Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike M of NFL.com top 20 list

wilco_holland

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80d41b6d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Mike Mayock's top 20 players for the 2009 NFL DraftRkPlayerPos.SchoolPro Day workout

Aaron CurryLBWake ForestMarch 23

Eugene MonroeOTVirginiaMarch 19

Michael CrabtreeWRTexas TechBrandt: Crabtree sits out pro day after surgery

Jason SmithOTBaylorBrandt: Smith attracts many scouts

Robert AyersDETennesseeMarch 11

Knowshon MorenoRBGeorgiaMarch 19

Brandon PettigrewTEOklahoma StateBrandt: Pettigrew's workout put on hold

Matthew StaffordQBGeorgiaMarch 19

Jeremy MaclinWRMissouriMarch 19

Brian OrakpoDE/LBTexasMarch 25

B.J. RajiDTBoston CollegeBrandt: Raji participates in positional drills

Mark SanchezQBUSCApril 1

Andre SmithOTAlabamaBrandt: Smith turns in poor times at pro day

Vontae DavisCBIllinoisMarch 18

Percy HarvinWRFloridaMarch 15

Peria JerryDTMississippiMarch 26

Malcolm JenkinsCBOhio StateBrandt: Jenkins tries to improve 40-yard dash times

Josh FreemanQBKansas StateBrandt: Freeman is a hot prospect

Brian CushingLBUSCApril 1

Larry English

LBNorthern Illinois

March 27

Wauw he is realy high on Robert Ayers and were are DE Brown, Maybine LB Ray M.

I am pretty shocked about this list....do we now realy need to think about drafting Ayers? He is one of the view DE's that could work in our D#.....but a lot of people have him as a second round pick, is Mike (again) hyping a player up?

I am not buying Mayocks list. Where's Maualuga, where's Maybin? He likes Ayers way too much.

He does a better job evaluating talent from College to Pros than any other person on TV.

He is the one who said Cutler would be the best out of the Young, Leinert, Cutler group. Everyone said he was crazy for that. Now look.

Most people get caught up in what a player did in college and think they will translate to the NFL. But he has a good "eye" for noticing the actual talent that CAN translate to the NFL.

He does a better job evaluating talent from College to Pros than any other person on TV.

He is the one who said Cutler would be the best out of the Young, Leinert, Cutler group. Everyone said he was crazy for that. Now look.

Most people get caught up in what a player did in college and think they will translate to the NFL. But he has a good "eye" for noticing the actual talent that CAN translate to the NFL.

Cutler wasn't that hard to call. VY was a one year wonder and Leinart was stacked with talent around him. I saw things the same way, except I thought VY and Leinart would both be failures and Cutler would be more than a failure. That would make Cutler better.

What a player does in college IS important. Name a great defensive end who was as unproductive in college as Ayers. You won't find one. Sure, you'll find plenty of bad defensive ends who were more productive, but you won't find any good ones who were as unproductive. All things being fair, I wouldn't mind Ayers if we traded to the bottom of the first round, he fits in as a Phillip Daniels-type. Never going to be a great pass rusher but he'll be solid against the run. But you don't draft run-stopping defensive ends in the top half of the first round.

Cutler wasn't that hard to call. VY was a one year wonder and Leinart was stacked with talent around him. I saw things the same way, except I thought VY and Leinart would both be failures and Cutler would be more than a failure. That would make Cutler better.

Well congratulations. I thought the same thing. My point is that Mayock does a better job at evaluating NFL talent in the collegiate ranks than most others on TV.

What a player does in college IS important. Name a great defensive end who was as unproductive in college as Ayers. You won't find one. Sure, you'll find plenty of bad defensive ends who were more productive, but you won't find any good ones who were as unproductive. All things being fair, I wouldn't mind Ayers if we traded to the bottom of the first round, he fits in as a Phillip Daniels-type. Never going to be a great pass rusher but he'll be solid against the run. But you don't draft run-stopping defensive ends in the top half of the first round.

That is an empty argument. "Name a great defensive end who was as unproductive in college as Ayers." Hmmm. Lets think about that. You want me to find a GREAT defensive end, which presumeably means a Hall of Famer who was as unproductive in college as a player who has yet to be drafted? Why bother? Apples to Oranges. No one called Ayers great or said he will be a great defensive end.

I don't think Mayock is saying Ayers will be a GREAT defensive end. He is ranking THIS draft class. Its an isolated class. I think it says more about what he thinks of the class as a whole than he does the particular player.

:cheers:

Larry English (6-2, 254 lbs, 4.7 40) is a guy I'm keeping my eye on. No one is talking about him but from the research I've done, he looks like a great prospect at DE for the Skins opposite Carter. Taking him at 13 might be a bit high (although the Sporting News mocks him there for the Skins) but if the Skins can trade back and still land this guy, I would be psyched. Here are some snippits...

Sporting news (3rd ranked DE):

"Bottom Line: English is one of the most productive prospects in this year's draft and is adept against both the run and the pass. His sack numbers would have been higher if he wasn't double-teamed so much. English is a complete player and solid first-round prospect who figures to have a long NFL career."

Pro Football Weekly (7th ranked DE):

"Upside: Good athlete with a short-area burst and initial quickness to beat tackles to the high side. Tough and played with a cast on right hand most of his senior season...Athletic enough to zone-drop. Smart and competitive. Four year starter. Good career production-NIU's career sacks leader. Team captain. Great intangibles."

Lindy's Pro Football (3rd ranked OLB):

"Read & React:...cognizant at point of attack and was rarely fooled by misdirection...

Run defense:Surprisingly effective as a run defender from his customary weak-side DE position. Good arm length to keep the tackle at bay and recognizes the run quickly...

Tackling: Secure wrap-up tackler...Can break down in space to make the open-field tackle. Closes quickly and flashes some explosiveness as a hitter.

Pass rush: Natural pass rusher. Good upfield burst off the snap. Has the speed to challenge the tackle wide and the ability to redirect inside. Quick, violent hands...

Intangibles: High-effort player...Good motor and hustle."

Those are his superlatives, as for the negatives they interestingly antithetical among these three sources (The Sporting News appears VERY high on English and negatives were tough to find):

The Sporting News: "...Can be shaken in space and is a better tackler in tight quarters than in the open field."

Pro Football Weekly: "Lacks ideal height. Can be engulfed by big bodies. Cannot fight pressure easily. Lacks core strength. Struggles to convert quickness into power and does not play violently. Does not show many counter moves....Suffered a variety of injuries throughout career"

Lindy's Pro Football: (lists him as an OLB convert) "...lacks ideal bulk to hold up at DE."

Wow, Moreno that high!!!!

Finally, someone else has a bro-mance with Moreno too. It's vindicating. He is a phenomenal prospect--the most complete running back to come out in a long time. I would love to take him at 13 (or even later if we can manage that).

But everyone will feel the same way too after he crushes his pro-day.

Mayock may have a point with Ayers...Tennessee has been a defensive line producing machine..Reggie White, John Henderson, ALBERT HAYNESWORTH last year 1st round guy Justin Harrell.

Harrell came out two years ago, and he isn't a good prospect to mention since Green Bay isn't all that impressed with him.

Moreno is the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. I hope to god the Eagles get this guy.

I don't care.....you guys can't get any running holes between the tackles wenn ya play the Skins d-line, so Moreno and Westbrook can only kick it outside and there will be a Safety or a OLB to tackle him. :D

Ron Jawrorski called it for Cutler the same day of the draft. He said he thought Cutler's entagibles translated better to the Pro Game than any of the other pospects like Lienart and Young. He even got in a big argument on the air with some of the people on ESPN who called him crazy, but he was right. He should know, being a QB himself and evaluating as much tape as he does.

Moreno is the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. I hope to god the Eagles get this guy.

That is a bit of an empty statement. Peterson came out two years ago. And just because he is the best SINCE then, doesn't really mean much. Yes the kid is a great prospect, but he ain't no Peterson.

NOBODY is Adrian Peterson. He's one of a kind. The only guy I would even think about comparing to Adrian Peterson is Ladanian Tomlinson... and even then, I am actually comparing Adrian Peterson to Ladanian Tomlinson!

AP was special since his first day in college. He replaced another already promising strong young (sophmore) running back at Oklahoma that they had, so you knew he had to be good.

Adrian Peterson is unique in that he's a bruising Running Back, but he's got lightning speed and reflexes. LT isn't quite as fast or tough, but has better hands (ala Marshall Faulk).

Archived