Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So far has the team improved from 2008?

bigevhfan

We all know the (2) major weaknesses on this team from last year were pass protection and the ability to get to the quarterback with our front four. I ask myself, has Snyderato really improved this team this offseason to date? I have to say no way. Hayensworth beefs up a number 4 rated defense and will make our rush defense stronger. But our DE situation has gotten worse with Taylor gone and Evans departure leaving us thin in depth. So far, the DE situation is scary. Let's hope the FO isn't taking this forgranted and is preparing to do something with draft and the rest of free agency. I'm shocked that we haven't addressed the O-line more, specifically the right tackle position. We seem to be content with Heyer/Jansen battling it out? Didn't work out so well last year. And while I'm glad to have Dockery back, I don't think he is much, if any, improvement over Kendall. Anyone else out there think we are any better than the 8-8 team we were last year? As of now, I don't.

Well we still have unknown production from receivers, o-line, d-end, and QB. We are short on linebacking.

So as of now, no.

Our d-tackle is improved, and our o-line should have more depth. So yes in those areas.

We have too many question marks to know if we will go 12-4 or 4-12.

On paper, I think we are. As long as we bring in at least one more starting OL via the draft, I think we're in good shape.

However, things on paper never work out for the Redskins, so I'm not optimistic.

Forget about Daniels. Make a big time push for Willis from Seattle if Zorn and Stump knows he can handle the RT position. Make a push for Igor of SD. Most importantly sign Hunter Smith already. We need to spend our 1st three draft picks on OL & LB.

We havent released any key players or let anyone leave via FA.

We signed Haynesworth and Dockery.

So yes, i think we have improved. Whether these moves will improve us from an 8-8 season is a different story.

If you compare it to PRIOR to last season we lost Marcus Washington, Jason Taylor, and Shawn Springs. I would say on paper it's a loss given the injuries that we saw and how people may return. Too many key lineman are up there in age.

We definitely have improved.

We addressed a problem at guard.

We signed a real defensive tackle.

We retained one of our star corners while making the other one happy.

We lost people who needed to go and that only benefited our cap situation.

I'm not saying that we're Super Bowl-bound, but the question was if we've improved, and we have. The only way to measure that now is by asking if we've gained better players and lost lesser players. The answer is yes.

No. We are worse so far.

Everyone aged one year.....including our running backs, and we signed one new defensive star.

Overall, definitely worse. Hopefully the draft and another FA can improve that somewhat.

We have improved overall, but not greatly. Haynesworth is a huge plus, resigning Hall to play a full season for us and getting Dockery back are both great.

I think now that Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly have a year in the NFL under their belt, they'll have the experience and motivation to get as fit as possible and show some production on the field. The "wow, we're in the nfl!" mentality is over for them and I expect good things.

So yeah, overall we're up.

No. We are worse so far.

Everyone aged one year.....including our running backs, and we signed one new defensive star.

Overall, definitely worse. Hopefully the draft and another FA can improve that somewhat.

Are you sure that you are a fan of this team?

Everyone got a year older makes our team worse? Even for you, McD5, that's one of the stupidest things that I've ever read.

Everyone got a haircut and likely discarded any lucky charms that they may have carried on the field. I heard that Alexander got into a fender bender. We're DEFINITELY worse off.

We definitely have improved.

We retained one of our star corners while making the other one happy.

We lost people who needed to go and that only benefited our cap situation.

That isn't an on-field improvement. That would be status quo.

The problem is that we lost Springs. When healthy, still the top of the class that we had.

TO vs Springs? No problem.

TO vs our corners now? Cross your fingers and hope that Hall plays like he did here last year, and not like he did in the first half of the year.

Forget about Daniels. Make a big time push for Willis from Seattle if Zorn and Stump knows he can handle the RT position. Make a push for Igor of SD. Most importantly sign Hunter Smith already. We need to spend our 1st three draft picks on OL & LB.

I agree with your wanted moves, except fail to see why everyone is so excited to see Willis with the Redskins. To me, he doesn't seem better than Heyer. Now I didn't see any Seahawks games except when the Redskins played, so I can't speak firsthand knowledge, but the facts remain.

Heyer started 5 games rookie year, 7 games last year. He was the starter at RT when we had the great production with Collins, Portis, and Moss to wrap up the 2007 season. He now has experience at both LT and RT and has spent 2 years being coached up by Bugel.

Willis spent his first 3 years on the bench. He was in and out of the starting lineup this past year for the Seahawks. Started 10 games total in his career. 5 of which were at guard (versatility yes, but if we're looking at him as a starter at RT?). Now, of course it doesn't fall all on Willis, but Seahawks were 5th worst in offense last year. They gave up 13th most sacks (about on par with the Redskins). Just saying that he wasn't part of any celebrated OL and he had limited gametime experience.

If we go after an OT left in FA, I'd rather go after Khalif Barnes, who's started 57 games in 4 years for the Jaguars and helped create holes for Taylor and MJD.

Everyone got a year older makes our team worse? Even for you, McD5, that's one of the stupidest things that I've ever read.

Everyone got a haircut and likely discarded any lucky charms that they may have carried on the field. I heard that Alexander got into a fender bender. We're DEFINITELY worse off.

On paper he is correct. Not sure how that makes his response stupid.

We don't know if our oline is improved, it was aging and now it's a year older at most positions.

Our d-ends are worse on paper.

Our linebackers are worse on paper.

Our corners are a draw.

Our receivers are a HUGE question mark.

Yeah. Our old offensive line that broke down halfway through the season last year......just got older, with the exception of Dockery.

How many games can they make it this season? Halfway again, or even less now with age?

And do you think our running backs are getting faster with age?

What about Fletcher? Is this the year he loses a step?

Huge fan.....also realistic. Definitely worse so far.

On paper he is correct. Not sure how that makes his response stupid.

We don't know if our oline is improved, it was aging and now it's a year older at most positions.

Our d-ends are worse on paper.

Our linebackers are worse on paper.

Our corners are a draw.

Our receivers are a HUGE question mark.

Thanks. I want this team to rock, and hate negativity, but damn. It isn't like signing Haynesworth means we are a lock for the Superbowl.

And hate to point out one more thing......but not sure that our corners are a draw.

Yeah, Springs was always injured. But what group of corners is better?

Springs, Carlos, Hall and Smoot

Carlos, Hall, Smoot and Tryon?

We can't afford an injury to Carlos or Hall for sure.

Defensively, we've improved a lot.

Daniels is a great run stopper, decent pass rusher and Haynesworth can line-up at end. Offenses will double team Haynesworth, freeing Griff and Daniels, both are big boys able to overpower a single blocker. I think Haynesworth will make Carter a pro-bowler.

We still need a linebacker and maybe a safety, but the D-line is definitely better.

Offensively, it could go either way.

Dockery is the best pulling guard in the league, the question is weather Zorn will call plays that take advantage of our strength like he did the first 8 games of last year, or call dink-n-donk WCO plays Campbell is not equipped to handle because he can't read defenses and has a slow release.

My guess is that we'll be like the Ravens, a strong D and a weak O 'til we get a better QB, no matter who the receivers are.

Anyone else out there think we are any better than the 8-8 team we were last year? As of now, I don't.

Right now, I agree with you. It seems like our FO is deliberately ignoring our gaping wounds on offense & I have no idea why? I feel like Danny & Vinny are so proud of themselves for always spending more money then anyone else, yet it never seems to yield the results that they (we) want. They just can't seem to help themselves. They see a guy on the market that will break records as far as salary goes & like a woman in a shoe store, they just can't seem to say no. It's infuriating.

have we improved from last year? Yes.

1. Haynesworth - if he gets 4 sacks... we've made an improvement to the D-Line. Taylor was hurt pretty much all season, and while i really had high hopes for him this offseason.. nobody can say they dont like the cap space.

2. 2nd year in the offense. Yeah, it's not really gonna work if we cant keep JC on his feet, but the entire offense (Kelly and Thomas included) have a year of this offense under their belt. While it might not be something tanigible... it definately cant HURT anything.

3. Zorn has a year of experience... meaning his judgement is going to be different. Another completely intangible thing that cant be seen on paper, but then again.. how many times have people said we were "great" on paper... and it not worked out.

I hate to break this to you, but our O-Line getting a year older is really a bad thing. They really started showing their age about midway thru the season last year & tired doesn't even describe how they looked come week 17. We are definately NOT better right now. Plain & simple.

have we improved from last year? Yes.

1. Haynesworth - if he gets 4 sacks... we've made an improvement to the D-Line. Taylor was hurt pretty much all season, and while i really had high hopes for him this offseason.. nobody can say they dont like the cap space.

Cap space means nothing if they continuously spend it in all the wrong places!

2. 2nd year in the offense. Yeah, it's not really gonna work if we cant keep JC on his feet, but the entire offense (Kelly and Thomas included) have a year of this offense under their belt. While it might not be something tanigible... it definately cant HURT anything.

It can hurt if the O-Line doesn't improve. No matter what JC tries to do with the WRs, RB, FBs, TEs...the O-Line HAS to improve for this offense to get off the ground. Right now, I am not even close to confident that they even realize that the O-Line is a problem.

3. Zorn has a year of experience... meaning his judgement is going to be different. Another completely intangible thing that cant be seen on paper, but then again.. how many times have people said we were "great" on paper... and it not worked out.

Agreed. Hopefully, I am dead wrong about what they are doing & the needs they are addressing...I don't think I am, but I hope I am.

I hate to break this to you, but our O-Line getting a year older is really a bad thing. They really started showing their age about midway thru the season last year & tired doesn't even describe how they looked come week 17. We are definately NOT better right now. Plain & simple.

Sure the Oline is older, just like everyone in the NFL. The Skins can't fix everything at once no matter how they might have tried in the past. But i do think they have addressed needs and improved and gotten younger in key areas. But have gotten younger with quality players.

Archived