Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good Novel about Criminal Mastermind?

Chiefinonhaze

When I was 12, 13 I was absolutely obsessed with the Mafia. Read every book I could. This is by far my favorite. It's about the Chicago mob boss Sam Giancana; written by his brother and godson. I'm sure most of it is bull**** and myths but it's still a great story. Talks about JFK and RFK assassination, about Marilyn Monroe being murdered, about working with the CIA to take out Castro, etc. All that stuff. GREAT story.

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Cross-Explosive-Mobster-Controlled/dp/0446516244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235616128&sr=1-1

Double Cross: The Explosive, Inside Story of the Mobster Who Controlled America

by Chuck Giancana, Sam Giancana

In the no-holds-barred tradition of The Valachi Papers and Wiseguy, this insider expose of mob boss Sam Giancana, written by his brother Chuck and his godson Sam, blows the lid off some of the Mafia's most shocking secrets. Includes stunning first-time revelations concerning the deaths of JFK, Marilyn Monroe, and RFK. 16 pages of photographs.

Here's one:

Into The Mirror: The Life Of Master Spy Robert P. Hanssen By Lawrence Schiller

Not sure if he'd be considered a mastermind but he duped a lot of people for a long amount of time at the top levels of gov't (I'm not entirely sure that's all that hard a task). The question remains: was his strict religious life a ruse ?

They did a decent movie on this guy a couple years back, forget the name. Help me people...

Sammy Gravano's account of his time as underboss for John Gotti was pretty good.

"Underboss"

(he turned witness and spilled his guts. Still in hiding)

I thought he was in jail in AZ for running an ectasy ring with his kids.

A good one is "Accardo: The Genuine Godfather" by Bill Roemer.

Killing Pablo is one of the best non-fiction books ive ever read. Its by Mark Bowden, the guy that wrote Black Hawk Down. It is about the life and crimes of Pablo Escobar, Columbian drug lord and all around evil guy, his terrorist campaign against the government of Columbia and the CIA's manhunt for him. Incredible book.

Pablo wasnt really a mastermind, he was just a more brutal thug than anyone else. He had a saying about bribing people. "Silver or lead." Meaning, he would offer someone like a judge a bribe of a few hundred thousand dollars (his silver) or shoot their family.(his lead). Not many people turned him down. He was also one of the 10 richest people in the world at one point.

Killing Pablo is one of the best non-fiction books ive ever read. Its by Mark Bowden, the guy that wrote Black Hawk Down. It is about the life and crimes of Pablo Escobar, Columbian drug lord and all around evil guy, his terrorist campaign against the government of Columbia and the CIA's manhunt for him. Incredible book.

Pablo wasnt really a mastermind, he was just a more brutal thug than anyone else. He had a saying about bribing people. "Silver or lead." Meaning, he would offer someone like a judge a bribe of a few hundred thousand dollars (his silver) or shoot their family.(his lead). Not many people turned him down. He was also one of the 10 richest people in the world at one point.

Another book that covers similar territory is "Kings of Cocaine: Inside the Medellin Cartel. An Astonishing True Story of Murder, Money and International Corruption." This was a fascinating, frightening, well-researched book about the violent gang that controlled 80% of the world's cocaine market.

Former Washington Post reporter Guy Gugliotta, who went on to the Miami Herald, is one of the authors. It came out in 1989, so obviously it's a bit dated, but it's probably the best account out there of the inner workings of the violent cocaine cartel that grew to such prominence then.

http://www.amazon.com/Cocaine-Medellin-Astonishing-International-Corruption/dp/0671649574/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Archived