAAAY too occupied with his looks.??????

That might explain why you can't identify cup sizes very well. Not your area of expertise. Those are clearly B's.

I am leaning towards preferring us to tradedown, but if this kid is available, we should give him a shot. Vinny isn't so good at finding hidden talent. If Smith can perform at the level he has been in that shape, surely we can train him up so you guys will find him more attractive.

Looks to me that guy is not on steroids. Seems his base strength and talent have him ranked so highly. Seems he might actually pass some drug tests, at least for performance enhancers, during his career when they will surely be getting tighter in the near future. Seems some of you want to lump him in with the likes of Pacman due to some stupid youthful missteps made by a very young lineman (who surely didn't attend college on an academic scholarship) even though he hasn't even been reported close to breaking any laws or getting in real trouble. Seems some of you are WAAAAAY too occupied with his looks.??????

That might explain why you can't identify cup sizes very well. Not your area of expertise. Those are clearly B's.

I am leaning towards preferring us to tradedown, but if this kid is available, we should give him a shot. Vinny isn't so good at finding hidden talent. If Smith can perform at the level he has been in that shape, surely we can train him up so you guys will find him more attractive.

I agree with that come one the guy was an outland trophy winner...he went from the top rated OT on the board to maybe falling righ to us...People can't honestly say that if we draft him our Oline coach and veteans won't make him a probowl caliber RT. If Smith is there at 13 he IS the pick.

I won't mind at all if he falls to us ... he won't need to start immediately, which makes his potential even more attractive. Buges will whip his butt into shape ... and let the competition at RT begin.

Landing AS would be excellent IMO, the guy is massive. Obviously not the smartest, but look at the tape. He dominated every DE and DT he went up against, and he played on a team that was in the running for a national title. The tape doesn't lie. As long as we don't throw him to the wolves I think he can become a great player on our OL for years to come.

I won't mind at all if he falls to us ... he won't need to start immediately, which makes his potential even more attractive. Buges will whip his butt into shape ... and let the competition at RT begin.

Landing AS would be excellent IMO, the guy is massive. Obviously not the smartest, but look at the tape. He dominated every DE and DT he went up against, and he played on a team that was in the running for a national title. The tape doesn't lie. As long as we don't throw him to the wolves I think he can become a great player on our OL for years to come.

+1

If he is as 13 then the pick better be up there in 2 minutes

Drafting this guy at 13 would be a steal of Randy Moss type of proportions. coming out of school he had all the red flags. He slipped to 17 and played w/ a chip on his shoulder his entire record breaking rookie year. Similarly Moss had a vet. at his same position to help him transition to the NFL. Carter is to Moss as Samuels is to Smith. If we pass on Smith it could be a huge mistake that could set us back a decade..... Think about it, drafting samuels has been the best pick up in over a decade. How many tackles since Samuels have been as good? Franchise tackles are very hard to find. And to get one that i believe is the best in this draft by far (despite poor workouts) and only pay him #13 money. its a no brainer.

Drafting this guy at 13 would be a steal of Randy Moss type of proportions. coming out of school he had all the red flags. He slipped to 17 and played w/ a chip on his shoulder his entire record breaking rookie year. Similarly Moss had a vet. at his same position to help him transition to the NFL. Carter is to Moss as Samuels is to Smith. If we pass on Smith it could be a huge mistake that could set us back a decade..... Think about it, drafting samuels has been the best pick up in over a decade. How many tackles since Samuels have been as good? Franchise tackles are very hard to find. And to get one that i believe is the best in this draft by far (despite poor workouts) and only pay him #13 money. its a no brainer.

I agree, except Andre Smith hasn't broken the law. he is incredibly talented.

While he doesn't have good "workouts" he is very coordinated and has great footwork as evident in his game play and blocking drills.

Tony Manderich (sp.?) had a great physique and all the workout numbers, as di Archuleta... but, those can be overrated as to what they do on the field.

Andre Smith may be flabby, but he is a gifted blocking offensive lineman.

The only bad thing he did in college, was talk to an agent before the season was over.

Lots of reports have Jason Smith going to the Lions, I still have a hard time seeing them pass up Stafford. I think the Redskins likely take Andre Smith if he falls to 13 unless Orakpo somehow falls but he's a young guy and they probably think Chris Samuels can help him

Archived